Coronavirus (No politics)

Persistent Loss of Smell Due to COVID-19 Closely Connected to Long-Lasting Cognitive Problems

Loss of Smell from COVID-19, Cognitive Problems Linked | AAIC

Press release from this year's Alzheimer’s Association International Conference. Starts:

SAN DIEGO, JULY 31, 2022 — New insights into factors that may predict, increase or protect against the impact of COVID-19 and the pandemic on memory and thinking skills were revealed by multiple studies reported today at the Alzheimer’s Association International Conference® (AAIC®) 2022 in San Diego and virtually.​
Among the key findings reported at AAIC 2022:​
A group from Argentina found that persistent loss of the sense of smell may be a better predictor of long-term cognitive and functional impairment than severity of the initial COVID-19 disease.​

Persistence of somatic symptoms after COVID-19 in the Netherlands: an observational cohort study

Summary​
Background​
Patients often report various symptoms after recovery from acute COVID-19. Previous studies on post-COVID-19 condition have not corrected for the prevalence and severity of these common symptoms before COVID-19 and in populations without SARS-CoV-2 infection. We aimed to analyse the nature, prevalence, and severity of long-term symptoms related to COVID-19, while correcting for symptoms present before SARS-CoV-2 infection and controlling for the symptom dynamics in the population without infection.​
Methods​
This study is based on data collected within Lifelines, a multidisciplinary, prospective, population-based, observational cohort study examining the health and health-related behaviours of people living in the north of the Netherlands. All Lifelines participants aged 18 years or older received invitations to digital COVID-19 questionnaires. Longitudinal dynamics of 23 somatic symptoms surrounding COVID-19 diagnoses (due to SARS-CoV-2 alpha [B.1.1.7] variant or previous variants) were assessed using 24 repeated measurements between March 31, 2020, and Aug 2, 2021. Participants with COVID-19 (a positive SARS-CoV-2 test or a physician's diagnosis of COVID-19) were matched by age, sex, and time to COVID-19-negative controls. We recorded symptom severity before and after COVID-19 in participants with COVID-19 and compared that with matched controls.​
Findings​
76 422 participants (mean age 53·7 years [SD 12·9], 46 329 [60·8%] were female) completed a total of 883 973 questionnaires. Of these, 4231 (5·5%) participants had COVID-19 and were matched to 8462 controls. Persistent symptoms in COVID-19-positive participants at 90–150 days after COVID-19 compared with before COVID-19 and compared with matched controls included chest pain, difficulties with breathing, pain when breathing, painful muscles, ageusia or anosmia, tingling extremities, lump in throat, feeling hot and cold alternately, heavy arms or legs, and general tiredness. In 12·7% of patients, these symptoms could be attributed to COVID-19, as 381 (21·4%) of 1782 COVID-19-positive participants versus 361 (8·7%) of 4130 COVID-19-negative controls had at least one of these core symptoms substantially increased to at least moderate severity at 90–150 days after COVID-19 diagnosis or matched timepoint. Interpretation​
To our knowledge, this is the first study to report the nature and prevalence of post-COVID-19 condition, while correcting for individual symptoms present before COVID-19 and the symptom dynamics in the population without SARS-CoV-2 infection during the pandemic. Further research that distinguishes potential mechanisms driving post-COVID-19-related symptomatology is required.​

Reactions: ENGRVOL
Persistent Loss of Smell Due to COVID-19 Closely Connected to Long-Lasting Cognitive Problems

Press release from this year's Alzheimer’s Association International Conference. Starts:

SAN DIEGO, JULY 31, 2022 — New insights into factors that may predict, increase or protect against the impact of COVID-19 and the pandemic on memory and thinking skills were revealed by multiple studies reported today at the Alzheimer’s Association International Conference® (AAIC®) 2022 in San Diego and virtually.​
A group from Argentina found that persistent loss of the sense of smell may be a better predictor of long-term cognitive and functional impairment than severity of the initial COVID-19 disease.​

How do they define "persistent" loss?

Can I claim disability, asking for a friend.

Persistence of somatic symptoms after COVID-19 in the Netherlands: an observational cohort study

