Could Former Tennessee Vol Kelly Jolly-Harper Keep The Lady Vols Out of NCAA's?

If some team besides Rice wins the conference USA, that will take another at large spot? Rice is in a tight game in the semis

We need a "Pat Summit" player such as Kelly Jolly Harper as our coach. None of the others you name belong at UT period. Harper has the credentials and is a proven winner coach too.
No disrespect to Harper but if being a former player is part of the criteria for selecting a new coach we could be mired in mediocrity forever. I want the best coach we can get regardless of where they played.

Creme's "Last Four In" are Indiana, Buffalo, Tennessee and Ohio. Buffalo and Ohio both won impressively today and will play for the MAC title, which probably puts them both in for sure. If Drake loses their Conference Tourney they will still keep their bid, and Missouri State would take one away from..... Indiana or Tennessee?

Indiana RPI .585 W/L 20 – 12 SOS .5700

Tenn RPI .574 W/L 19 – 12 SOS .5675

I suggest everyone root for Drake.

Another situation that might factor in is if rice loses in the final of their tournament.

Why do people feel only former players can coach at Tennessee? Tell me when Rick Barnes played at Tennessee? When did Robert Neyland play at Tennessee?
or J. Majors or P. Fulme,r not saying ms. Jolly Harper should be the coach, but being a former player.....

Why do people feel only former players can coach at Tennessee? Tell me when Rick Barnes played at Tennessee? When did Robert Neyland play at Tennessee?
The trust factor. By hiring a VFL we all can be certain that they will give their all again like they did before. Along with that when success happens there’s no worry about them leaving to where they played ball, if an offer was made.

I’m not so much worried about leaving after success but when it comes to understanding the importance a certain rivalry, that’s where it can be tricky. Pruit is a great example.

How about, due to our desperation and the bus heading headlong over a cliff, we lift all artificial constraints on who our next coach is and hire the best damn coach available and willing?

We are in an absolute emergency situation so let's throw aside gender, previous LV ties, and whether or not a coach might stick around as hiring factors. We don't have that luxury anymore. Before this season I wouldn't have felt this way, but if we have another season of bottoming out at the rate we did this season, it may be too late. Move over La Tech and Old Dominion, make room on the irrelevant bench.

I also no longer worry about an up and comer who may leave for an alma mater or just a better offer in a few years. Thats always a danger with an up and comer and would only mean they were successful in getting this sh@tshow straightened out. Next coach could step in without an absolute disaster to recover from.

Is the MVC and Conference USA the only two conferences left that can impact the bubble teams - projected last 4 in.

Rice plays MTSU later and drake is pulling away in the MVC semi

Kellie's team just knocked off Northern Illinois 89-64. Fifteen-point halftime lead was cut to six in the third before MoSt clamped down on defense and went on a big run. Reserves came in mid-fourth quarter and extended the lead to 30 with a minute left. I believe MoSt hit 12 threes.

Championship game vs. #21 Drake is SundY at 2 pm (3 pm EST). MoSt only has one senior and one junior available and is playing without a key freshman who was a force in tbeir earlier win over Drake.

Hope Phil F. Is watching tbe game tomorrow.

Last edited:
Reactions: sccshortstop
Rice won their game against MTSU, so tomorrow's Drake/Mo St game is the last one to sweat out. Assuming Creme's analysis is accurate.

lOVE Kelly but it is time to spend the bucks and get a class Division 1 coach....I have followed the team since Pat took it over years ago and have been so proud. It hurts to see what has happened lately. Holly I hope has her letter ready for Tuesday morning to announce her retirement from the Vols....Phil may have been a good coach but he lacks a lot when it come to administration. He spends his time at the football field watching practice...We do have other sports. The baseball team got stomped tonight.....He needs to earn that million he is making....

No disrespect to Harper but if being a former player is part of the criteria for selecting a new coach we could be mired in mediocrity forever. I want the best coach we can get regardless of where they played.
I think that Harper is a great coach and the fact she is a former LV just makes it better!

Reactions: Creekdog
How about, due to our desperation and the bus heading headlong over a cliff, we lift all artificial constraints on who our next coach is and hire the best damn coach available and willing?

We are in an absolute emergency situation so let's throw aside gender, previous LV ties, and whether or not a coach might stick around as hiring factors. We don't have that luxury anymore. Before this season I wouldn't have felt this way, but if we have another season of bottoming out at the rate we did this season, it may be too late. Move over La Tech and Old Dominion, make room on the irrelevant bench.

I also no longer worry about an up and comer who may leave for an alma mater or just a better offer in a few years. Thats always a danger with an up and comer and would only mean they were successful in getting this sh@tshow straightened out. Next coach could step in without an absolute disaster to recover from.
I think everyone of us want the best coach that wants to be here and Phil can and will pay!! He is not and I repeat is not going to give big money for this team!@!

Reactions: stlvolsfan
I think that Harper is a great coach and the fact she is a former LV just makes it better!
Can someone name one ex lady vol player that’s been successful as a head coach at a major school? Playing under coach summit doesn’t mean you can coach.

Can someone name one ex lady vol player that’s been successful as a head coach at a major school? Playing under coach summit doesn’t mean you can coach.

Nicky Caldwell at UCLA

Define what you consider successful?

Nikki (Caldwell) Fargas was “successful” at UCLA she had a career record of 72-26 (73.5% overall) and 40-14 (74.1% Pac-10) then she left for LSU. I think she should of stayed at UCLA she was starting to get the california recruits that were going to stanford and cal and putting them back on the map but she wanted to get closer back to home. The team was 14-18 and 16-15 the prior two seasons to her arrival and in her first year she was 19-12, then 25-9, and 28-5 in her last two years.

Now success at LSU has not come as much. But her UCLA run was a good one and NO I am not suggesting her be the next coach but just answering the question 😃

Last edited:
So if MS pulls off the upset tommorrow, is it a tossup on the last one out?
That seems to be the speculation however I would love to replace Warlick but I think they will get in and if they do it is respect and the LV name. JMHO as always!

I have been watching and following bracketology for a very long time.
From my view, even if Drake loses to it looks like it would impact Ohio, not us.
We might move within the bracket, but it looks like we are safe....JMO

JIC though,
pull for Drake against Missouri State toady at 3PM...This seems to be the only influential game left

MoSt up by 3 at beginning of 2nd quarter. Drake hit 6 threes in 1st quarter, but Lady Bears are now forcing turnovers (8 so far).

Halftime update:

Missouri State up by 7.

Go Lady Bears!

Update: 43 seconds left; MoSt still up by 13.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back