Cotton Bowl - Florida vs Oklahoma

That SEC pride or should I say dominance has been in play for the last 10 years or so.

It’s blinding your view. Your argument holds no water. OU has an overall better record vs the SEC. When you say SEC dominance, you mean 3 teams, mainly Bama, correct?? 😆 I mean, really. Who else in our conference is competing for nattys? KY? Mizzou? Maybe Vandy? Puhleeeese...

Reactions: BUBear
It’s blinding your view. Your argument holds no water. OU has an overall better record vs the SEC. When you say SEC dominance, you mean 3 teams, mainly Bama, correct?? 😆
I’m talking comparing all teams in the conferences, top to bottom. Of course there are some teams in OU’s conference that are better than some of the SEC teams but the rankings would be heavily weighted toward the SEC. Just like the SEC superiority over the ACC that is mentioned frequently here.

The playoffs are awful. They just are. It’s killing the game. It’s killing parity. It’s killing other bowl games. The rich just get richer and the playing field is no longer level. Every time I hear a talking head say “well just beat them” I want to punch them in the face.

Congrats to OSU, Clemson, and Alabama.

Again.

I can’t see how this is fun to any other fans. It’s actually made it worse. See gator fans now and how they feel about these other “bowl games”.

Exactly right. NCAA is going to have to expand the playoffs to make these bowl games meaningful to players. That or pay them to play.
The NY6 games are the ones suffering the most. They get the players and teams that were almost in the CFP and they have players opt and the rest half ass it. I said it in another post, the game needs a major overhaul.

Florida really wasn't that different than Ole Miss this year, they just play in the weaker East and caught Georgia without J.T. Daniels, George Pickens and about 10 guys on their 2 deep defense.

Lane > Mullen

Reactions: Naitch
Oh so now players being out matters.

“Players being out?” 😂. I don’t think you understand what you just watched.

This was a whole new level, more like a “team being out.” Florida had 60 total players tonight counting walkons, of those 60, 20-something were playing their first ever snaps for Florida. This was silly. This was a glorified spring scrimmage. This was the Spring Scrimmage Cotton Bowl. This was 34 offensive TD’s taken away from your offense, a couple thousand yards, and 100+ receptions. This was your two starting DT’s, your first backup DT, your leading tackler at MLB, your second leading tackler at LB, your two starting safeties and your 3-year starter at CB all being out. This was “google #52 and 36 and 27 and 28 and 36 and 99 and see who they are” level of guys being out.

This isn’t Georgia fan claiming they lost to Florida because we had 3 or 4 guys on defense out and couldn’t figure out our QB situation, this was literally a nearly brand new team of dudes who have never played, dressed up by Kyle Trask making an appearance on offense and Zach Carter playing a few series on defense.

This was a whole new level, more like a “team being out.” Florida had 60 total players tonight counting walkons, of those 60, 20-something were playing their first ever snaps for Florida. This was silly. This was a glorified spring scrimmage. This was the Spring Scrimmage Cotton Bowl. This was 34 offensive TD’s taken away from your offense, a couple thousand yards, and 100+ receptions. This was your two starting DT’s, your first backup DT, your leading tackler at MLB, your second leading tackler at LB, your two starting safeties and your 3-year starter at CB all being out. This was “google #52 and 36 and 27 and 28 and 36 and 99 and see who they are” level of guys being out.

This isn’t Georgia fan claiming they lost to Florida because we had 3 or 4 guys on defense out and couldn’t figure out our QB situation, this was literally a nearly brand new team of dudes who have never played, dressed up by Kyle Trask making an appearance on offense and Zach Carter playing a few series on defense.
Didn't LSU beat y'all with 45 players? This was your future, btw. Mullen's handpicked guys.

The playoffs are awful. They just are. It’s killing the game. It’s killing parity. It’s killing other bowl games. The rich just get richer and the playing field is no longer level. Every time I hear a talking head say “well just beat them” I want to punch them in the face.

Again.

I can’t see how this is fun to any other fans. It’s actually made it worse. See gator fans now and how they feel about these other “bowl games”.

I wanted to win this game because we've never won the Cotton Bowl.

But, and this has happened in other years with other Gator teams, the SEC title game was everything. And I knew with 10 days and Christmas falling in the middle of those 10 days.....let's just say I saw this coming and feel bad I didn't have the guts to put money on the game.

Florida did not want to be there. Now, Oklahoma may have beaten them anyway. Hell, they may have won in a blow out too. I don't know.

I do know that they didn't really care. And that's happened in a few bowl games Florida has participated in prior to a playoff. So, I don't just chalk that up to the playoff.

EqiWYtwUwAA9Lhm.jpeg

Reactions: VOL_Lyfe

Again.

This is just sillly. This "killing other bowl games" thing was solidified in the BCS era. If anything the playoffs have helped because it's made 2 bowl games mean something instead of just one. The playing field being level? ROFL....when the hell was it level? You realize if you take out the playoffs and the past 5-6 years, it would still be mostly Alabama/Clemson right? And come on, people haven't given a rat's ass about the bowl games pre-New Year's since I can remember and since the BCS it's been a stretch to say most care about the Outback, Gator, and Citrus. Most of them are living on history, and the majority of bowls are lucky to get half the stadium full.

I mean if you want, we could push to go back to the original purposed of the bowls: 100% exhibition that had zero effect on the final polls.

The NY6 games are the ones suffering the most. They get the players and teams that were almost in the CFP and they have players opt and the rest half ass it. I said it in another post, the game needs a major overhaul.

The real problem is the bowl setup itself is a holdover from a dead model, and the expansions of the bowls watered down the achievement to where you have to be a really bad team to not make a bowl. I'm old enough to remember when there were less than 20 bowls. There were years where 8-3 teams had a very real possibility of not making a bowl, and now that's not really even a possiblity in a normal year.

Then you add to that how the landscape of professional football has changed. The NFL is bigger and more profitable and salaries are sky high. Add to that how much more we know about how football effects the body long term and now you have guys who are thinking they have a relatively small window to make as much money as possible and may suffer some long term damage and they are thinking what's best for them. When you take off the nostalgic glasses and start thinking of it from THAT standpoint, it's hard to argue with their approach.

This is just sillly. This "killing other bowl games" thing was solidified in the BCS era. If anything the playoffs have helped because it's made 2 bowl games mean something instead of just one. The playing field being level? ROFL....when the hell was it level? You realize if you take out the playoffs and the past 5-6 years, it would still be mostly Alabama/Clemson right? And come on, people haven't given a rat's ass about the bowl games pre-New Year's since I can remember and since the BCS it's been a stretch to say most care about the Outback, Gator, and Citrus. Most of them are living on history, and the majority of bowls are lucky to get half the stadium full.

I mean if you want, we could push to go back to the original purposed of the bowls: 100% exhibition that had zero effect on the final polls.

Not only that....Did the Independence Bowl ever mean anything? Did the Outback Bowl ever mean anything?

In the old, old system....the Orange Bowl, Sugar Bowl, and Rose Bowl may have all mattered on the same day because #1 Nebraska was in the Orange Bowl, #2 Georgia in the Sugar Bowl and #3 USC in the Rose Bowl. And if #1 and #2 lost, #3 could win the national title.

But, even in that system, what the hell did the Sun Bowl or Gator Bowl mean?

There is a lot of revisionist history here. The difference today is there are players who are saying....hey, wait a minute. I'm risking my draft spot (which is worth more money now than 30 years ago) to win the damn Gator Bowl? No, thanks. I'm going to sit this one out.

Reactions: VolsSportsFan

VN Store

Back