Coronavirus (No politics)

I watched the trophy ceremony for the Austrian GP today. It was the first podium finish for the guy who finished 3rd, so he was jacked up despite no crowd and a very toned-down ceremony. Everyone was well distanced although they did have the obligatory champagne magnums. The third place finisher takes a big chug, then bangs the thing on the ground and sprays the other podium finishers and then his pit crew out of the same bottle that he had his mouth all over a couple of seconds before. This is all normal stuff in non-pandemic times, which just goes to show that despite best efforts we're often going to default to high risk behavior.

Reactions: ATC_VOL
They haven't said it yet, but it seems that the G strain of the virus is far less deadly than the D one that hit early, it makes sense because the evolution of viruses is for them not to kill their host.

Reactions: allvol123
I was at Kings Island all weekend. Masks were mandatory. For the most part, people followed the ground markers and distanced. It was strange seeing coaster queue lines with everyone standing 6 feet apart.

Overall, they seemed to doing a good job. Temp taken at the gate. Loading coaster using every other row. Cleaned every 30 minutes or so.

Cross the boarder to Indiana and the parks there are a different story. Holiday World and Indiana Beach are both "mask recommended" and few people are wearing them. Personally, I enjoyed HW more due to that. Kings Island, with a 100+ heat index, in masks was tough during the middle of the day. By 5 or 6 at night, the park was dead and temps started dropping a bit. Tough going all day in those conditions.

Reactions: volwindy and VolnJC
I was at Kings Island all weekend. Masks were mandatory. For the most part, people followed the ground markers and distanced. It was strange seeing coaster queue lines with everyone standing 6 feet apart.

Overall, they seemed to doing a good job. Temp taken at the gate. Loading coaster using every other row. Cleaned every 30 minutes or so.

Cross the boarder to Indiana and the parks there are a different story. Holiday World and Indiana Beach are both "mask recommended" and few people are wearing them. Personally, I enjoyed HW more due to that. Kings Island, with a 100+ heat index, in masks was tough during the middle of the day. By 5 or 6 at night, the park was dead and temps started dropping a bit. Tough going all day in those conditions.
We have had to cancel so much stuff we had planned... coronavirus..my mother and our longtime pet both passed away last month..dealing now with my FIL who is struggling with heart and kidney failure...my autistic son needs some time for just me and him...I told him I would take him on a short road trip and gave him 3 or 4 options...he chose Wild Adventures in Valdosta hopefully it won't shut down before our trip over there Friday

That all sounds rough, man. I hope you two have a great trip wherever you end up. Cheetah down there looks good. Hope to visit there sometime in the next year or two.

Reactions: VolnJC
What’s their condition and how long have they had it?
Much better now, he seems to think he is over it now but said some days were rough. He's in his 30s and caught it from his dad at a family gathering a couple weeks ago. His dad was unaware he had it at the family gathering, symptoms didn't show until a day or two later. That's when he and the rest of the family got tested and all came back positive. All seemed to have different experience levels with it.

I just bought one of those Mission cooling neck gaiters. Love it. Meets the mask requirement and really makes a difference in keeping you cooler. Looks kinda funny but in extreme heat I pull it up over my ears so just my eyes are uncovered. Breathing is easy. Highly recommend.

Shelby County is shutting down again. All bars forced to close and restaurants to reduce hours. Gyms may be closing as well.

TN reported 2472 new cases yesterday. Beating the previous record high of 1822 from July 3.

NE TN that had been hovering around 25ish active cases has jumped to over 200 in the past 2 weeks. Local hospital says hospitalizations are doubling every week.

But its just the July flu.

Won’t control this virus till we have a vaccine it’s that simple people think this thing will just disappear including our President are going to be disappointed

Won’t control this virus till we have a vaccine it’s that simple people think this thing will just disappear including our President are going to be disappointed

Masks go a long way to slowing it down. A lot of “responsible” adults out there refusing to be responsible.

Just got off the phone with a coworker as I'm covering anything for her that comes up since she is on PTO tomorrow and next week. Said her son (I'm assuming 30s-40s) just got over COVID. She said it was rough - started out as stomach issues, then he got high fever and pneumonia. He was in the hospital for a couple days.

It definitely does get your heart racing a little more when you hear about people you know.

My daughter is a nurse at one of the big Nashville hospitals. They had a section set aside for covid patients, 25 rooms. The last few weeks they've had to add a section as the admissions for covid passed that. That's the patients that require a regular room. She says ICU currently has about 15 covid patients. Luckily my daughter doesn't treat the covid patients directly, she works with cancer patients. Unfortunately there are currently 10 cancer ward nurses positive with covid between the day and night shift, leaving them very short handed. Since the recent surge in covid admissions the nurses are now required to wear face shields in addition to the masks. Scary times.

My daughter is a nurse at one of the big Nashville hospitals. They had a section set aside for covid patients, 25 rooms. The last few weeks they've had to add a section as the admissions for covid passed that. That's the patients that require a regular room. She says ICU currently has about 15 covid patients. Luckily my daughter doesn't treat the covid patients directly, she works with cancer patients. Unfortunately there are currently 10 cancer ward nurses positive with covid between the day and night shift, leaving them very short handed. Since the recent surge in covid admissions the nurses are now required to wear face shields in addition to the masks. Scary times.

My w8fes first cousin is a nurse. She is in her 60s and had it. Rough for a while, but lived. How much damage though?

Best wishes to your daughter. It's real.

I watched the trophy ceremony for the Austrian GP today. It was the first podium finish for the guy who finished 3rd, so he was jacked up despite no crowd and a very toned-down ceremony. Everyone was well distanced although they did have the obligatory champagne magnums. The third place finisher takes a big chug, then bangs the thing on the ground and sprays the other podium finishers and then his pit crew out of the same bottle that he had his mouth all over a couple of seconds before. This is all normal stuff in non-pandemic times, which just goes to show that despite best efforts we're often going to default to high risk behavior.
I can say from a great deal of experience that passing the virus on from this so called “high risk” behavior is extraordinarily unlikely.

COVID unit in my wife’s hospital is now full. They are deferring new patients to other hospitals now.

VN Store

Back