Coronavirus (No politics)

SARS is certainly an unusually-aggressive virus, with a much higher mortality rate. Yes, it did leave long-lasting lung damage in survivors. We certainly hope this virus does not behave in the same manner.

Really? You are aware that SARS is a Coronavirus; Too? And that COV19 is basically a New & Improved type? Wow. Just Wow.

Question that I haven't found the answer to H1N1 originated here and eventually killed up to 600k globally. How soon did we have a grasp on mortality rates and to what extent did we go to limit the spread here?

I don't know the answer to the first question.

I don't recall any special measures that were taken to reduce the spread of H1N1, but could be wrong.

Reactions: VolnJC
This thread went to hell in a hand basket quickly. People can have their political beliefs, express them subtly and not turn this into a political forum. It was nice when you didn’t have to dig through everyone’s political thoughts to get actual information.

BREAKING NEWS! Trump did exactly that, and said Today that this drug will be in force in New York this Tuesday! Problem Solver.
People complaining because Trump wants to try a drug that has shown some promise because it hasn't gone thru years of testing
1) It's already proven safe because first test is not even on affected patients
2) Drs don't need FDA approval to use a drug labeled for another indication. Twenty percent of RXs are off label.
3) We did same thing with other drugs during H1N1 pandemic.
20200322_190604.jpg

This thread went to hell in a hand basket quickly. People can have their political beliefs, express them subtly and not turn this into a political forum. It was nice when you didn’t have to dig through everyone’s political thoughts to get actual information.

Yep. I assume your avatar had the Corona at some point in one of his jungle trips - cured by the yam-yam

Reactions: yoyoyoyo
I noticed the little dude - Dr. Fauci - wasn’t there today either. Perhaps the Pres did not need him pooh-poohing the early use of the malaria drug anymore right now.

Reactions: AM64
People complaining because Trump wants to try a drug that has shown some promise because it hasn't gone thru years of testing
1) It's already proven safe because first test is not even on affected patients
2) Drs don't need FDA approval to use a drug labeled for another indication. Twenty percent of RXs are off label.
3) We did same thing with other drugs during H1N1 pandemic.
View attachment 267748

People are hopeful there is something out there to treat it. I have seen plenty of articles by various media outlets about the potential for this drug to fight COVID.

The problem with Trump is he speaks in absolutes as if this is the cure because his gut tells him so. As President he speaks with authority and could be giving the public false hope (See “this will go away like magic” and “anyone that wants a test can get a test” or “the vaccine is coming very soon”). Then experts like Fauci have to come behind him and throw cold water on it.

I don’t think Trump is being criticized for suggesting it... Lets be real... he was told about it, I highly doubt he was looking into the research and ran across it himself... The criticism is the absolute terms he uses.

I noticed the little dude - Dr. Fauci - wasn’t there today either. Perhaps the Pres did not need him pooh-poohing the early use of the malaria drug anymore right now.
Wouldn't want doctors and experts talking science. Just like last month when this was "no big deal" smh.

Reactions: BenGrimm
Wouldn't want doctors and experts talking science. Just like last month when this was "no big deal" smh.
I’m all for science and experts and all. Being a chemical engineer it would be laughable if I weren’t. And I appreciate Dr. Fauci and pay attention when he’s talking too. Could be he was not present today for some other reason than not being a cheerleader for the early use of the malaria drug.

I’m all for science and experts and all. Being a chemical engineer it would be laughable if I weren’t. And I appreciate Dr. Fauci and pay attention when he’s talking too. Could be he was not present today for some other reason than not being a cheerleader for the early use of the malaria drug.

Word. IMPEDIMENT.

Yep.

He has other stuff to do. I'm sure he'll be back.

This deal impacts everything. Fauci approaches it like an infectious disease expert (as he should). Others consider other facets and it takes cooperation among all the experts to manage the downsides of a single focus. I seriously doubt the "compassionate use" allowance to let individual docs try these treatments was Fauci's idea and likely he would have never advocated it on his own.

