Countdown to September 1st vs Ball State (Top 250 Vols)

90 days...........

#90 - Tim Priest

Tim Priest, a native of Huntingdon, played quarterback at Huntingdon High School from 1964-66, earning All State honors his senior season. Priest then signed a football scholarship with the University of Tennessee where he went on to be named team captain, earning All-SEC honors in 1970. Though he was a successful quarterback at the high school level, Head Coach Doug Dickey saw potential in Priest as a defensive back and thus began a three-year career in which Priest was a member of one of the most heralded defensive backfields in Tennessee history.

In 1970, the quartet of Bobby Majors, David Allen, Conrad Graham and Priest set the still-existing SEC and school records of 36 interceptions. A modest Priest contends he was simply a member of the group, but he remains today Tennessee’s career leader in interceptions with 18. He led the team in 1969 with seven interceptions and recorded nine during the 1970 campaign, the one season he played under Bill Battle. His career interception return yardage of 305 stood as the UT record for 39 years until this season when Eric Berry passed the mark and extended it to its current figure of 487. Three times during his career, Priest intercepted passes late in games to secure Vols victories. Tennessee teams on which Priest played had a 28-5-1 record, claiming one SEC championship (1969) and capturing a 1971 Sugar Bowl win over Air Force. Priest was named 2nd team All- SEC in 1969 and 1st team All-SEC in 1970.

5B21A494-293D-4010-8285-82CDF17CDA8B.png

@peaygolf making a slight adjustment before #90
this-is-spinal-tap-this-goes-to11.gif
90 days...........

#90 - Tim Priest

Tim Priest, a native of Huntingdon, played quarterback at Huntingdon High School from 1964-66, earning All State honors his senior season. Priest then signed a football scholarship with the University of Tennessee where he went on to be named team captain, earning All-SEC honors in 1970. Though he was a successful quarterback at the high school level, Head Coach Doug Dickey saw potential in Priest as a defensive back and thus began a three-year career in which Priest was a member of one of the most heralded defensive backfields in Tennessee history.

In 1970, the quartet of Bobby Majors, David Allen, Conrad Graham and Priest set the still-existing SEC and school records of 36 interceptions. A modest Priest contends he was simply a member of the group, but he remains today Tennessee’s career leader in interceptions with 18. He led the team in 1969 with seven interceptions and recorded nine during the 1970 campaign, the one season he played under Bill Battle. His career interception return yardage of 305 stood as the UT record for 39 years until this season when Eric Berry passed the mark and extended it to its current figure of 487. Three times during his career, Priest intercepted passes late in games to secure Vols victories. Tennessee teams on which Priest played had a 28-5-1 record, claiming one SEC championship (1969) and capturing a 1971 Sugar Bowl win over Air Force. Priest was named 2nd team All- SEC in 1969 and 1st team All-SEC in 1970.

View attachment 460959

Reactions: Orange.
Nothing!

It's an old Spinal Tap Joke, the band had a specialty amp built that went to "11" instead of 10.
I'm just saying you're turning it up a tier as you get into the top 90.

No screw up on your end. My meme game sucks if anything.
Haha!!!!
great movie btw!

It’s about to get tough for me…….I want to put my favorite all time player much higher, but I have to be truthful and transparent. :(

I’m looking forward to some debate ….and criticism……from you knuckleheads.

Remember……this is MY top 250. Not necessarily etched in stone by the masses. ;)
I'm ambivalent about that.......

I've stated before that anyone who waits until the top 100 to criticize or debate your list should have to first post their 250-100 rankings with equivalent research.
I'm concealing an ulterior motive behind that very sincere praise of your work for these yearly Countdown threads.
A few of you guys have become like street graffiti artists to me with your sticky threads.

I don't want uncouth knuckleheads like myself spray painting stuff like;
"CoUlDn'T bEeT FloriDUh",
all throughout the gaps and negative space of your mural.

I'm ambivalent about that.......

I've stated before that anyone who waits until the top 100 to criticize or debate your list should have to first post their 250-100 rankings with equivalent research.
I'm concealing an ulterior motive behind that very sincere praise of your work for these yearly Countdown threads.
A few of you guys have become like street graffiti artists to me with your sticky threads.

