Coronavirus (No politics)

I'm wondering when (if at all) the SEC and/or NCAA tournaments will be canceled. Even if fans aren't allowed in to the arenas to watch (so presumably they wouldn't travel), the players/coaches/staffs are still interacting with a decent amount of people. And like the NBA, somebody (player, coach, staff member) could potentially already have it.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Tennessee update: testing can be performed by sending specimens to Quest (national lab) without approval of the health department, turnaround 3-4 days. Testing through the state lab is also online but must meet strict guidelines, turnaround 1-2 days.

@kiddiedoc or @bigdaddy, is this thing really that scary as it seems it could be, or is it really being blown out of proportion at bit?
That's a tough question to answer. It appears to be quite aggressive in the elderly population, especially those with certain preexisting health conditions. The vast majority of healthy young adults and children have minor symptoms.

My take is that the risk to most of us is low, that we will certainly see a dramatic increase in cases, and that travel restrictions and cancellation of mass-gatherings are probably a good idea, at this point. Don't take a cruise, don't go to Disney, wash your hands, don't pick your nose or bite your nails.

If China was able to nip this thing, given their population and living conditions, we can handle this and fare quite well.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
That's a tough question to answer. It appears to be quite aggressive in the elderly population, especially those with certain preexisting health conditions. The vast majority of healthy young adults and children have minor symptoms.

My take is that the risk to most of us is low, that we will certainly see a dramatic increase in cases, and that travel restrictions and cancellation of mass-gatherings are probably a good idea, at this point. Don't take a cruise, don't go to Disney, wash your hands, don't pick your nose or bite your nails.

If China was able to nip this thing, given their population and living conditions, we can handle this and fare quite well.

The scary thing is school situation, especially given the flu still going around. Is it possible to get both at the same time?

At my ER, we test for a number of different viruses, as appropriate. We have individual tests for influenza (A or B, as is standard) and RSV, but we have another test that we can run that we call a Respiratory Biofire test that tests for several different viruses (along with influenza and RSV) including the coronavirus strain that has been here in the US for years. We don't run this test on everyone for a number of reasons. Firstly, it costs about $1800 to run it, making it cost prohibitive for many people. Secondly, their symptoms don't warrant running that particular test. Thirdly, any result is not going to change their treatment since most of these viruses HAVE NO TREATMENT, and fourthly, it takes approximately an hour (usually closer to 90 minutes) to run this test.

I do understand the importance of testing, in regards to getting as much data and information about a new strain of a virus that is spreading around the world, but not every single person that has a cough and a sniffle needs to be tested for COVID-19 when they are otherwise healthy and well. It's a waste of time and resources. You're going to have a number of people that are negative for COVID-19, but may have rhinovirus/adenovirus/parainfluenza....none of which matters because the treatment for all of them is the same....symptom management and mitigation. You're also going to have a number of people that test positive for COVID-19 and are relatively asymptomatic, or at most....have to manage their symptoms the same way as if they had one of these other aforementioned viruses.

Wash your hands. Cover your cough. Stay home if you feel bad.

At my ER, we test for a number of different viruses, as appropriate. We have individual tests for influenza (A or B, as is standard) and RSV, but we have another test that we can run that we call a Respiratory Biofire test that tests for several different viruses (along with influenza and RSV) including the coronavirus strain that has been here in the US for years. We don't run this test on everyone for a number of reasons. Firstly, it costs about $1800 to run it, making it cost prohibitive for many people. Secondly, their symptoms don't warrant running that particular test. Thirdly, any result is not going to change their treatment since most of these viruses HAVE NO TREATMENT, and fourthly, it takes approximately an hour (usually closer to 90 minutes) to run this test.

I do understand the importance of testing, in regards to getting as much data and information about a new strain of a virus that is spreading around the world, but not every single person that has a cough and a sniffle needs to be tested for COVID-19 when they are otherwise healthy and well. It's a waste of time and resources. You're going to have a number of people that are negative for COVID-19, but may have rhinovirus/adenovirus/parainfluenza....none of which matters because the treatment for all of them is the same....symptom management and mitigation. You're also going to have a number of people that test positive for COVID-19 and are relatively asymptomatic, or at most....have to manage their symptoms the same way as if they had one of these other aforementioned viruses.

