Could meditation help Kasi become a more focused shooter?

Last edited:
Motor memory deals with the same motorized-muscle-mechanics principal as muscle memory....the idea is the same,,,but the term, motor memory, better describes that it is a process not just a muscle thing...

I teach this lesson by going to the foul-line (with one of my players in front of me, the rest around the paint......I tell the player to, "Once my eyes are closed put your hand right in my sight-line, but not on the ball or arm, to ensure I am not looking...I then go through the foul-shot, as I have done millions of times over 30+ years and shoot the ball as if I could see it. (Once the eyes are closed, it has to be mentally completed because there is no target for the eyes).

To develop the "memory" you have to do reps. That is how a coach thinks and this guy:
Practice Practice Practice; And Then; making shots becomes second nature by muscle memory. No thinking required.

must have been a coach.

madtown, the way I cope with much of the ignorance and close-mindedness that often rears its ugly head on message boards is to visualize what their homes might look like. Some have poor homes, some have very nice homes. But I picture their homes totally empty of any meaningful reading material. The most they may have around are a few magazines — book shelves are just picture frame and keepsake displays. No books except, maybe, a How To Clean A Gun book. Ignorant people don’t read books. Or fact check. Or bother to Google.

It's not personal, lv, it's perceptions.
you're making a bad situation worse, making it personal to those who responded.

Meditation of any kind kills my energy, so for me,,,nope.
Me, I want to go to the gym on Thursdays and Saturdays, work my self into a good sweat and then sweat some more.
2-3 pickup games in a row.
Play till one of the kids walks over and says "You ok,,your face is red"
I smile and say, "cool"

If you want to teach how shoot at the backboard or goal, the first thing you have to do is remove the goal from the teaching process until it is time to use it.

I do a shooting drill called spot shooting. I put a dot on a hard (concrete) wall at the height of one or two inches below the height of the back-board-red square and have my players shoot at the spot on the wall. They must hit the spot (within a fist's circumference of the spot) and, on a downward arc. The next step is to do it 4 out of 5 times, then 20-25, etc.

If you can hit a spot on a wall with the proper arc, you can hit your "spot" on a backboard.
And while they are doing this drill I have 5-10-25-50 reps to teach her the proper mechanics of the process.

This way as the muscle part of the memory develops, the mechanics develop and the patience and understand that you miss sometimes even when everything's perfect.

When all 3 come together at the same point,,they become shooters.

But this how Coach Jumper does it.
Maybe someone else does and thinks the exact same way.
Maybe not.
"Who cares if it works for me".
Which, by the way...is the exact mentality a shooter in-game has to have

Along the lines of meditation & visualization, I was told a story of a boys basketball coach who took on a group of poor free throw shooters, &
rather than demonstrate & teach technique, & then have them practice after that, he chose to have them sit down, close their eyes, & visualize shooting
& making free throws. After doing this for some sessions, he had them take the shots. From then on their free throw percentage increased significantly.
Another link on the subject here:
Klay Thompson Explains His Special Pregame Routine That Gets Him Into The Zone

iu

The Dawn of Cat.

Meditation? NAH!!! Voodoo is much better. You get a much better trance experience. Just make sure you hide the chickens and goats.

No. What she really needs is to rebound and STOP bringing the ball down to waist high where the shorter players can slap and grab it. It's as simple as that. No mystical kumbayi is required.

Before blasting somebody who raises a legit question, though it may sound unconventional, perhaps google first. It ain't that hard.

According to google, witchcraft has been shown to possibly give teams a competitive edge to the point it has been banned in African soccer leagues. Someone should start a thread suggesting Kellie consult a witch doctor as this program has clearly been cursed for some time now...

https://www.foxsports.com/soccer/st...n-soccer-matches-amid-bizarre-incident-122816

Ducor Sports | Sports, Technology and African Culture

Reactions: RollerVol
According to google, witchcraft has been shown to possibly give teams a competitive edge to the point it has been banned in African soccer leagues. Someone should start a thread suggesting Kellie consult a witch doctor as this program has clearly been cursed for some time now...

https://www.foxsports.com/soccer/st...n-soccer-matches-amid-bizarre-incident-122816

Ducor Sports | Sports, Technology and African Culture

Darth, your anger has led you astray.

Google linked you to a news story about how some superstitious Rwandan soccer officials feared that witchcraft might be used to influence the matches. More googling would have also taken you to other stories about how this ban deeply embarrassed others in the Rwandan soccer community. Those news stories, however, are not remotely comparable to reports on scientific studies concerning the physiological effects of mental imagery and meditation. Search your feelings Darth, you can sense the difference. I know there is still good in you, somewhere....maybe....

But perhaps (egad! i hope not) you somehow interpreted this story about the superstitious fear of witchcraft as somehow discrediting scientific research on mental imagery and its documented influences, including the treatment of depression.

Harvard researchers study how mindfulness may change the brain in depressed patients

[I know, Harvard medical school, just a bunch of witch doctors right?]

In either case, your dark side retort has some major design flaws, kind of like the thermal exhaust port in the original Death Star.

Your insolence aside, a significant volume of neurological research that has verified that visual imagery activates and even changes neural pathways. These neurological changes are measurable and repeatable effects.

By the way, even George Lucas conceded that his conception of the force was based cellular biology (mitochondria as an energy producing life force) and he mythically reframed it as a parasitic infection of "midi-chlorians" that give Jedi their enhanced powers

Midi-chlorian.

On visual imagery, though, I will go actual neurobiology and the Harvard medical school among many others.

Last edited:
But perhaps (egad! i hope not) you somehow interpreted this story about the superstitious fear of witchcraft as somehow discrediting scientific research on mental imagery and its documented influences, including the treatment of depression.

