Coronavirus (No politics)

You are in the medical field too, right?

I'm literally heart-broken hearing about what is happening in so many of my friends' offices come Monday. Practices that have been built with a decade+ of incredible determination are falling apart. Families that will be left without a job. Patients left without much-needed care...

This impact has to be considered.

No, I am in the auto-industry field. I too, am seeing people with no savings without a job for a couple of weeks if not longer.

My uncle who works for Wyndham resorts is seeing people he has worked with for the past 15 years clearing out their cubicles.

Most Tennesseans rely on factories and we’ve looked at numbers and they are not promising.

It’s video chat. I still have a problem with no vitals and like you said lack of assessment. Going to be overprescribing antibiotics honestly. No way for me to know it’s not strep or ear infection. Thankfully I have had several patients come in for labs recently (I have them come in a week before their physical so I have results). I can do those visits fairly easily. Hopefully this is seasonal and dies down with warmer weather.
We are doing everything possible to keep things safe for patients while still remaining available. I think that's our best course, both for our kids and for our staff.

No, I am in the auto-industry field. I too, am seeing people with no savings without a job for a couple of weeks if not longer.

My uncle who works for Wyndham resorts is seeing people he has worked with for the past 15 years clearing out their cubicles.

Most Tennesseans rely on factories and we’ve looked at numbers and they are not promising.
It's terrible. So many of my families work in manufacturing (Denso, Viskase, Kim Clark, Sea Ray/boating, JTEKT, Honda, etc.). I hate this.

Reactions: allvol123
So you see the patient and consult with a hospital like Vanderbilt?
We have a call center that triaged for me. They asked all the questions about travel or exposure on the front end. If they met criteria they were referred to Health Department. So I knew my patients weren’t eligible for testing on the front end.

Reactions: AM64
It's terrible. So many of my families work in manufacturing (Denso, Viskase, Kim Clark, Sea Ray/boating, JTEKT, Honda, etc.). I hate this.

It most definitely is. The Vonore industrial park in general has been laid off besides Carlex and I assume they will be soon. They keep telling us 2 weeks with possible extensions. I fear a massive lay-off if it does. None of us was prepared for it, Jtket isn’t paying the employees during this time. From what I’ve gathered only Denso & Yamaha are.

A little history lesson on H1N1
60 million infections in the US
274k hospital admissions or 23k per month
12k deaths..sadly many were young adults
We will be okay...do the social distancing...if you get stimulus money and don't need it...give it to someone who does
20200322_010236.jpg
20200322_005635.jpg20200322_005616.jpg

Reactions: feathersax
It's so hard for me to put an opinion out there, knowing that so many parents trust me with the health of their kids.

After 48 hours of reflection, hearing from colleagues, studying the numbers, and making some really tough decisions about my office, I'm doubting that our response has been appropriate.

I think that an aggressive targeted effort to isolate at-risk individuals might have been a better approach. Closing access to nursing homes, keeping older folks at home with programs to provide food/meds/etc, limiting mass gatherings without shutting down the economy, preparing hospitals, etc. I'm afraid that the business and financial damage will be far greater than the medical impact, at this point.
This is my belief as well.

If Tennessee does do the shelter in place, what does that mean for going to the grocery store or getting food from a drive-thru?

A little history lesson on H1N1
60 million infections in the US
274k hospital admissions or 23k per month
12k deaths..sadly many were young adults
We will be okay...do the social distancing...if you get stimulus money and don't need it...give it to someone who does
View attachment 267630
View attachment 267631View attachment 267633

That one was terrifying for me. I had friends that got it and got totally wiped out (not dead), but it absolutely crushed young people.

Reactions: VolnJC
It's so hard for me to put an opinion out there, knowing that so many parents trust me with the health of their kids.

After 48 hours of reflection, hearing from colleagues, studying the numbers, and making some really tough decisions about my office, I'm doubting that our response has been appropriate.

I think that an aggressive targeted effort to isolate at-risk individuals might have been a better approach. Closing access to nursing homes, keeping older folks at home with programs to provide food/meds/etc, limiting mass gatherings without shutting down the economy, preparing hospitals, etc. I'm afraid that the business and financial damage will be far greater than the medical impact, at this point.

I understand the point, but I’m not sure how such a plan is implemented. You have a lot of people that are 60+ that still work in government, financial fields, and even in the justice system. We aren’t just talking nursing homes. I guess it would be fine for the restaurants and bars, but there would still be major inefficiencies/problems with a partial quarantine. Even then, people would feel like they would need to be out because others rely on them. Just not sure what the answer is.

Reactions: AM64
Kabota has 2 factories in our area. The one in Jefferson found out yesterday that a sick employee had tested positive, and shut down. I'm sure others there will end up with it because the person had worked with them before they got to sick to work.

Yup. There have been several more cases here in Clarke County too. My office has been telecommuting since 3/16, and while we're supposedly set to return to "normal" on the 30th of March, something tells me that's not in the cards given the shelter-in-place ordinance the county commission passed recently.

Hopefully you and yours are safe and healthy, Joe!

Reactions: joevol33
Just an update on an earlier post. My 8 yr old at risk grandchild is now staying with me full time. I anticipated in late January that this would turn rough in the US so my normal prepper stock of supplies got boosted and we’ve gone in to hunker down and ride it out mode.

Y’all stay safe🙏

Glad I saw this post -- no doubt this method would have been much much better -- you are a very smart Dr

Just an update on an earlier post. My 8 yr old at risk grandchild is now staying with me full time. I anticipated in late January that this would turn rough in the US so my normal prepper stock of supplies got boosted and we’ve gone in to hunker down and ride it out mode.

Y’all stay safe🙏
not to be nosy, but what makes him a risk -- just worried so much about mine and he is 15 mos. and has mild seizures sometimes

Yup. There have been several more cases here in Clarke County too. My office has been telecommuting since 3/16, and while we're supposedly set to return to "normal" on the 30th of March, something tells me that's not in the cards given the shelter-in-place ordinance the county commission passed recently.

Hopefully you and yours are safe and healthy, Joe!
You too, It's rough in Clarke county from what I've read.

VN Store

Back