Could Guarantano surprise us? (Merged)

I'm really surprised at how poorly overall JG has played this year. I thought he showed flashes last year and was a MAJOR reason we beat Auburn and Kentucky last year. I thought with better protection, JG would have a really solid season. But hey, whether it's PTSD from last season or whatever it is....it's clear he is what he is.

wow, that's great. I hope they are all happy and giving themselves a pat on the back. Me, I'm rooting for whatever Vol is playing....

Great take. Pat yourself on the back for rooting for whatever Vol is playing! Also got a like from the resident JG apologist on here!

Do you honestly think everyone but you is booing the Vols? If you don't want to talk QB's why not stay away from a thread about the QB's?! Just a thought

Why do you think he wont? ;)
Because I've watched him ever since he's been at UT and he has regressed. I'm not forming my opinion on wins or losses, I'm doing it based on what I see out of him every game. Yeah he show's spurts of greatness as times, but he is not consistent. His timming is still off, he's still overthrowing recievers, and he does not see the field well at all. And maybe it's just me, but I think his personal safe zone is to check off and throw a 3-4 yard pass that just puts us in more punting situations. And the main thing I see is he gets down very quick and the team doesn't respond well to his leadership, they seem to be more pumped when the younger QB's are in the game. Maybe its an inside thing, Butches players vs Pruits players and how they respond to the system, who knows. I wish the best for the kid, but I'm just calling it like I'm seeing it.

I'm really surprised at how poorly overall JG has played this year. I thought he showed flashes last year and was a MAJOR reason we beat Auburn and Kentucky last year. I thought with better protection, JG would have a really solid season. But hey, whether it's PTSD from last season or whatever it is....it's clear he is what he is.
You serious Clark? When your QB was rated the #1 dual threat QB in the country above Jalen Hurts and his nuthuggers have to constantly tell you he isn't a dual threat should have been the first red flag. Of course his lack of production and wins is the biggest red flag.

Mega Bump

Thought it was interesting the takes from everyone earlier this year. Specifically, look at some of Steven5198 and BreatheUT posts. Both of those posters really nailed it, I think. What's fascinating to me is a lot of people listen to a former QB of ours on the local radio and take his word for gospel on the QB play. Well, he has been excessively wrong in his thoughts and these two posters have been quite right! I would be interested to know their backgrounds, just for the sake of discussion. And, if you defended JG I would love to hear your thoughts as well. Not bashing the kid, just looking back and stumbled upon this and thought it was relevant to our year long struggle to find a QB that can help us win and win decisively.

Edit: start about post #142 for reference
Get ready for a barrage of completion % is all that matters and TD/INT ratio comments.

. Now we've heard Jennings is coming back.

I’ll be honest I quit reading after this!!!
Is there anything to this??????

The Kentucky game will be the one where the light comes on and it comes together for JG, becoming the QB he was always meant to be.
This might be the game he "turns the corner" on. He finds his #1 dual threat QB legs and runs hog wild all over Kentucky.

The Kentucky game will be the one where the light comes on and it comes together for JG, becoming the QB he was always meant to be.
I hope you didn't put money on that, but I do hope you're right.

I know we keep saying this, but the natural expectation is for the veteran returning OL to be improved. Then theres the addition of Morris, potentially Wright as well. The RBs should be improved.
Then you add Jim Chaney and Tee Martin. Now we've heard Jennings is coming back.
I think the defense takes a step in the new system as well and improves a little.
This really is beginning to sound like a recipe for a very successful season for JG, even surprising some of us at VN. Does anyone else see a potential big jump for JG, or is what we've seen all there is?

yes

Because I've watched him ever since he's been at UT and he has regressed. I'm not forming my opinion on wins or losses, I'm doing it based on what I see out of him every game. Yeah he show's spurts of greatness as times, but he is not consistent. His timming is still off, he's still overthrowing recievers, and he does not see the field well at all. And maybe it's just me, but I think his personal safe zone is to check off and throw a 3-4 yard pass that just puts us in more punting situations. And the main thing I see is he gets down very quick and the team doesn't respond well to his leadership, they seem to be more pumped when the younger QB's are in the game. Maybe its an inside thing, Butches players vs Pruits players and how they respond to the system, who knows. I wish the best for the kid, but I'm just calling it like I'm seeing it.
I think you missed my joke lol
Edit: unless this was a copy and pasted posted from prior.

Nothing different. He's just been pushed to do more and has been exposed. Several people here told you all that the flaws were there. Go back through this thread. You have some of us with posts in February telling you about the weaknesses that he's shown this season. We saw them in the previous two years beyond the problems with the OL.

Because I've watched him ever since he's been at UT and he has regressed.
IMO no. Not saying "I told you so" to you in particular but Chaney and JG both talked about him taking more responsibility and having more control this year. They asked him to read D's and hit hot receivers. They asked him to push the ball down the middle of the field.

He didn't regress. The weaknesses that have always been there were just exposed. The previous two OC's protected him with safe schemes and playcalling. They apparently impressed on JG to be hyper risk averse.

There are a couple of areas of improvement though it is overshadowed by other things. He is throwing the mid-level crossing pattern better. He also appears to be managing the run game reasonably well of late.

Nothing different. He's just been pushed to do more and has been exposed. Several people here told you all that the flaws were there. Go back through this thread. You have some of us with posts in February telling you about the weaknesses that he's shown this season. We saw them in the previous two years beyond the problems with the OL.

Oh BS. Anyone that complained on him last year was just making **** up for the most part, but now that he's regressed those people are like "TOLD YOU SO!!" even though the things they're talking about weren't evident last year at all.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan

VN Store

Back