Countdown to Kickoff vs South Carolina

The 1991 game at Notre Dame, a tale of two halves and the redemption of the orange britches. In the first half, the curse of the orange pants was apparent, as Notre Dame scored on Tennessee turnovers and led by 24 points in the second period. In the second half, the Vols D got stingy, befuddling the Irish. The offense began to click, scoring three TDs. Vols special teams cemented the victory, when Lincoln got a piece of ND's late field goal try. A contemporary of mine, an ND alumnus who was at that game told me that there were as many clad in orange as not in the chapel after the game.

Saw that game in a sports bar in South Carolina. I was the only Vol fan in the place but there were a score of Irish fans which gave me some ribbing thoughout the first half. They were pretty silient in the 2nd half and after I stopped yelling in celebration for the partially blocked kicked that sealed the Vol victory I looked around to see they had all bailed. I didn't hear it live but my dad said his heart sunk listening to the John Ward call as Ward initially called the kick good. Great game especially coming off a heartbreaking loss to Bama two weeks earlier.

I was at this 1973 Georgia Tech game. My 47 year old recollection is that we were expected to win and had taken an early 6-0 lead. Then Coldridge Holloway was injured and not only left the game but was taken by ambulance to hospital. Georgia Tech scored the next 14 unanwered points and it looked for sure like we would lose. The Tennessee side lines and stadium were silent and rejected. Then an ambulance pulls into the stadium and parks behind the Tennessee bench. The rear doors fly open and out jumps Coldridge in his football uniform. The entire place goes electric. He re-enters the game and engineers two TD drives for the Vol victory including this epic run. It was a great day to be a Tennessee Vol!

143 days.........

In the ‘72 regular season finale, Vanderbilt hosted the Vols in Nashville. Haskel Stanback broke Hank Lauricella’s single season rushing record, with 890 yards. Stanback scored three TDs and rushed for 143 yards in UTs 30-10 victory that sent the Vols to the Astro Bluebonnet Bowl.
View attachment 271678
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Vols have two orange stripes on their helmets at some point in the early 70s, maybe in 1972?

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Vols have two orange stripes on their helmets at some point in the early 70s, maybe in 1972?
I found the answer to my own question. The Vols had two stripes on their helmets for the final three games of the 1973 regular season. It must have met with a very negative reaction because Tennessee's helmets returned to the familiar one stripe for the bowl game against Texas Tech.

141 days...........

The annual game between UT/Auburn ended after their game in 1991. Carl Pickens caught two long TDs and freshman James “Little Man” Stewart rushed for 141 yards, on 26 carries, in the Vols 30-21 victory over the #13 Tigers.
45CED600-DF2A-4664-A97E-E0F3A9299787.png

141 days...........

The annual game between UT/Auburn ended after their game in 1991. Carl Pickens caught two long TDs and freshman James “Little Man” Stewart rushed for 141 yards, on 26 carries, in the Vols 30-21 victory over the #13 Tigers.
View attachment 272019
The one casualty of SEC expansion was our losing the annual series with Auburn. Some of my best memories at Neyland were against them.

140 days........

In the “RoseBonnet Bowl,” the Vols and UCLA played in Memphis to close out the ‘65 season. Dewey Warren had one of his best games of his career, and 10 of his passes went to Johnny Mills. Mills set a then school single game record for receptions for 140 yards in UT’s 37-34 victory.
987EB2D1-1749-4BEE-B961-638A3F5FCC8A.png

139 days.........

A national televised game started the 1974 season, as UT hosted UCLA. On the second play of the game for UT, Condredge Holloway hit Stanley Morgan in stride for a 76 yrd TD. Holloway missed two quarters with a bruised shoulder, but returned in the fourth, to lead the Vols on a game tying, 80 yrd drive, to secure a 17-17 tie. Morgan finished the game with 139 yards receiving.
59C0359C-ACB0-41B1-BDA3-8F2B8F0125B2.png4DF464E1-5C56-4244-9E84-936766064D3B.png

2DDAECD3-BA8B-46D3-A8C2-D0DD398F1197.png

In the “RoseBonnet Bowl,” the Vols and UCLA played in Memphis to close out the ‘65 season.
Oh my....that was one of the first games I saw in Liberty Bowl Stadium. Dad was a Baptist deacon and that group worked as ushers. It was my 12 yr old birthday present....very fond memories, at least the ones that aren't burnt !

