Could An 8-5 Vols Slide Into the Top 25?

beamerman

This. If we got a ranked B1G team and housed them like we usually do, I think we end up ranked.

If we play another 7-5 or 6-6 squad it won't really grab voter attention.

It would be cool to finish ranked, but honestly I'd love to just see us get to 6 wins.
How about beating a 1 loss Minnesota?

tennesseeduke

At the end of last season there were 6 teams with four losses (Texas finished 9th and A&M was 16th) and 1 five loss team (Northwestern 21st) in the final top 25 poll so it wouldn't be a stretch if the Vols can keep winning. Would be a great way to end the season and hopefully build on it in 2020.
I'm hoping to play Michigan in Gator/Taxslayer bowl or Texas in the Liberty! Both would be great games and match ups IMHO!

tennesseeduke

At the end of last season there were 6 teams with four losses (Texas finished 9th and A&M was 16th) and 1 five loss team (Northwestern 21st) in the final top 25 poll so it wouldn't be a stretch if the Vols can keep winning. Would be a great way to end the season and hopefully build on it in 2020.
I'm hoping to play Michigan in Gator/Taxslayer bowl or Texas in the Liberty! Both would be great games and match ups IMHO!

cbatey1

Im probably the outcast here. If it weren't for recruiting i'd much rather us not finish it the top 25. For once I want to be much better than preseason projections. I'm tired of being hyped every year and then coming in and underperforming. Don't hype us for a change and lets come in and prove ourselves without such expectations!!

Hawkeye4588

What is really crazy is if UGA beats Auburn this weekend it could drop Auburn out of the top 25 with three losses. If that happens and Tennessee ends up in the top 25 that would mean that Tennessee will be the only ranked team Bama beat all year.

BTW, the fact Bama has not beaten a single ranked team and will not have the SEC championship game to bolster their resume is the reason I don't think they belong in the playoffs this year. UGA, even with the ugly loss to the cocks, has a much stronger body of work.

jackieaprilesr

leave the gun, take the cannoli
eh.......maybe if we win by a blowout in a bowl game....maybe.

gog1

You don't even need to start this dribble. The two EGGS we laid at the first of the year say enough. We were so far behind after BYU both in coaching and team knowledge and cohesion we were in the bottom 10 right where we were last year. Now if you get to a bowl and if you draw out with a team with some national name recognition and you thump them pretty good. Well, maybe most improved team but not top 25, I don't think so. Be happy with that and recruit like h---. GBO

XknoxvolsX

The only people who dislike winners are losers!
This. If we got a ranked B1G team and housed them like we usually do, I think we end up ranked.

If we play another 7-5 or 6-6 squad it won't really grab voter attention.

It would be cool to finish ranked, but honestly I'd love to just see us get to 6 wins.
Reminds me of the good ole Butch Jones days.

VolunteerHillbilly

Spike Drinks, Not Trees
Other teams that appear likely to finish 8-5 that would probably be ranked above Vols include GA State, BYU, Texas A&M, USC, and the winner of Texas Tech/TCU. This doesn't even include likely 8-4 teams, such as Auburn and Oklahoma State, that could mail it in for their bowl game and still finish ranked above the Vols.

GAVol

Super Moderator
Staff member
Im probably the outcast here. If it weren't for recruiting i'd much rather us not finish it the top 25. For once I want to be much better than preseason projections. I'm tired of being hyped every year and then coming in and underperforming. Don't hype us for a change and lets come in and prove ourselves without such expectations!!
Lol... Who -that had an actual clue- has hyped us the past 3 years?

VN Store

Sponsors