Could not have said it better myself.

Volstorm

VN GURU
This pretty much sums up my feelings about the Banks situation, and Fulmer.

UT decision again shows program's lack of discipline
By JOHN ADAMS
July 21, 2004

If your interest in the University of Tennessee is limited to wins and losses, you probably applauded coach Phillip Fulmer's decision not to kick wide receiver James Banks off the football team.

Just wondering, but did you also applaud UT's last Peach Bowl performance? Or the one before that?

There's a common theme to the Banks decision and the back-to-back Peach Bowl embarrassments. It's a lack of discipline.

Banks was suspended for the first half of the Peach Bowl for a violation of team rules. He was suspended for spring practice for another violation of team rules.

After the two suspensions, Fulmer said Banks would have to meet certain requirements to stay on the team. Then, Friday morning, police officers cited Banks for underage consumption of alcohol and violating the city's noise ordinance.

Those are minor offenses by UT's standards - or almost any major football program's standards, for that matter. But after two previous suspensions, the recent incident should have ended Banks' career at UT.

So why wasn't he dismissed from the team?

One answer: Because Fulmer is like a parent to Banks and won't give up on him after one, two or three mistakes.

Better answer: Because Fulmer is making about $1.7 million a year and knows Banks can help him win games.

UT athletic director Mike Hamilton said he was involved in the decision-making process, which makes me wonder how Fulmer might have handled this on his own.

"At one point, I thought the best thing for all involved was to dismiss him from the program," Hamilton said. "But that was the anger in me."

Hamilton said he "thought it through," talked with Banks and agreed to a three-game suspension. Next time, he should trust his anger.

Don't kid yourself. With an opener against UNLV and a third game against Louisiana Tech, this isn't really a three-game suspension. Only Florida in the second game is a serious challenge.

But UT needs more than Banks for the rest of the season. It needs discipline. For example, take the two Peach Bowls.

In UT's 30-3 loss to Maryland, fullback Troy Fleming left the locker room at halftime to call his pregnant sister. The cell phone became a symbol for a seemingly undisciplined, disinterested team.

After the 2002 season, UT players admitted wide receiver Kelley Washington's selfish antics were a distraction. Yet Fulmer never reined him in, preferring instead to say, "Kelley is one of the most team-oriented people I've ever been around."

He said that with a straight face, leaving me to believe he could pass a lie-detector test while declaring the world was flat.

Last year's team played with more discipline and was praised repeatedly for its veteran leadership. There's a correlation. The Vols need strong leadership from their veteran players because they don't always get it from their head coach.

For all the Vols did right in 2003, they still faltered badly in the Peach Bowl. Again, lack of discipline was a factor. They were penalized 10 times for 119 yards in a 27-14 loss to unranked Clemson.

I can imagine Fulmer apologizing to Peach Bowl officials afterward: "Give us three or four chances and we'll get it right."

I also can imagine Fulmer laying down the law to Banks: "If something like this happens again, I'll have to tell you: 'Never again;' four strikes and you're out."

Excuse me for making up quotes, but I couldn't resist after reading the opening paragraph of Fulmer's written statement to the media Tuesday: "Our goal as a coaching staff is to serve as an extended parent away from home for our players, and help our men grow in a positive fashion through their college experiences."

Right. And Kelley Washington is one of the most team-oriented people you've ever been around.

No he isn't. He just hates CPF. I hope Mrs. Fulmer lays into him like she did Gary Lundy. John Adams will take some heat for that article. You just wait and see.

The News-Sentinel must be DESPERATE to keep that JERK on the staff!!

I would link it, but you have to register online with the Knoxville News-Senseless to read anything. But it's on govols.com (under the 3-game suspension article)

I guess time will tell, but John Adams stepped outside the boundaries of objective journalism with some of his comments.

Can't be any worse than the Channel 13 sportscaster from Birmingham stating that Baron Huber tossed over hometown UT for Bama when the only scholarship offers came from Bummer and Navy :blink: :D

nope but have my sources.

Here's my email to him:

For your information UT never offered Baron Huber so
therefore he could not have chose Bummer over UT his
only other offer was from Navy. Have you people sunk
so low you have to lie on the air, what about
truthful, responsible journalism. Oh I forgot its
Alabama! Now you see why you'll never be more than a
local TV man LOSER!

Originally posted by TNVOLS1@Jul 21, 2004 12:21 AM
And for him that is unusual how? :dunno:

True. I guess I'm playing right into the KNS's hands by getting upset at this article. I know it is just a campaign to sell more papers. Lundy's anti-Casey trash last season gave them a taste for blood. But good Lord, an article like this is all Paul Finebaum needs to keep his program going for a MONTH!

Here's mine:

Re: Tasteless and Trashy

Those are the only two words I can come up with to describe your most recent attack on Coach Fulmer and the football team. You don't even ATTEMPT to be objective in your reporting anymore. If I were Phillip Fulmer, I would PERSONALLY see to it that you were fired and run out of town on a rail. Who do you think YOU are? You are just a talentless, no-class, reporter/journalist WANNABE who needs to get a life. I hope you have good insurance, because when other fans get ahold of your article tomorrow you're probably going to need it. I wonder what you'd have written if CPF had thrown James off the team? How would you have criticized him then? You deserve to be sued by Kelley Washington, James Banks's family and Phillip Fulmer himself. GOD help you when Vicki Fulmer sees your article.

I don't know about storm but if your really, really nice I might bite you. :lol: :lol: :p

Originally posted by TNVOLS1@Jul 21, 2004 12:48 AM
I don't know about storm but if your really, really nice I might bite you. :lol: :lol: :p

:rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol:

:shakehead:

Originally posted by Volstorm@Jul 21, 2004 12:48 AM
Why doesn't this #@$%& board have a smilie that takes a bite out of someone?

What do you think this site IS??

Now I KNOW why you're going to Hawaii!!

:ph34r: YOU'RE A CANNIBAL!!! :ph34r:

VN Store

Back