Coronavirus (No politics)

I may have missed something, but I hope nursing homes and assisted living centers suspend family visits if they haven't already. That's terrible to imagine not being able to go see a family member, but if there's any chance it could keep them healthy during this crisis, it's best to do it

They already have, at least a week ago.

89435957_3061079993954700_6247099059530629120_n.jpg
If that's the life savings then these are the gold...

1584051480800.png

Reactions: SweetasSoda
Public schools are closed for the next two weeks. I'm meeting with a few key people tomorrow to figure out what we can do for our employees. I think we're gonna have to allow them to bring their kids to work.

I don't know what field you work in, but I suspect we will start seeing more of this. I also think some companies will begin closing offices entirely. The optics of how that will work with paying employees who can't work from home will be a nightmare to figure out.

I don't know what field you work in, but I suspect we will start seeing more of this. I also think some companies will begin closing offices entirely. The optics of how that will work with paying employees who can't work from home will be a nightmare to figure out.
We are a small manufacturing facility. We can't stop filling orders.

We're saying a lot of prayers right now.

We are a small manufacturing facility. We can't stop filling orders.

We're saying a lot of prayers right now.
. Yea it will be my wife can work from home but I can’t

. Yea it will be my wife can work from home but I can’t

That's why the government needs to implement at the very least 7 days paid sick leave policy. Some companies only allow 2 sick days per year before you start giving slaps on the wrist to employees. During a time like this, that is unacceptable considering that there are so many employees who have to go in the office to work.

In addition, the government needs to find a way, some way, to ensure pay for hourly employees who are sick or are unable to work due to office closure. I'd hate to be the one figuring out how to allocate funds to make that possible, but it has to happen. Perhaps a temporary $1,000 monthly stipend for hourly employees who are unable to work following company closure or are sick? That isn't much, but it might just be enough to live on in the interim. IDK. Glad I'm not in charge of all that.

Reactions: BigOrangeAl 1979
We just have to figure out this new normal for a while, and do the best we can.

Yep. That's all we can do. Pray, do everything we can, and hope that our government leaders and leaders in the scientific community get a handle on this.

I don't know what to do so i'm asking those with smarts what a person is to do. I pulled in to put gas in the car and it hit me....someone else has touched the gas nozzle. It struck me that i shouldn't get out of the car and i needed to go get some protective gloves. If i don't i might pick up a germ or get some kind of virus by gassing the car up.

I drove to Walmart to buy gloves, parked and started to get out and it occurred to me that i cannot go inside at any cost. I could see them right in front of me.....yes there were people....lots of them going to and fro...shopping there. Why, i can't go in there! Someone might give me a cold!! I drove away.

I had some gas in the car but need some groceries. I stopped at a small store, waited until i saw no customers in there and raced inside. To the bread isle. There it is....i'll get that loaf. No i can't! Someone has touched it putting it on the shelf!!! I quickly run to the paper towels, tear a package open and grab a roll, race by the shelf snatching a can of Lysol as i go by, spray the bag holding the bread and wipe it down with towels. Whew! Thats done. Now to the meat department. There's a nice, big package of thick sliced bacon. No, wait! That pig could have had some kind of virus and i'll get it if i eat that. Vegetables....yes that's it!!

Jogging to the canned goods section and there's the whole kernal corn. Yes, i'll get a bunch of it....no wait! What if the farmer had a runny nose, petted the pig, the pig gets into the cornfield, his back is itching and he scratches himself on the corn stalk. Does that mean because the farmer had a sinus headache, petted the pig, the pig rubs his back on the cornstalk, the cold germs will be transferred to the corn stalk which will go to the ears of corn and then will be transferred to me because i ate the corn?

I am locked inside my house awaiting your advice as to what i should do. Oh, my goodness!! I'm not safe here in my own castle!! Wow! That was close. The lights were on. The linesman could have been a carrier of some malady, was working on a transformer, his germs then went from the transformer to the wires then spread to the electricity which carried it to my house through to the light bulbs and then shined it right down into the room that i am in!!!

Does anyone, anywhere know what we are to do?? By the way....will i catch something if you are sick and i read your answer???

1800 dollars. Why is that??
That is what one of my providers mentioned as the cost. He may be wrong about the price, I don’t know. Regardless, it’s not cheap. We learned today that there is a new test specifically for this coronavirus that we can obtain, for lack of a better word, but it’s a send out to an independent lab and has a four day turnaround. Patient has to self-quarantine while awaiting results.

I wear latex gloves and disinfectant wipe everything before I touch it. And a p95 mask. This virus stays alive for 14 hours (A cough or sneeze) on any surface; fabric. That is why you see workers in hazmat suits. Wish I had one. This is the most contagious virus ever documented.

At my ER, we test for a number of different viruses, as appropriate. We have individual tests for influenza (A or B, as is standard) and RSV, but we have another test that we can run that we call a Respiratory Biofire test that tests for several different viruses (along with influenza and RSV) including the coronavirus strain that has been here in the US for years. We don't run this test on everyone for a number of reasons. Firstly, it costs about $1800 to run it, making it cost prohibitive for many people. Secondly, their symptoms don't warrant running that particular test. Thirdly, any result is not going to change their treatment since most of these viruses HAVE NO TREATMENT, and fourthly, it takes approximately an hour (usually closer to 90 minutes) to run this test.

I do understand the importance of testing, in regards to getting as much data and information about a new strain of a virus that is spreading around the world, but not every single person that has a cough and a sniffle needs to be tested for COVID-19 when they are otherwise healthy and well. It's a waste of time and resources. You're going to have a number of people that are negative for COVID-19, but may have rhinovirus/adenovirus/parainfluenza....none of which matters because the treatment for all of them is the same....symptom management and mitigation. You're also going to have a number of people that test positive for COVID-19 and are relatively asymptomatic, or at most....have to manage their symptoms the same way as if they had one of these other aforementioned viruses.

Wash your hands. Cover your cough. Stay home if you feel bad.

Amen. People who are sick but not with something they would normally go to the doctor for will now go and waste hospital resources in a time when we absolutely cannot afford to waste any resources.

VN Store

Back