Discredit? Absolutely not. I was suggesting Kellie try meditation AND witchcraft. I mean there is extensive evidence of both working.

Harvard researchers study how mindfulness may change the brain in depressed patients

Great! But I didn't realize poor KK was clincally depressed.

https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/st...s-may-change-the-brain-in-depressed-patients/
By the way, even George Lucas conceded that his conception of the force was based cellular biology (mitochondria as an energy producing life force) and he mythically reframed it as a parasitic infection of "midi-chlorians" that give Jeidi their enhanced powers

You disappoint me. As many times as you edit your posts and you still can't spell "Jedi" correctly, although I appreciate the effort to impress me. Since we're grasping at straws and you clearly have an abundance of free time, maybe you can also google the research on jedi mind tricks on sports performance....

Reactions: RollerVol
I actually read every post...don't think I'll be able to hit another shot again...I'm psyched out...:D

PS. she'll get better the more she plays...no meditation, voodoo, or witchcraft needed...patience can be difficult to handle...;)

GO LADY VOLS!

On visual imagery, though, I will go actual neurobiology and the Harvard medical school among many others.

This may help explain UNC's choice of Ms. Banghart as a wbb coach. She earned her A.B. at Dartmouth in neuroscience.

madtown, the way I cope with much of the ignorance and close-mindedness that often rears its ugly head on message boards is to visualize what their homes might look like. Some have poor homes, some have very nice homes. But I picture their homes totally empty of any meaningful reading material. The most they may have around are a few magazines — book shelves are just picture frame and keepsake displays. No books except, maybe, a How To Clean A Gun book. Ignorant people don’t read books. Or fact check. Or bother to Google.

You could be on to something here, lvocd. Had I procured at least one of those How To Clean A Gun books, perhaps I could’ve skipped boot camp altogether.

Brilliant analysis, as always, madtownnvol.
Reminds me of the term that you (and probably all of us) have heard and pondered, which goes something like, “She’s (he’s) ‘favoring’ it, by overusing the other one” (whichever limb, usually a foot/leg). She’s gonna hurt the ‘other’ one.” I have no data (I promise to read more, lvocd) to support the correctness, or incorrectness of such a statement (which I figure I’ve made as well).
Serious question: Is there, to your knowledge, any statistical “truth” to that claim?

Last edited:
Reactions: madtownvol
I think the whole team needs it. So many 5 star players cant just all of a sudden forget how to play fundamental basketball.
The one thing that I enjoyed about watching the Ladies play versus the Men was Fundamentals of the Game. AAU has ruined much of the Ladies Game as it has the Men.

Reactions: PG1
KK has an elevation problem as long as she can't more than two inches off the ground gonna be tough to play against people her size.

Reactions: madtownvol
Discredit? Absolutely not. I was suggesting Kellie try meditation AND witchcraft. I mean there is extensive evidence of both working.

Great! But I didn't realize poor KK was clincally depressed.

You disappoint me. As many times as you edit your posts and you still can't spell "Jedi" correctly, although I appreciate the effort to impress me. Since we're grasping at straws and you clearly have an abundance of free time, maybe you can also google the research on jedi mind tricks on sports performance....

My bad on Jedi. If we are going to get school marmy about all this, you could have used my extra "i" in your spelling of "clincally".

Seriously, why are you going to very extreme lengths to justify your premature dismissal of visual imagery. Are you sure you want to double down on this point?

Where is this evidence that witchcraft works? You seem unable to distinguish between a news report about a superstitious Rwandan soccer official and a slew of scientific studies and on going research on the neurological effects of visual imagery. You are either stubborn, duplicitous, or some kind of weird science denier.

News Flash - when Jenny McCarthy said that vaccines caused autism, that was not scientific proof of the linkage.

I am sorry you don't seem to understand the difference between science and mistaken beliefs.

On the depression study, you really think that was my implication? Again, stubborn, duplicitous, or worse.

Dude, get a meditation and mental acuity app, Maybe play candy crush. There are things you can do to help your ability to reason and comprehend the written word.

It is not too late for you.

KK has an elevation problem as long as she can't more than two inches off the ground gonna be tough to play against people her size.[/QUOTE
I agree and so did Anosike when she arrived at Tenn.

That is a fair comparison though Nicki really did not improve on that aspect of her game over her career. Right up to the end, she had problems finishing against bigger players. She did find ways to work around that limitation.

What was off about Anosike is that she great lateral quickness and good run the floor like a gazelle. Usually those type of players are good leapers so she was an odd case.

But back in her playing days, people used to make the same advice to her as they are to KK. Keep the ball up HIGH!. The problem for player who lack an explosive leap is that is up high is not that high against other tall players and leapers, so you get a lot of blocks, tie-ups, and takeaways.

Key does not jump that great either but she is a bit taller and seems to have a longer wingspan than KK so her "up high" might work better in more situations.

For vertically inhibited post players, they need to read the game better. Get rid of the ball quickly when a double team comes and develop some reliable post moves to open a little space against a bigger player.

I feel as though a lack of focus in moments of chaos and stress (for her, when she’s shooting) is a logical explanation for why Kasi has an ongoing struggle with hitting her shots. She has all the necessary tools for hitting a much higher percentage of her shots, yet she still too often misses even the easiest shots.

I have to wonder if meditation and/or mental visualization might be of benefit to her. If I were Kellie I’d be getting in touch with someone who could teach this skill to Kasi and, perhaps, several other players.

Some links I found to support this idea:

Why Every Basketball Player Should Meditate

How To Mentally Prepare For A Basketball Game - Next Level Hoops

10 Tips to Improve the Mental Side of Shooting

4 Ways to Improve Your Mental Game
Medication

VN Store

Back