Wash your hands. Cover your cough. Stay home if you feel bad.

If knowing you are positive but only having minor symptoms meant you could self quarantine to help prevent spreading it be a good thing?

Reactions: SmokinBob
If knowing you are positive but only having minor symptoms meant you could self quarantine to help prevent spreading it be a good thing?
If you have minor symptoms, even just a hint of concern that you have something, you should self quarantine, as is, until there is a readily available test specifically for this new coronavirus.

Reactions: VolNExile
How long will it be that testing will be available as much and quickly as the flu?
Who knows? That’s probably a moving target, IMO. Again. If you feel sick, isolate yourself and stay home. Let’s pretend you feel like you have the flu. You shouldn’t be waiting for a positive flu test before you start taking measures to manage your symptoms and the spread of your illness. There are no bonus points for scoring positive on a flu test.

Who knows? That’s probably a moving target, IMO. Again. If you feel sick, isolate yourself and stay home. Let’s pretend you feel like you have the flu. You shouldn’t be waiting for a positive flu test before you start taking measures to manage your symptoms and the spread of your illness. There are no bonus points for scoring positive on a flu test.
The only thing is you can get started on one of the flu meds like tamaflu. I realize it doesn't cure it but can lessen the severity.

The only thing is you can get started on one of the flu meds like tamaflu. I realize it doesn't cure it but can lessen the severity.
Positive effects of Tamiflu are debatable, but it’s not going to make you worse. Might not make you feel better either. Tylenol and Motrin for aches/pains and fever control, along with pounding fluids and staying hydrated are where it’s at for flu symptom management.

If you have minor symptoms, even just a hint of concern that you have something, you should self quarantine, as is, until there is a readily available test specifically for this new coronavirus.

That’s all well and good but I gotta work in the morning and my job has crappy leave policy. I get a point deducted every time I call in. 3 points and I could los my job. I already got one from when I had to stay home with my kid who had a stomach bug. I mean I’m not feeling that bad just some sniffles and a little dry throat. I do work with other people. I just make sure I cough in my elbow I guess.

This is hypothetical. Not my real situation.

I get there is a bit of hysteria. The constant infection ticker on the news could easily be applied to flu season and cause similar concern any given year (or at least encourage people to go get the shot). I also don’t want people flooding the healthcare system for any little sniffle. But I also think major organizations like the NBA and NCAA aren’t making decisions that will cost them millions of dollars without a lot of smart people in the room advising its the smart thing to.

Public schools do shut down for flu. This is the first I’ve heard of Universities doing it but they are really just shuffling to online work for a couple of weeks, one of which was Spring Break. Not like they are ending the semester and handing out A’s.

That’s all well and good but I gotta work in the morning and my job has crappy leave policy. I get a point deducted every time I call in. 3 points and I could los my job. I already got one from when I had to stay home with my kid who had a stomach bug. I mean I’m not feeling that bad just some sniffles and a little dry throat. I do work with other people. I just make sure I cough in my elbow I guess.

I get there is a bit of hysteria. The constant infection ticker on the news could easily be applied to flu season and cause similar concern any given year (or at least encourage people to go get the shot). I also don’t want people flooding the healthcare system for any little sniffle. But I also think major organizations like the NBA and NCAA aren’t making decisions that will cost them millions of dollars without a lot of smart people in the room advising its the smart thing to.

Public schools do shut down for flu. This is the first I’ve heard of Universities doing it but they are really just shuffling to online work for a couple of weeks, one of which was Spring Break. Not like they are ending the semester and handing out A’s.
Don't think for a second that organizations like the NBA and NCAA aren't subject to media frenzy, and there are also legal/liability concerns.

How long will it be that testing will be available as much and quickly as the flu?
A rapid antigen test is probably quite a ways off, still. They are also not as accurate as PCR (meaning, they would miss a lot more cases). Cheap and quick are the advantages.

If this things runs its course and dies out, we might not see a rapid test at all. It would be a big financial gamble for a company to invest in development and production, at this point.

And this is why this virus will continue to spread no matter what is done with any sporting event. Companies don't seem to be offering interim changes to their attendance policies, and it's going to lead to people who are sick with this virus showing up to work and infecting fellow employees.

VN Store

Back