Could Pruitt survive a 0-12 season?

Pruitt was hired last year. This is the outset of his second year in a 5-year contract. Unless he violates NCAA rules or the law or otherwise gives cause, he's at UT for awhile. Let's say the Vols do poorly this year, even worse than 2018, and let's say the Vols flounder once more in 2020. Three losing seasons would put Pruitt in a put up or get out situation. If the Vols don't have a big turnaround season in 2021, then UT will instigate the search and eat the fifth year of his contract.

There's no stomach for paying out contracts of people who aren't working at UT anymore. No progress means no extension or sweetening of the existing deal, but firing 2 seasons into a five year contract ain't gonna happen.

It would be terrible hole to have dug for himself, but my opinion is that he will not be fired under any circumstances for the results we are seeing this season. I fully expect him to be the coach through the 2020 season. Now if the team starts the 2020 season as terribly as it has started this season, something might happen. I just feel like Fulmer will be very reluctant to not give Pruitt every chance. And, if doesn't have a can't miss coach waiting in the wings (and he doesn't) what good would it do anyway? This is at least a 4 year rebuild. If we let Pruitt go after this season, even if we go winless, I think you can forget TN football for a long, long time. No reputable coach would want the job. Would be better IMHO to let Pruitt try to stabilize the program (he is failing at that thusfar, admittedly) and recruit a better roster. Then, if he isn't getting it done in the W-L department, at least TN will be a more attractive job in the next coaching search.
No I don’t think Pruitt will get fired for a bad season. Now only having one or two wins, then he’s probably gone.
But I’m tired a heck of people saying we couldn’t hire a good coach if we dump Pruitt. There’s probably several lower division highly successful coaches who would jump at this job. We don’t have to hire a big name coach to get a winner. Just not another Butch Jones.

No I don’t think Pruitt will get fired for a bad season. Now only having one or two wins, then he’s probably gone.
But I’m tired a heck of people saying we couldn’t hire a good coach if we dump Pruitt. There’s probably several lower division highly successful coaches who would jump at this job. We don’t have to hire a big name coach to get a winner. Just not another Butch Jones.

There's one on this year's schedule who could turn out to be an elite coach.

Pruitt needs time. Probably 7-8 years to get players in, establish recruiting ground. No way he is fired for that record this year or next.
Pruitt needs more time than that. We have to be patient. We planted the acorn, just gotta give him time and light and good soil. In 20-30 years we will have good results, I'm sure of that, in 50 or so years we will bear witness to the mighty oak that is Coach Pruitt.

It seems that everyone agreed with firing Dooley. And most posters I have seen said he should have been fired after losing to KY his second year. I think it’s highly unlikely that we make it to a bowl this year, and if that’s the case, not only will Pruitt not made it to a bowl in 2 years, but the worst loss in school history. Why was Dooley held to a higher standard than Pruitt?

Pruitt needs more time than that. We have to be patient. We planted the acorn, just gotta give him time and light and good soil. In 20-30 years we will have good results, I'm sure of that, in 50 or so years we will bear witness to the mighty oak that is Coach Pruitt.
Oh ffs I hope that’s sarcasm...lol

If we go 0-12 this season, I'll gladly pay $1,000 (along with 100,000 more loyal Vol fans to do the same) to get the best DAMN coaching staff there is! So sick and tired of being the laughingstock of college football! It's time to stop settling for what's left and take what we truly want!

God forbid we do lose to Chattanooga this weekend then we are def looking at the first winless season in UT football history. Do y’all think Pruitt could survive that? I personally don’t think he can survive a 1-11 season

Are you kidding?
I mean really?
IF it did, of freaking course he wouldn't.
Does a person fall off the empire state building and live?

VN Store

Back