138 days.......

The Vols played Iowa in the “Kickoff Classic” to start the ‘87 season. A see-saw game saw UT’s defense make the biggest play, a 96 yard interception of an option-pitch by Darrin Miller that gave UT an early lead. But, Iowa stormed back and lead the Vols 22-17 in the fourth quarter. Behind the strong running of redshirt freshman, Reggie Cobb, the Vols kicked two field goals to win 23-22 (the last coming with 8 seconds left.) Cobb would finish with 138 yards rushing in his first game in Orange.E82482F3-F5E6-4FFB-820C-E091B349F1EB.png

Last edited:
139 days.........

A national televised game started the 1974 season, as UT hosted UCLA. On the second play of the game for UT, Condredge Holloway hit Stanley Morgan in stride for a 76 yrd TD. Holloway missed two quarters with a bruised shoulder, but returned in the fourth, to lead the Vols on a game tying, 80 yrd drive, to secure a 17-17 tie. Morgan finished the game with 139 yards receiving.
View attachment 272295View attachment 272296

View attachment 272297
I don’t know if anyone can confirm this. I remember being surprised that this game wasn’t included in our season tickets.

Reactions: OneManGang
I don’t know if anyone can confirm this. I remember being surprised that this game wasn’t included in our season tickets.

Not sure about the season ticket thing, but I remember a HUGE amount of local hype about the game. One reason was that this was only the seventh time the Vols had been on nationwide TV (other than bowl games) and only the third game broadcast from Neyland Stadium. The other two were Georgia in '68 and Penn State in '71. Being on TV was a big deal back then. Unless you were a Big 10 or Pac 10 power (read Michigan, Ohio State, Southern Cal or UCLA or you were Notre Dame) your chances of being the feature game on ABC was roughly the same as being struck by lightning. Note that this game was against UCLA.

Vol trivia: All games at Neyland Stadium were day games until 1972. Indeed, Neyland did not even have lights until then.

After Tennessee embarrassed JoePa and and the Nittany Lions on national TV in '71 38-11 (PSU featured Franco Harris at rb), they were scheduled for a rematch on Sept 16 the next year, also at Neyland. JoePa began whining about having to play a southern team so early given the hot weather, humidity, etc. Finally, the PSU AD called UT AD Bob Woodruff to cancel the game. Woodruff called BS and said the game would be played at night. Lo! And Behold! Temporary lights were erected and the 1972 match with PSU became the very first night game ever played at Neyland stadium.

The Vols whipped their a**es again, 28-21.

Last edited:
137 days........

The ‘78 season wasn’t the greatest, but it helped lay the groundwork for the future. Homecoming vs Ole Miss was the first of three consecutive wins. Trailing 17-7 at the half, the Vols erupted for 34 second half points to defeat the Rebels 41-17. Roland James had two picks (one returned 90 yrds for a TD) and Hubert Simpson, starting for an injured Frank Foxx, had 137 yards on 22 carries.

This game was one of my fondest memories as a child!

only photo of Simpson vs Ole Miss I could find
69E990EF-69E9-427F-B767-3B4A1E8233F6.png
My personal favorite Vols photo....James’ Int

6F637A8D-AFBD-4204-A31A-09B2EFB8E1DE.png

Last edited:
In the Fall of 1978, I was the principal cook at The Copper Cellar on Cumberland Ave. I cooked every football Saturday, from 4pm to midnight. This meant that I missed seeing the home games in person. We listened to them on the radio. It was the night of the Alabama game or the Ol' Miss game that we set a record of 440 meals served, a record that was never surpassed in the restaurant's original configuration.

136 days......

Leonard Scott (‘99-‘02) came to Tennessee on a track scholarship, but was also a weapon on the football field. Scott caught 28 passes for 3 TDs, returned 1 kickoff for a touchdown, and also had 14 rushing attempts for 136 yards and 2 TDs. Scott would go on to win a gold medal in the 60 meter (World Indoor Championship) and a silver medal in the 100 meter (World Athletics Final) in 2006.

2D605B3F-CE41-439A-B198-63B96ACEB4BC.png2F1AA666-AB59-4E57-8C3B-D413D5E38DDB.png

VN Store

Back