I don't want uncouth knuckleheads like myself spray painting stuff like;
"CoUlDn'T bEeT FloriDUh",
all throughout the gaps and negative space of your mural.
Thanks…..I have fun doing this stuff.

89 days……

#89 - Robert Meachem

Meachem arrived in 2003 out of Oklahoma, but suffered an injury in preseason camp and redshirted. In his first season in 2004, he played in all 13 games and led the Vols in receiving with 459 yards with 25 receptions. He had the teams only 100 yard receiving game vs Kentucky (145.) His electric first season helped UT to the SECCG and a Cotton Bowl victory. In 2005, Meachem was a bright spot on a bad team. He lead the Vols again with 29 receptions for 383 yards and 2TDs. 2006 was a breakout season for Robert. He opened the season with 182 yards and 2 TDs vs Cal, and would continue his great play the entire season. He would have 5 more 100 yard games, and finished the season with 71 receptions for a UT record 1,298 yards. He also scored 11 touchdowns. He was named 1st team All-SEC and was 1st team All-American by five different agencies. He entered the NFL draft after his RS junior year. Meachem finished his UT career with 125 receptions for 2,140 yards and 17 touchdowns. He was a 1st round pick by the Saints and helped them win Super Bowl XLIV.

F438CA35-4BF0-4B39-922F-03E35841CB6B.png

88 days…….

#88 - Kelley Washington

Washington arrived in Knoxville as a 21 year old freshman, after playing professional baseball for a few years. Quickly, it was apparent he was a man among boys. He caught 64 passes for 1,010 yards and 5 TDs, while being named Freshman All-American and 2nd team All-SEC. In the regular season game vs LSU, Washington caught 11 passes for a UT record 256 yards. He would have easily been a 1st round pick in the draft, but decided to return for one more season in 2002. Injuries limited him to only four games, but he still managed 23 receptions for 443 yards, including three 100 yard games. He declared for the draft and was chosen in the 3rd round by the Bengals. For his short 16 game career in Knoxville, Washington had 87 receptions for 1,453 yards and 6 TDs. To this day, he is one of the most dynamic players in UT history. I just whisper we could have seen more of him. If so, he would be easily in the top 10 Vols ever.

1618DAE5-CCB0-4155-89A5-FCCF45BDD2D1.png

90 days...........

#90 - Tim Priest

View attachment 460959

If I remember correctly, this secondary had the nickname "Bennett's Bandits," after their secondary coach, Buddy Bennett. I think his first name was Buddy. Anyway, I read somewhere last football season that Georgia's QB, Stetson Bennett, is Coach Bennett's grandson.

87 days……

#87 - Dick Huffman

Huffman was a powerful tackle from West Virginia. He started at right tackle for the 1942 Vols before returning to Tennessee in 1946, after military service. He was a 1st team All- American and All-SEC after the four-year break from football. With Huffman anchoring the line, the Vols made a full return to prominence in the South, winning the 1946 SEC Championship with a 9-2 record. Huffman and the defensive line held five opponents to seven points or less, collecting two shutouts in the closing years of the two-way player. Huffman was one of only two players to earn All-America honors in six seasons following World War II. He is widely regarded as on of the best pure tackles in Tennessee history.
In 1945, Huffman was drafted by the Cleveland Browns. He was then traded to the Los Angeles Rams where he played from 1947-1950 and was named to one Pro Bowl before being lured to the Canadian Football League by the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. Huffman was a two-way tackle known for his tremendous strength and agility.
In his final season with the Bombers, Huffman was selected to the All-Star Team as both an offensive and defensive tackle. Sports reports suggested that “enemy quarterbacks simply ran their plays away from Dick Huffman.” He was nominated twice for each of the Schenley Outstanding Lineman Award and the Schenley Outstanding Player Award.
Huffman played for the Bombers from 1951-1955 and the Calgary Stampeders from 1956-57. Huffman earned All-Western offensive tackle honors in 1952, 1954 and 1957. He was named All-Western defensive tackle in 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956 and 1957. Huffman was the first former Tennessee player to be inducted into the Canadian Football League Hall of Fame in 1987.

