Coronavirus (No politics)

‘pathetic’ is the word I would use.
masks are as effective as a chain link fence around your property to keep mosquitos out.
Not sure how many Scientific queries have looked into use of chain link fencing to aid in mosquito remediation.

Assuredly, there are volumes providing conclusive evidence that wearing masks, specifically surgical masks, in a hospital or otherwise REDUCE spread/transmission of infectious diseases from mask wearer to other person. Along with handwashing, distancing, and not spitting directly into someone's eye/not touching face.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
Masks can help, but nothing is foolproof and all mitigation measures really depend on the situation if they're effective or not. It doesn't really make sense to me for folks to say masks do nothing just like it makes no sense for folks to say masks are the answer. Hey...I get that people like to pick a side, and you can't have sides without creating polar opposite viewpoints. It's unfortunate that some folks can't accept variables and understand that "it depends" and "maybe" are actually acceptable answers.

Masks can help, but nothing is foolproof and all mitigation measures really depend on the situation if they're effective or not. It doesn't really make sense to me for folks to say masks do nothing just like it makes no sense for folks to say masks are the answer. Hey...I get that people like to pick a side, and you can't have sides without creating polar opposite viewpoints. It's unfortunate that some folks can't accept variables and understand that "it depends" and "maybe" are actually acceptable answers.
+1

I think most people that are pro-mask understand they are not 100%. It’s about mitigation, not elimination.

Anti-mask people seem to think that since it is not 100% effective then there is not point and are apparently willing to cut ties with friends and family over it. Or throw public tantrums.

Personally I don’t like wearing a mask but it’s not gonna break me.

I think masks are a f'n joke for the same reason..you cannot say masks are the reason flu numbers are low, while also saying the reason covid numbers is high is because of people not wearing masks...you can't have it both ways.

I agree in a vacuum this feels like a completely logical conclusion.

If we investigate it further though, we will find that it seems rational, based on our intituition and pre-disposition to think linearly.

But when we factor in exponents, it tells an entirely different story.

It looks something like this:

The first and most important thing to analyze is that the Flu and Covid are not the same. Their contagion probabilities are different, their incubation length in a host is different varies (this is a big one. Basically, how long are you contagious) Their survival length on surfaces or in air is different. Etc..

Those aren’t the only differentiating factor, but they are big ones.

so let’s just use simple, conservative, whole numbers to do some math.

If Covid is 2x more contagious than the flu after combining all possible contagion factors. (It’s likely significantly higher, but 2x is easier to do follow an example for)

And to consider each doubling from patient zero

2 to the 15 power is 32k
4 to the 15 power is over 1 billion

Exponents are wacky.

That helps illustrate how something twice as viral doesn’t linearly grow in a given period.

Alright. Now let’s factor mask effectiveness.

The report peer reviewed study I gave earlier purported numbers in this ballpark, but 50% is a nice round number that’s easy, so let’s just go with masks reduce infection rate by 50% when used properly and by all parties.

Suddenly, something with the virality of the flu would be seemingly wiped out. But Covid numbers would still be incredibly high relative to the flu

But relative to itself, prior to mask interventions, it would be incredibly low.

The TLDR there is that masks could have very well prevented tens of millions of infections of Covid, but still have very high infection numbers compared to the flu.

and preventing tens of millions of new infection lowers the exponent.

I think most people that are pro-mask understand they are not 100%. It’s about mitigation, not elimination.

Anti-mask people seem to think that since it is not 100% effective then there is not point and are apparently willing to cut ties with friends and family over it. Or throw public tantrums.

This. The anti mask people act like you're cutting off their arm when forced or asked to wear a mask.

there are outspoken Karen’s on both sides of this debate. I’ve had things said to me by both at one point or another.

I've stopped speaking with several members of my family due to their insistence on me wearing them. I won't be told what to do by anyone even those I thought I loved
That’s just ludicrous, who in the hell are these people wanting me to wear a damn mask, especially the weak immunocompromised and those pesky old grandparents. Keep your chin up and don’t let these people get you down, keep doing you 👍

Reactions: DuckInAPen and MAD

bs ive seen you at Target knocking all the socks into the isle, making that hourly employee restock it again. #savage.

