Coronavirus (No politics)

Association between covid-19 vaccination, SARS-CoV-2 infection, and risk of immune mediated neurological events: population based cohort and self-controlled case series analysis

Conclusions No safety signal was observed between covid-19 vaccines and the immune mediated neurological events of Bell’s palsy, encephalomyelitis, Guillain-Barré syndrome, and transverse myelitis. An increased risk of Bell’s palsy, encephalomyelitis, and Guillain-Barré syndrome was, however, observed for people with SARS-CoV-2 infection.

89E9F493-B55F-4C46-B109-AC343ACD3BE0.jpeg

Pfizer's Covid vaccine safe in people with prior myocarditis, study says

The new study was presented virtually at the European Society of Cardiology Acute CardioVascular Care conference. It has not yet been published in a peer-reviewed journal, though it is undergoing peer review.​
Researchers from France studied 55 patients, most of them young men, who had been hospitalized with myocarditis within the last five years and were later inoculated with a Covid-19 vaccine.​
Patients were contacted by the researchers by phone and asked if they had been vaccinated, with which vaccine, how many times and whether they experienced any side effects.​
They found that none of the patients experienced myocarditis, or any other serious adverse event after vaccination, suggesting that the Pfizer vaccine is not associated with a risk of recurrence of the condition. Because the vast majority of the patients in the study were vaccinated with the Pfizer vaccine, the findings cannot be applied to other currently available Covid shots, such as Moderna’s, the authors noted.​
The results may be reassuring to those with a history of myocarditis who are reluctant to get vaccinated.​

-The biggest study yet on ivermectin as a treatment for COVID has found what most experts have been saying for months: IT DOES NOT WORK. The drug—which is also used to deworm horses—is favored by the anti-vaxxer crowd and non-scientists like Joe Rogan. But a trial involving 1,400 infected people at risk of severe disease found it did not better than a placebo, The Wall Street Journal reports. It did not shorten hospitals stays, get the virus out of the body faster, or keep more people alive. “There was no indication that ivermectin is clinically useful,” said Professor Edward Mills, one of the study’s lead researchers.-

Reactions: ENGRVOL
New extra-contagious Omicron subvariant will lead to 'inevitable' Covid wave in U.S., scientists say

New more contagious Omicron subvariant accounting for 35% of new infections, CDC says
That's a balanced article with a little bit of a bad headline. The article quotes Fauci himself somewhat downplaying the hysteria . . .

Dr. Anthony Fauci, the U.S. government’s top infectious disease expert, told ABC’s "This Week" over the weekend that he also thinks the U.S. will likely face an "uptick" similar to what’s happening in Europe, particularly the United Kingdom, where BA.2 is the dominant strain. He said he doesn’t think it will be a "surge."
. . . and this is what's at the end of the article.

Still, not all experts are equally concerned about a BA.2-related rise in U.S. cases. Dr. James Musser, head of genomic medicine and infectious diseases at Houston Methodist, said the variant has so far only caused about 1% to 3% of cases in his medical system. Cases there have usually tracked closely with what’s happening in the U.K.

He called BA.2 "something we’re keeping an eye on," but said, "I’m not losing sleep" over it.

That’s how many scientists view the other variant that some in the public are calling "deltacron," a hybrid containing genetic information from both delta and omicron.

Earlier this month, Maria Van Kerkhove of the World Health Organization said the hybrid has been detected at "very low levels" in France, the Netherlands and Denmark. And two recent studies, which have not yet been peer-reviewed, point to a tiny number of cases in the U.S.

Reactions: MAD
I've had COVID before. This feels nothing like it IMO.

Just a PSA, but covid symptoms widely vary. I’ve had employees that thought they had sinus issues, sneezing, etc and then tested positive. Just knew with your health history, I didn’t want you to dismiss the possibility. 😉

Reactions: UTProf
Just a PSA, but covid symptoms widely vary. I’ve had employees that thought they had sinus issues, sneezing, etc and then tested positive. Just knew with your health history, I didn’t want you to dismiss the possibility. 😉
Guess it's possible, but I've previously had COVID, plus I'm fully vaccinated, with 2 booster shots under my belt (4 shots total). Just got my second booster a couple of weeks ago, because Vanderbilt recommended it.

Guess it's possible, but I've previously had COVID, plus I'm fully vaccinated, with 2 booster shots under my belt (4 shots total). Just got my second booster a couple of weeks ago, because Vanderbilt recommended it.

I need to get my boosters. I'm fairly sure me ignoring getting my booster led to me getting a harsher version of COVID. My town is a hotspot and even though I'm cautious it's still hard to avoid something as contagious as COVID. I never did get tested but given the length of time I was sick I don't think it could've been anyting else -- cold and flu wouldn't have kept me down as long. Plus the nurses told me they thought it was prob. COVID as well.

I need to get my boosters. I'm fairly sure me ignoring getting my booster led to me getting a harsher version of COVID. My town is a hotspot and even though I'm cautious it's still hard to avoid something as contagious as COVID. I never did get tested but given the length of time I was sick I don't think it could've been anyting else -- cold and flu wouldn't have kept me down as long. Plus the nurses told me they thought it was prob. COVID as well.
I’ve haven’t had time to get my boosters. At this point it’s been added to my bucket list 😒.

Reactions: UTProf
Ha! I know what you mean. It's been around long enough where we've kinda gotten a little too used to it so we put it off the same way we put off other things.
I put off plenty. I always try to schedule when I know I’m off from work the next day. It’s wreaked me both times. Work schedule hasn’t been in my favor when I try to schedule off day.

US just broke a million Covid deaths.
One American in 275 gone.
Deadliest event in US history.
0C4DB2CB-269B-4E8B-B6C6-0A1A7EAC72A8.jpeg

VN Store

Back