66AC5170-1986-4031-ADFB-8600B6E0A749.png

86 days……

#86 - Travis Stephens

Stephens had an unusual ride in Knoxville. He arrived in 1997 and had limited playing time. In ‘98, with a crowded backfield, he managed to gain 477 yards and 4 TDs during the NC season. He had four starts and gained over 100 yards vs Georgia. He also chipped in 60 yards vs FSU. In 1999, he was redshirted due to the firepower in the Vols backfield. As a redshirt junior in 2000, he was a backup to Travis Henry, and finished with 359 yards and 7 touchdowns. He had an 80 yard TD vs UK and acrobatic scores vs UGA, Memphis, and Arkansas. His final season in 2001 goes down as one of the greatest in school history. 291 carries, 1,454 yards and 10 touchdowns. He had two, 200 plus yard games and five others over 100 yards. His 226 yard effort (on 19 carries) vs UF will forever be etched in Volunteer lore. His 1,454 yards is a season record and he was named 1st team All-SEC and 1st team All-American. For his career, he had 2,336 yards and 21 TDs on the ground. Yes, most was done in one season, but he only really had one season to prove himself, and did he ever……
Stephens was drafted in the 4th round by Tampa Bay and had 1 career reception in his only year in the league. He was part of the Bucs Super Bowl winning team in his lone season.

0CD1CD26-7C96-4471-B732-8A509BB2069A.png

86 days……

#86 - Travis Stephens

Stephens had an unusual ride in Knoxville. He arrived in 1997 and had limited playing time. In ‘98, with a crowded backfield, he managed to gain 477 yards and 4 TDs during the NC season. He had four starts and gained over 100 yards vs Georgia. He also chipped in 60 yards vs FSU. In 1999, he was redshirted due to the firepower in the Vols backfield. As a redshirt junior in 2000, he was a backup to Travis Henry, and finished with 359 yards and 7 touchdowns. He had an 80 yard TD vs UK and acrobatic scores vs UGA, Memphis, and Arkansas. His final season in 2001 goes down as one of the greatest in school history. 291 carries, 1,454 yards and 10 touchdowns. He had two, 200 plus yard games and five others over 100 yards. His 226 yard effort (on 19 carries) vs UF will forever be etched in Volunteer lore. His 1,454 yards is a season record and he was named 1st team All-SEC and 1st team All-American. For his career, he had 2,336 yards and 21 TDs on the ground. Yes, most was done in one season, but he only really had one season to prove himself, and did he ever……
Stephens was drafted in the 4th round by Tampa Bay and had 1 career reception in his only year in the league. He was part of the Bucs Super Bowl winning team in his lone season.

View attachment 462184
Nice couple of rings.

85 days……

#85 - Jimmy Streater

Without a doubt, my favorite Vol. Streater played from 1976-1979, and helped usher in the Majors era. If I had to describe the “Sylva Streak,” it would be ‘electric.’ In his first career start in 1977, Majors first game, he scored on an 80 yard touchdown that, to this day, is the greatest run I’ve ever seen in person. I was immediately infatuated with “The Bird.” Streater was a shining star on a couple of bad teams in 1977 and 1978. In 1977, he threw for only 742 yards and 4 TDs, splitting time with Pat Ryan due to an injury, and ran for 397 yards and 8 TDs. He became only the sixteenth player in school history to gain over 1,000 total yards from scrimmage. As a junior, he became the first Vols player to gain 2,000 total yards from scrimmage in a single season. He threw for 1,418 yards and ran for 593 more. His 2,011 total yards were second in the SEC and finished with 14 total touchdowns. As a senior in 1979, Streater was named a captain, and led UT to one of the greatest wins in the Majors era, a 40-18 victory over Notre Dame. Although he missed a couple of games due to injuries, Streater threw for 1,256 yards and 9 TDs, while rushing for 377 yards and 7 touchdowns. He helped UT to a 7-4 regular season record and a berth in the Bluebonnet Bowl. Streater was named 1st Team All-SEC for his efforts in 1979. After he left UT, Streater was the All-Time leader in school history with 3,433 yards passing and 4,807 yards of total offense, and had the record for the longest pass play as well (85 yards.) He had three 100 yard rushing games during his career and 25 rushing touchdowns. Streater played two seasons in the CFL for Toronto. After his playing days were over, tragic events occurred in his life. Addiction, the paralysis of his brother, a stroke, and the amputation of an arm and a leg, took Streater down a dark road. Fortunately, Streater found his faith and redemption before his death in 2004.

