Cosmos

Third episode was very interesting. I find the careers of these historical scientists fascinating. They had so many discoveries in their life spans. I never realized the Halley didn't live to see the comet that is referred to by his name. I imagined he passed away confident in his prediction of its return.

Some of the animated reenactments are amusing. I can imagine Sir Isaac Newton just causally "Oh yes I discovered that some 5 years ago. It's right here.... somewhere. No matter. I will recreate it."

The Clockwork Universe: Isaac Newton, the Royal Society, and the Birth of the Modern World: Edward Dolnick: 9780061719523: Amazon.com: Books

A good book for you.

I've been trying to DVR one of the re-aires when its on Discovery (I think) but my Sunday's are already filled up to catch its regular Fox airing.

I gotta check this out. I love this stuff, but at the same time I kinda hate SETI for their lobbying and I just learned that their funding came from sensationalized pseudo science. Kinda made me lose respect for Sagan.

I usually watch it Monday morning with my son. Its been really good for what it is. Very entertaining. I really like the stories about the early scientists.

I gotta check this out. I love this stuff, but at the same time I kinda hate SETI for their lobbying and I just learned that their funding came from sensationalized pseudo science. Kinda made me lose respect for Sagan.

I'll be honest. It is good for your young crowd (like pre-teen) but you may not get a lot out of it.

Through the Wormhole is a much better series IMO.

Major difference being Morgan Freeman is a boss and doesn't sound like he's talking to a class full of third graders.

I agree, but it runs deeper than that for me. I find Through the Wormhole intellectually stimulating while Cosmos is visually pleasing.

:eek:lol:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUi7C7QgNXE[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQ7jOcEtmWY[/youtube]

Major difference being Morgan Freeman is a boss and doesn't sound like he's talking to a class full of third graders.

Tyson does that because we forget that the average american is really, really, stupid for the most part.

I'm just surprised Fox picked this show up, personally.

Reactions: 1 person
Did anyone else notice the giant eye in the intro to the show changed?

When it first aired the skin/eyelids around the eyeball were like abnormally black(like it didn't make sense), as the show went on they changed the skin/eyelids to white.

Just thought it was interesting.

Why do you say that?

Their news coverage that they are most famous for is pretty much the entire group of people that Neil Degrasse Tyson and other scientists are up against with so much of the stuff we know now as scientific fact.

VN Store

Back