Coronavirus (No politics)

Which is why we're going to see "numbers of infected" go up. Ideally- and so far it seems to be the case- the bad parts will fall.
That’s my thought also. I hadn’t realized that worldmeters severe/critical counter had glitched and was stuck for several days, before jumping from 64 to 700-whatever now. If that were an overnight jump.... that would have been very worrisome, but it’s still worrisome if the bulk of those critical cases are congregated in one region.

Most definitely. The easy way to get people to see this is to have them watch a news story on something within their expertise or realm of experience and pointing out the number of errors and story-changing omissions. There will be many. Then ask why they think any other type of story would be any better.

I had a federal contract program in my city and the news reported on it, and despite having my notes and me on camera giving answers about the program they absolutely butchered it and made things up that I never said. And this was for a relatively meaningless little project.

I was absolutely baffled that some local reporter here would report that story.

Reporters used to be judged based on the finding a story of interest to their subscribers, a very competitive situation. Todays reporters are judged and promoted based on finding stories that align with the publications agenda, non-competitive. The agendas come from a few people at the top who now own, and have weaponized, all the media outlets.

And that has exacy what to do with any of this?
One theory is that areas with dense immigrant populations would have people in them more likely to travel abroad... And in this case, possibly more likely to contract and bring home this illness, if it's as potent as some say.

I am just glad that peoples' attitudes like yours "then" were not responsible for covid-19 blowing up across the country. Oh wait
Excuse me? Once we had more info, I changed my mind. We’ve been isolating for quite a while now.

I’m very glad to know that one of us foresaw everything. Some of us poor slobs caught up with you as soon as we could.

I hope it goes well for you and yours. 1584917528919.gif

One theory is that areas with dense immigrant populations would have people in them more likely to travel abroad... And in this case, possibly more likely to contract and bring home this illness, if it's as potent as some say.

Yeah, all those immigrants from Mexico and Guatemala are taking over the airports. First thing they do after getting across the border is buy round trip airline tickets to China.

Yeah, all those immigrants from Mexico and Guatemala are taking over the airports. First thing they do after getting across the border is buy round trip airline tickets to China.
I'm simply telling you what the theory is, not that I buy it.

Plus you really look like a goober assuming it was referring to Latinos. I guess we don't have Chinese immigrants here populating cities like New York and Atlanta.

Reactions: 508mikey
I'm simply telling you what the theory is, not that I buy it.

Plus you really look like a goober assuming it was referring to Latinos. I guess we don't have Chinese immigrants here populating cities like New York and Atlanta.
And how many of these Chinese immigrants can afford to fly back and forth between the US and China? Especially within the last three months.

It is a virus. Unlike quite a few people, it doesn’t pay attention to the race or ethnicity of whoever it can affect. Nor does it care whether it is spread at a five-star restaurant, a small country diner, a Chinese restaurant, or a taco truck.

To repeat, there are a ton of non-immigrant businesspeople and non-immigrant middle-class and above leisure travelers who served as unwitting vectors for this disease. The almost-instantaneous spread of communicable disease on intercontinental aircraft has been predicted by epidemiologists for over 20 years.

Your not-very-disguised attempts to blame this on “others” doesn’t help control the spread of epidemics, either this one or future.

Last edited:
There should be caution when comparing Covid to 2009 H1N1 with the conclusion that everything will be OK with Covid.

H1N1 lasted for around 400 days from the time its first reported death until it reached around 12,500 deaths in the US out of 60 million infected.
H1N1 had a death rate of about 0.02%.
The hospitals had higher than normal surges from H1N1, but never got overwhelmed worldwide.

Covid is only in its 73rd day since the first reported death in China.
Covid death rate can't be accurately known until it is over. It could end up the same as the yearly flu, or it could end up higher. A much higher death rate would be a real problem if it spreads like H1N1 did and for as long as H1N1 did.
So far, hospitals are being overwhelmed in some other countries by Covid.

We all want this thing to turn out good. All of our lives have been disrupted and devastated in many ways. We all are holding out hope for the best. We all are questioning whether gov decisions have been right or wrong.

But none of us know if it will be mild and if all will turn out OK, or if this is going to be something much more serious. There is not a strong enough set of information yet, and there are still too many unknowns and variables, to determine either conclusion. Just as much as we shouldn't over-hype this thing, likewise we shouldn't under-hype this thing. Because we just don't know yet.

Personally, I appreciate reading the inputs from all perspectives, as it forces more thought about the whole situation.

Sending out prayers for those in devastating circumstances, and hoping that this thing does die out very soon.

WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Desert Storm, 9/11 all happened and somehow football continued on and mattered again. I started the thread to get thinking caps installed as what is likely to occur is a hodgepodge of qualifications for high school graduation to occur. Some state boards may take the bull by the horns and grant a waiver that kids graduate as is where is. Others may leave it up to individual counties or school systems to decide for themselves. They may require students to attend classes May thru August graduating on Labor Day, just all sorts of challenges may be out there for incoming freshman to actually get on campus this year and contribute. That was my hope where the discussion would occur.