Summary​
Background​
Patients often report various symptoms after recovery from acute COVID-19. Previous studies on post-COVID-19 condition have not corrected for the prevalence and severity of these common symptoms before COVID-19 and in populations without SARS-CoV-2 infection. We aimed to analyse the nature, prevalence, and severity of long-term symptoms related to COVID-19, while correcting for symptoms present before SARS-CoV-2 infection and controlling for the symptom dynamics in the population without infection.​
Methods​
This study is based on data collected within Lifelines, a multidisciplinary, prospective, population-based, observational cohort study examining the health and health-related behaviours of people living in the north of the Netherlands. All Lifelines participants aged 18 years or older received invitations to digital COVID-19 questionnaires. Longitudinal dynamics of 23 somatic symptoms surrounding COVID-19 diagnoses (due to SARS-CoV-2 alpha [B.1.1.7] variant or previous variants) were assessed using 24 repeated measurements between March 31, 2020, and Aug 2, 2021. Participants with COVID-19 (a positive SARS-CoV-2 test or a physician's diagnosis of COVID-19) were matched by age, sex, and time to COVID-19-negative controls. We recorded symptom severity before and after COVID-19 in participants with COVID-19 and compared that with matched controls.​
Findings​
76 422 participants (mean age 53·7 years [SD 12·9], 46 329 [60·8%] were female) completed a total of 883 973 questionnaires. Of these, 4231 (5·5%) participants had COVID-19 and were matched to 8462 controls. Persistent symptoms in COVID-19-positive participants at 90–150 days after COVID-19 compared with before COVID-19 and compared with matched controls included chest pain, difficulties with breathing, pain when breathing, painful muscles, ageusia or anosmia, tingling extremities, lump in throat, feeling hot and cold alternately, heavy arms or legs, and general tiredness. In 12·7% of patients, these symptoms could be attributed to COVID-19, as 381 (21·4%) of 1782 COVID-19-positive participants versus 361 (8·7%) of 4130 COVID-19-negative controls had at least one of these core symptoms substantially increased to at least moderate severity at 90–150 days after COVID-19 diagnosis or matched timepoint. Interpretation​
To our knowledge, this is the first study to report the nature and prevalence of post-COVID-19 condition, while correcting for individual symptoms present before COVID-19 and the symptom dynamics in the population without SARS-CoV-2 infection during the pandemic. Further research that distinguishes potential mechanisms driving post-COVID-19-related symptomatology is required.​

Long covid/postacute sequela of sarscov2 or whatever they call it seems to be the new fibromyalgia/chronic fatigue syndrome.

New Zealand allowed pharmacists to dispense COVID-19 antivirals and 'everyone realised it was a win'

Why some consider NZ's approach to COVID antivirals 'one of the best models around the world'

Makes a lot of sense. Why not leverage the broad distribution network of retail pharmacies. Plus trained pharmacists are well equipped to identify the need for antivirals. And it keeps the medical system from getting log jammed.
Honestly, this 'novel' approach is logical. Pharmacists are at front line if this deal anyway.

Now that we're pretty much ignoring Covid, I will say, everybody who said we should ignore it should be very happy. I know my wife is. she wants to go on a cruise.

Reactions: Bassmaster_Vol
The back in here about natural immunity not helping was fun . Lol
Ms. Jean-Pierre:

"Look, we knew this was going to happen. As Dr. Jha said, you know, when he was — when he joined me at the briefing — in the briefing room not too long ago, he said this is — this is — you know, everyone was — at some point, everyone is going to get COVID."

Went the entire pandemic without having to take a Covid test until this July. Got Covid when I went back to Nashville for my grandmother's funeral. It sucked.

Here I am with Covid again 60-75 days later. My 4 month old daughter contracted it at daycare over a week ago. We thought she was fussy last week from teething until we took her temp on Sunday. Then the daycare provider called and said a couple of the kids and a parent have it. So, she was teething AND had Covid... been a rough week for us.

Thankfully by the time we got ger tested Tuesday she hadn't had a fever since Monday morning. But now she has croup that's making me concerned. Prayers for that.

My wife hasn't gotten Covid yet. She managed to only get a little congestion when I had it in July. She's been congested and has had a headache this week. No fever.

My throat got suddenly painful yesterday afternoon at work. Woke up about 2 hours ago with a full blown 101.8 degree fever, entire body aches, headache, sore throat. Was hoping my recent illness would help me out and expected my wife to have it worse. She still feels bad with a faint positive test but no fever. Insane immune system... we've been dating/married for 7 years now and I've never seen her truly ill... meanwhile I'd have to use an abacus to count all the times I've been sick since then.

Now that we're pretty much ignoring Covid, I will say, everybody who said we should ignore it should be very happy. I know my wife is. she wants to go on a cruise.
A cruise ship s a floating petri dish. We were on one 8-31 to 9-11. We both had it. A bad cold for me. Wife has been on steroids for 10 days for lung congestion.
Read the last few pages of this discussion which is people who were on the cruise. The link is to the last page.
https://boards.cruisecritic.com/top...boston-maine-canada-celebrity-summit/page/59/

"You do not have permission to view this topic."
Oops sorry. I thought you could view, but not post if you are not a memeber of Cruise Critic.
To make along story short.
You had to test negative before boarding the ship.
About 4 days into the cruise a few people had it. On the 7th day I got it. Wife had it 2 days later.
When you walked around the ship that "Covid Cough" was every where.
If you could read the link I posted there were many people that didn't have symptoms until they flew home from Boston.

If youcruise, Cruise Critic has a lot of information from people that cruise often.
I think you are able to read the other sections of the website just not the rollcalls if unregistered.
Example:
Cruise Critic Community

Reactions: Sea Ray

The data that Barenson references does not suggest this. Taking into account covid deaths the age-standerdized death rate is essentially unchanged compared to previous years and the only other significant difference looking at the latest month of data provided is with increase in age-standardized deaths from dementia and influenza.

Knew I wasn't feeling well, but a home test confirmed it.....popped hot for COVID despite being 2x vaccinated. Mrs. DeusEx got it too, and she's got the shot 3x.

I ain't got time for this being sick nonsense.
Sorry about that...It's here forever now, hopefully it remains much less lethal as it evolves.

VN Store

Back