Coronavirus (No politics)

Wife went to work this morning and said cops were out asking if people were essential.

Flattening the curve Italy vs US
It looks like it took Italy about 3.5 weeks to reach peak and hopefully they are over the worst of it now. Our testing and defensive measures are entering their 2nd week. Hopefully in two more weeks we will see the curve flatten and start seeing 50/50 recoveries vs new cases.
20200331_081202.jpg20200331_081114.jpg

Last edited:
Well my brother caught the virus and probably spread it between his trip to the Galapagos Islands and Knoxville... my niece has it (recovering) in Queens/NYC... and my son is a hospital intern in Orange County NY treating Wuhan virus patients.

Apparently there are people who think virus related unemployment will be a permanent rather than a temporary situation. It's always possible people will figure out how to do things like cook and decide to eat out less often, but to think this would spawn a whole generation of DIYers or that entire service or manufacturing industries will simply disappear is bizarre.
It won’t but here is my concern depending on operating capital businesses and owners have saved up might determine how fast things get back. If you don’t have operating capital to get thru or sustain for several months after the “end “ of this you won’t make it. I am not expecting an immediate switch back to my pre Covid revenue numbers but rather several months or over a year, but we will see.

I personally know of several food and beverage related businesses that have closed and filed chapter 11 already from talking to my sales rep for a large regional purveyor. They most likely they (food purveyor) will get stuck with the 10,25, or +50k$ s outstanding balances from some of these people. Allowing for how slow it will be to adjudicate these bankruptcy’s landlords, purveyors, staff, shareholders, utilities will be there with their hand out and untill that’s resolved nothing can happen. When a “new“ company wants to open in that space credit will most likely be tighter based on the losses many corporations and ppl took with a shutdown. It depends on small business admin to float low interest loans to service, small manuf, restaurants, etc and how much trouble it is to get that help.

Apparently there are people who think virus related unemployment will be a permanent rather than a temporary situation. It's always possible people will figure out how to do things like cook and decide to eat out less often, but to think this would spawn a whole generation of DIYers or that entire service or manufacturing industries will simply disappear is bizarre.

I agree it just depends on what group you fall into.....The always been a DIYer who will slowly die off, the ones that think they can by watching a video but cannot implement a plan, the ones that think not working and taking a Govt Handout is the way to live for the rest of their lives. This nation may have to retrain a large part of the workforce on how to do their jobs properly. It could be a rebuild from ground zero and a reality check for many. Our parents talk about the Great Depression that experienced it and although IMO we will not get there but could I hope that most of us know how to respond to the times ahead vs just sitting back and watching others take on the load to rebuild this country.

Reactions: RavinDave and AM64
It won’t but here is my concern depending on operating capital businesses and owners have saved up might determine how fast things get back. If you don’t have operating capital to get thru or sustain for several months after the “end “ of this you won’t make it. I am not expecting an immediate switch back to my pre Covid revenue numbers but rather several months or over a year, but we will see.

I personally know of several food and beverage related businesses that have closed and filed chapter 11 already from talking to my sales rep for a large regional purveyor. They most likely they (food purveyor) will get stuck with the 10,25, or +50k$ s outstanding balances from some of these people. Allowing for how slow it will be to adjudicate these bankruptcy’s landlords, purveyors, staff, shareholders, utilities will be there with their hand out and untill that’s resolved nothing can happen. When a “new“ company wants to open in that space credit will most likely be tighter based on the losses many corporations and ppl took with a shutdown. It depends on small business admin to float low interest loans to service, small manuf, restaurants, etc and how much trouble it is to get that help.
We're estimating 6+ months after the end to get back to 'normal', largely because the economy here was already fragile and it's teetering on failure right now.

Reactions: AM64
Trying to get in on a short term traveler contract. Make no mistake, the money being offered is hella nice, but I’ve always wanted to be on the frontline and helping out in a disaster, but my work was still going on and I couldn’t get away.

Reactions: volwindy and TBrown
They don't. I'm not seeing that in Kingsport.
"We will not be patrolling the streets, looking to pull people over, looking for violators that happening to be out traveling," said Johnson City City Manager Pete Peterson. "We need to isolate from each other as much as possible."

Maybe they were just trying to get people not to congregate together.

There are some companies here that have given letters as well, but we're still "safer at home" and there is no legal standing to keep up from going out to work. They did close some businesses, salons, etc, that they deemed non-essential. But other places are still open.

"We will not be patrolling the streets, looking to pull people over, looking for violators that happening to be out traveling," said Johnson City City Manager Pete Peterson. "We need to isolate from each other as much as possible."

Maybe they were just trying to get people not to congregate together.

There are some companies here that have given letters as well, but we're still "safer at home" and there is no legal standing to keep up from going out to work. They did close some businesses, salons, etc, that they deemed non-essential. But other places are still open.
Hard to say without more detail. It seems odd though. From my time living in Johnson City, the idea that thier PD is overstepping it's authority doesn't really shock me. But I'm probably biased.

Reactions: AM64 and davethevol
I’m pretty sure they don’t have any legal authority to stop anyone. They’re going to encounter the wrong person doing this kind of stuff.

Well i just went for a drive and there was still quite a bit of activity going on so maybe it’s just near the hospital they are doing it.

FWIW I also drove by the Dive Thru testing station and there wasn't a single car in the line.

Reactions: AM64 and allvol123
Also just reported first COVID related death in our area. Ballad Health CEO wouldn’t say which facility it was in but it was a man over 70 with multiple underlying conditions.

Reactions: davethevol
I agree it just depends on what group you fall into.....The always been a DIYer who will slowly die off, the ones that think they can by watching a video but cannot implement a plan, the ones that think not working and taking a Govt Handout is the way to live for the rest of their lives. This nation may have to retrain a large part of the workforce on how to do their jobs properly. It could be a rebuild from ground zero and a reality check for many. Our parents talk about the Great Depression that experienced it and although IMO we will not get there but could I hope that most of us know how to respond to the times ahead vs just sitting back and watching others take on the load to rebuild this country.

In a way we need a reset . We went way to far into the college for everybody, but without courses of study tied to careers - engineering, medicine, etc. We spent too much time steering a few generations away from generally skilled trades and labor. It was nice having economists etc floating ideas about how we've risen above people working in plants to people developing, maintaining, and programming automation that replaced human labor. The math just doesn't work out if you still employ the same number of people that automation replaced and still pay for the automation. If you hire fewer people, then eventually you get into the problem of who buys your goods - even more true if we aren't even manufacturing here in this country. This forced semi hibernation should be a great lesson about the problem with people not working, needing stuff, and not having the job related income to buy it. Somehow, though, I think we'll largely miss the lesson.

I thought your preference is to go out of business. Why not do that?
Because my wife, the real boss of the thing, decided she wanted to see if she could stick it out. My recommendation was to shut down, but she didn't want to. So I support her call.

VN Store

Back