This is so dumb. Omicron isnt Delta.
Clay Travis brings up such an interesting point, why would we quarantine or cancel for this, but if you realize it’s flu you’ll let someone on a plane and play. We can argue severity but at the end of the day they’re both contagious. Gotta learn how to live around this and remember that Michael Jordan’s flu game is one of the most iconic parts of his career.

Clay Travis brings up such an interesting point, why would we quarantine or cancel for this, but if you realize it’s flu you’ll let someone on a plane and play. We can argue severity but at the end of the day they’re both contagious. Gotta learn how to live around this and remember that Michael Jordan’s flu game is one of the most iconic parts of his career.
While I dont think its flu. Virologists say its weakening, thus far following tracks of other viruses. The medicines available on periphery (not to mention what's available now), along with common sense practices, such as mask wearing when appropriate, make this just a dumb thing to do. Clay Travis is an attorney, and not even practicing. If I need a referral to a DUI lawyer he'd be my 99th call.

While I dont think its flu. Virologists say its weakening, thus far following tracks of other viruses. The medicines available on periphery (not to mention what's available now), along with common sense practices, such as mask wearing when appropriate, make this just a dumb thing to do. Clay Travis is an attorney, and not even practicing. If I need a referral to a DUI lawyer he'd be my 99th call.
I think trend should be kept in mind with all viruses. The Spanish flu killed 30 million and still exists today but doesn’t kill at the same rate due to a weakened form of the virus plus herd immunity. We should see the same downward trend here as well. Just got to get the politics out of the way. The law angle my not be everyone’s favorite component of the argument but is still essential (as it was after 9/11 as well)

Remember this when some idiot tells you "it's mild" or only kills old and fat people.

Long Covid: 'I have to choose between walking and talking'

More than a million people in the UK are suffering from long Covid, with fears the number could rise due to the Omicron variant. Many patients say they only had a mild initial infection but it went on to ruin their health, social lives and finances.

Excerpt:
Jasmine Hayer, 32, was living in London and training to be a yoga teacher when she caught coronavirus last March.
It sometimes feels like it was a different person, she says, speaking slowly and carefully from her parent's house in Biggleswade, Bedfordshire.
She moved back there last summer when she realised she couldn't even make her bed without becoming breathless.
"This illness is so baffling and no-one really knows how to treat it. I honestly don't know if I will ever get back to full health but I'll never stop trying," she says.

I mostly dislike clay Travis, but he's one of the few in the media who at least try to make logical arguments. I think he went too far with most of his covid takes (including this one), but his mind works like a good lawyer, and he can articulate arguments very well. I don't like him as a person very much, but I think your take here is a little more emotional than reasonable, especially that last line. What does his being a practicing attorney have to do with anything?

I mostly dislike clay Travis, but he's one of the few in the media who at least try to make logical arguments. I think he went too far with most of his covid takes (including this one), but his mind works like a good lawyer, and he can articulate arguments very well. I don't like him as a person very much, but I think your take here is a little more emotional than reasonable, especially that last line. What does his being a practicing attorney have to do with anything?
giving Covid advice when your background is law?

Reactions: MAD
giving Covid advice when your background is law?
Literally every person in America is doing that haha.

There is enough published data out there about covid and enough observable evidence for intelligent people to make conclusions without having to study virology.

For instance, I can read the Cleveland clinic study myself in order to call BS on people who say natural immunity is nowhere near as effective as the vaccine. I don't need to be a doctor.

Now if your stance is that only doctors should be giving covid advice, that's not an unreasonable take. But I would just disagree with it, and you'd probably be a pretty irritated person with millions or tens of millions of people drawing conclusions and giving advice about covid in our country every day.

Literally every person in America is doing that haha.

There is enough published data out there about covid and enough observable evidence for intelligent people to make conclusions without having to study virology.

For instance, I can read the Cleveland clinic study myself in order to call BS on people who say natural immunity is nowhere near as effective as the vaccine. I don't need to be a doctor.

Now if your stance is that only doctors should be giving covid advice, that's not an unreasonable take. But I would just disagree with it, and you'd probably be a pretty irritated person with millions or tens of millions of people drawing conclusions and giving advice about covid in our country every day.
Because much of what is being done is driven by politics. Therefore, since much of it is not based on pure “science” or “medical facts”, it is much more discussed than should be necessary.

VN Store

Back