The Chinese let the virus run free and wide open for almost a month before responding and ended up with less than 100,000 cases recorded and certainly nothing close to 1 million dead. To suggest the USA will end up with millions of dead is irresponsibie and unecessarily alarming at this point IMO as we responded very early. Now is the time for rationality not hysteria.

Millions dead in the USA is hyperbole at this point, sure. However, I'd take the information the Chinese Communist government tells us regarding coronavirus cases/deaths over there with a grain of salt. Quarry size mountain of salt really.

And how many of these Chinese immigrants can afford to fly back and forth between the US and China? Especially within the last three months.

It is a virus. Unlike quite a few people, it doesn’t pay attention to the race or ethnicity of whoever it can affect. Nor does it care whether it is spread at a five-star restaurant, a small country diner, a Chinese restaurant, or a taco truck.

To repeat, there are a ton of non-immigrant businesspeople and non-immigrant middle-class and above leisure travelers who served as unwitting vectors for this disease. The almost-instantaneous spread of communicable disease on intercontinental aircraft has been predicted by epidemiologists for over 20 years.

Your not-very-disguised attempts to blame this on “others” doesn’t help control the spread of epidemics, either this one or future.
I literally said I don't buy it. I'm telling you what the theory is, and made fun of a guy conflating "immigrants" with Latinos.

Get those panties unwadded, you big baby.

Use of CHLOROQUINE (Old school Malaria drug) has been 100% effective abroad. The FDA & CDC needs to get off the Bureaucracy BS and let the Doctors Use this treatment NOW; without all their "Clinical trials Jargon" ! The drug is safe and effective. No sense in waiting for anything; people are dying! If this were a new experimental drug; I could understand. It has been in use since the 1940's. Relatively NO side effects. I understand this therapy is cheap and Big Pharma doesn't make enough from it as a "New antiviral" they are working on. Hopefully Trump will override their crapola.

BREAKING NEWS! Trump did exactly that, and said Today that this drug will be in force in New York this Tuesday! Problem Solver.

Reactions: 508mikey
I’m curious. Hypothetically speaking. What would be the current state of the world if there was no social distancing, and no restrictions in travel? How bad would things be?

There should be caution when comparing Covid to 2009 H1N1 with the conclusion that everything will be OK with Covid.

H1N1 lasted for around 400 days from the time its first reported death until it reached around 12,500 deaths in the US out of 60 million infected.
H1N1 had a death rate of about 0.02%.
The hospitals had higher than normal surges from H1N1, but never got overwhelmed worldwide.

Covid is only in its 73rd day since the first reported death in China.
Covid death rate can't be accurately known until it is over. It could end up the same as the yearly flu, or it could end up higher. A much higher death rate would be a real problem if it spreads like H1N1 did and for as long as H1N1 did.
So far, hospitals are being overwhelmed in some other countries by Covid.

We all want this thing to turn out good. All of our lives have been disrupted and devastated in many ways. We all are holding out hope for the best. We all are questioning whether gov decisions have been right or wrong.

But none of us know if it will be mild and if all will turn out OK, or if this is going to be something much more serious. There is not a strong enough set of information yet, and there are still too many unknowns and variables, to determine either conclusion. Just as much as we shouldn't over-hype this thing, likewise we shouldn't under-hype this thing. Because we just don't know yet.

Personally, I appreciate reading the inputs from all perspectives, as it forces more thought about the whole situation.

Sending out prayers for those in devastating circumstances, and hoping that this thing does die out very soon.
Question that I haven't found the answer to H1N1 originated here and eventually killed up to 600k globally. How soon did we have a grasp on mortality rates and to what extent did we go to limit the spread here?

The FDA head stood right next to Trump yesterday and said doctors could prescribe it. He said it's an approved drug just not for this use. He said more trials are needed for FDA recommendation for this use but doctors can use it now if they see fit.

The Little Dude form the CDC said "We need more data" Data Hell; give it to sick people and there's your Data. And Trump announced a move on it today. So.

Reactions: AM64 and 508mikey
I’m curious. Hypothetically speaking. What would be the current state of the world if there was no social distancing, and no restrictions in travel? How bad would things be?

I saw this earlier today. Not sure how accurate it is but that could pretty much be said about anything.

Reactions: MAD
Reactions: VolnJC and MAD
It's not bureaucracy, it's safety. Any treatment has the potential to do more harm than good.

Wow. You just won't quit; will you? The Damn drug has been in use for more than 50 years. It has shown to be effective against this Virus. The "Side effects " of the Virus include Lung Fibrosis and DEATH. I checked this drug and Death isn't a side effect. Typical Medical Community. Afraid of their shadow.

Reactions: AM64

VN Store

Back