Could Pruitt survive a 0-12 season?

BigOrangeAl 1979

God forbid we do lose to Chattanooga this weekend then we are def looking at the first winless season in UT football history. Do y’all think Pruitt could survive that? I personally don’t think he can survive a 1-11 season

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Yep, of course. He was hired by Phil and he brought in Tee. It's the majority of vol fans wet dream. At this point I'd say he'd survive 5 seasons at 0-12.

HE** NO!!! If he’s not fired for 1-11 or 2-10 provided he lasts that long there will be a lot of fans saying to h*** with TN I’m cheering on a winner!!!

Reactions: VolFreakJosh
Yep, of course. He was hired by Phil and he brought in Tee. It's the majority of vol fans wet dream. At this point I'd say he'd survive 5 seasons at 0-12.

I’d like to hear the reasoning behind this.
It’s not in the realm of possibility to 1 season let alone 5 when most of his recruits are already playing better than the older guys

Reactions: volncleveland
I don't think he could, nor should, survive a 3-9 season, especially with the easy at-bats that we lined up to pad wins.

The floor with this schedule should be 4-8 considering we've had some pretty bad football teams with some pretty bad coaches and have never gone 8 losses until Lyle Jones finally got exposed.

This is where we're at though. We're a fanbase that, even with 4 easy (should be) games for a 2nd Year coach and little actual pressure to win... we're fine with 3-9 or 4-8 now. "But look at our SoS". Yeah, I see a USCe team that lost their QB, I see a Kentucky team that lost basically every quality player from last year and then lost their one good returning offensive player, a Vandy team that hasn't actually been good but only good enough to beat our pathetic teams late season.

A good staff should have found 6 or 7 wins in there. But we're already 2 wins behind because we can't even get a hit with underhanded softball pitches.

God forbid we do lose to Chattanooga this weekend then we are def looking at the first winless season in UT football history. Do y’all think Pruitt could survive that? I personally don’t think he can survive a 1-11 season
With our fan base....sure.

Throw in some “cornbread” and a couple “aights” and he’ll be golden.

Remember....”who else ya’ gonna get?”

I’d like to hear the reasoning behind this.
It’s not in the realm of possibility to 1 season let alone 5 when most of his recruits are already playing better than the older guys

There are a lot of people on this board that think he should get 3 full years no matter what.

Reactions: CJBlaze
It would be terrible hole to have dug for himself, but my opinion is that he will not be fired under any circumstances for the results we are seeing this season. I fully expect him to be the coach through the 2020 season. Now if the team starts the 2020 season as terribly as it has started this season, something might happen. I just feel like Fulmer will be very reluctant to not give Pruitt every chance. And, if doesn't have a can't miss coach waiting in the wings (and he doesn't) what good would it do anyway? This is at least a 4 year rebuild. If we let Pruitt go after this season, even if we go winless, I think you can forget TN football for a long, long time. No reputable coach would want the job. Would be better IMHO to let Pruitt try to stabilize the program (he is failing at that thusfar, admittedly) and recruit a better roster. Then, if he isn't getting it done in the W-L department, at least TN will be a more attractive job in the next coaching search.

With our fan base....sure.

Throw in some “cornbread” and a couple “aights” and he’ll be golden.

Remember....”who else ya’ gonna get?”

This fanbase is utterly defeated. Utterly and soundly defeated.

We will lap up the spittoon of anyone that comes in and gets us 8 wins a year and laugh about the lofty ambitions of a UGA that fired Richt after he went 49-17 in his last 5 years simply because he didn't win the East once in his last 3 years (after winning it 6 times and the SEC twice in the previous 12 years).

See, UGA wants championships... here at UT we're good with 6-6 and the Music City Bowl and "I remember the 50s/60s and how bad that can be. Be happy you're even winning any games". Also, remember how hard recruiting is and the other litany of excuses that people make for what are effectively just bad coaches.

This fanbase is utterly defeated. Utterly and soundly defeated.

We will lap up the spittoon of anyone that comes in and gets us 8 wins a year and laugh about the lofty ambitions of a UGA that fired Richt after he went 49-17 in his last 5 years simply because he didn't win the East once in his last 3 years (after winning it 6 times and the SEC twice in the previous 12 years).

See, UGA wants championships... here at UT we're good with 6-6 and the Music City Bowl and "I remember the 50s/60s and how bad that can be. Be happy you're even winning any games". Also, remember how hard recruiting is and the other litany of excuses that people make for what are effectively just bad coaches.
We are kindred spirits.

Reactions: DC Vol
Impossible! If he starts 0-3, Phillip Fulmer will do the right thing and coach this team himself. At that point I think it’s possible we finish 10-3. Will be sweating come playoff selection. But hopefully the committee won’t put much stock in the games Pruitt coached

It would be terrible hole to have dug for himself, but my opinion is that he will not be fired under any circumstances for the results we are seeing this season. I fully expect him to be the coach through the 2020 season. Now if the team starts the 2020 season as terribly as it has started this season, something might happen. I just feel like Fulmer will be very reluctant to not give Pruitt every chance. And, if doesn't have a can't miss coach waiting in the wings (and he doesn't) what good would it do anyway? This is at least a 4 year rebuild. If we let Pruitt go after this season, even if we go winless, I think you can forget TN football for a long, long time. No reputable coach would want the job. Would be better IMHO to let Pruitt try to stabilize the program (he is failing at that thusfar, admittedly) and recruit a better roster. Then, if he isn't getting it done in the W-L department, at least TN will be a more attractive job in the next coaching search.

So let's say we go 1-11 this year. What exactly would constitute him keeping his job the following season? 6-6? 7-5? 8-4? If he didn't go at least 9-3 in his third year, he'd have to be fired. He can't afford to go 1-11 or 3-9. Cause then what would the excuse be the following year if we suck again? Oh we have a true freshman starting at QB.

He wins less than 5, Fulmer is going to have to take a long hard look into whether or not he should keep Pruitt around.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019

VN Store

Back