As side note…….several months before his passing, I heard about Streater living in a Health and Rehabilitation Center. I called my friend Joe Biddle, to find out how I could get in touch with Jimmy. I got the number and picked up the phone and called him. We spoke for an hour. Not just about UT football, but about life in general. I was going through a difficult time in my life then and he gave me great comfort. It is an hour that I will cherish for the rest of my life. RIP “Bird.” You’re greatly missed and #1 in my heart!04E1FEAC-C8AD-4207-B966-9AF6B4FFAF12.png

85 days……

#85 - Jimmy Streater

Without a doubt, my favorite Vol. Streater played from 1976-1979, and helped usher in the Majors era. If I had to describe the “Sylva Streak,” it would be ‘electric.’ In his first career start in 1977, Majors first game, he scored on an 80 yard touchdown that, to this day, is the greatest run I’ve ever seen in person. I was immediately infatuated with “The Bird.” Streater was a shining star on a couple of bad teams in 1977 and 1978. In 1977, he threw for only 742 yards and 4 TDs, splitting time with Pat Ryan due to an injury, and ran for 397 yards and 8 TDs. He became only the sixteenth player in school history to gain over 1,000 total yards from scrimmage. As a junior, he became the first Vols player to gain 2,000 total yards from scrimmage in a single season. He threw for 1,418 yards and ran for 593 more. His 2,011 total yards were second in the SEC and finished with 14 total touchdowns. As a senior in 1979, Streater was named a captain, and led UT to one of the greatest wins in the Majors era, a 40-18 victory over Notre Dame. Although he missed a couple of games due to injuries, Streater threw for 1,256 yards and 9 TDs, while rushing for 377 yards and 7 touchdowns. He helped UT to a 7-4 regular season record and a berth in the Bluebonnet Bowl. Streater was named 1st Team All-SEC for his efforts in 1979. After he left UT, Streater was the All-Time leader in school history with 3,433 yards passing and 4,807 yards of total offense, and had the record for the longest pass play as well (85 yards.) He had three 100 yard rushing games during his career and 25 rushing touchdowns. Streater played two seasons in the CFL for Toronto. After his playing days were over, tragic events occurred in his life. Addiction, the paralysis of his brother, a stroke, and the amputation of an arm and a leg, took Streater down a dark road. Fortunately, Streater found his faith and redemption before his death in 2004.

As side note…….several months before his passing, I heard about Streater living in a Health and Rehabilitation Center. I called my friend Joe Biddle, to find out how I could get in touch with Jimmy. I got the number and picked up the phone and called him. We spoke for an hour. Not just about UT football, but about life in general. I was going through a difficult time in my life then and he gave me great comfort. It is an hour that I will cherish for the rest of my life. RIP “Bird.” You’re greatly missed and #1 in my heart!View attachment 462437

This was wonderful to read. That last paragraph is so special, thanks for sharing it with us.

85 days……

#85 - Jimmy Streater

As side note…….several months before his passing, I heard about Streater living in a Health and Rehabilitation Center. I called my friend Joe Biddle, to find out how I could get in touch with Jimmy. I got the number and picked up the phone and called him. We spoke for an hour. Not just about UT football, but about life in general. I was going through a difficult time in my life then and he gave me great comfort. It is an hour that I will cherish for the rest of my life. RIP “Bird.” You’re greatly missed and #1 in my heart!View attachment 462437

I've always thought of 'The Bird' as one of the first true dual-threat QBs. Fantastic player when he got the ball in his hands. Your personal connection at the end is truly awesome - thank you for sharing.

VN Store

Back