Read an editorial in the WSJ today from a doc who is using the treatment and advocating use of it.

Bottomline, I think it's really a best of both worlds situation - Fauci wants to make sure use is documented to learn from it and others want it to be put in use before we have all the data on the indications it may save lives (and ultimately accelerate the learning).

Yep.

He has other stuff to do. I'm sure he'll be back.

This deal impacts everything. Fauci approaches it like an infectious disease expert (as he should). Others consider other facets and it takes cooperation among all the experts to manage the downsides of a single focus. I seriously doubt the "compassionate use" allowance to let individual docs try these treatments was Fauci's idea and likely he would have never advocated it on his own.

Read an editorial in the WSJ today from a doc who is using the treatment and advocating use of it.

Bottomline, I think it's really a best of both worlds situation - Fauci wants to make sure use is documented to learn from it and others want it to be put in use before we have all the data on the indications it may save lives (and ultimately accelerate the learning).
I was just listening to him on Mark Levin’s show. He is a key asset on the team and President Trump knows he needs him. They complement each other.

Millions dead in the USA is hyperbole at this point, sure. However, I'd take the information the Chinese Communist government tells us regarding coronavirus cases/deaths over there with a grain of salt. Quarry size mountain of salt really.
How do you feel about the news from Italy?

That's different. You lucked out. Lol

That I did. I noticed a lot of people were getting the CRUD after doing Yard Work, and developing Bronchitis that either went to Pneumonia or lasted for Months; so I decided it must be airborne and falling as acid rain; since it was repeating the scenario with alarming regularity. I simply searched for the best protection available; the N Or P 95. If you are a sky watcher, you can see some of the chemicals they are spraying ---(Aerosol Geoengineering --CIA Program) MAY Combat Global Warming, but as a side effect--Make us sick.

Reactions: davethevol

Fact-O Business; RIGHT! I told the misses that I expected Trump to find a replacement. Cut the Damn red tape! Trump is a problem solver. Period. (In spite of all the haters) It's hilariously Sad.

Fact-O Business; RIGHT! I told the misses that I expected Trump to find a replacement. Cut the Damn red tape! Trump is a problem solver. Period. (In spite of all the haters) It's hilariously Sad.
I don’t think Dr. Fauci is going anywhere. Trump is not that insecure (although other posters on here would say otherwise) and knows he needs a strong and deep team to see this thing through.

To the best of my knowledge, no steps were taken to combat H1N1 so there is no real comparison in the two. I was a teacher in 2009 as well and most schools in this area were not closed, especially not for three weeks and business as well as travel was not restricted. If this particular virus were allowed to spread without any attempts to control it, then it stands to reason that its transmission and death rates would more than likely be much higher. As it stands now, the death rate in Italy and Spain is nearly 10% with an additional 5k in critical condition. Those statistics are with quarantines in effect and travel restrictions. The death rate in the US isn't nearly as high but there are individual areas in the US that have the potential to be very similar like New York and San Francisco. The US had its largest single day death total today of 114.

I doubt Donald Trump just came up with the name of random drug to fight against the Coronavirus considering it is used to treat Malaria which is nearly unheard of in the climate of the US with the exception of a few areas. I would say it was brought up by several doctors in meetings as a possible treatment and he ran with it.

I don’t think Dr. Fauci is going anywhere. Trump is not that insecure (although other posters on here would say otherwise) and knows he needs a strong and deep team to see this thing through.

You may be right; and Fauci seems qualified, But he plays it by the book; and sometimes in Battle you need a General who can adjust strategy to fit the situation, (Patton comes to mind) without consulting the Manual for Direction. This is a dangerous enemy, and extreme measures are in order. Finally, Trump doesn't abide with Public Rebukes of his Ideas. We shall see; but I expect Fauci to be more behind the scenes going forward.

Reactions: RavinDave
Wow. You just won't quit; will you? The Damn drug has been in use for more than 50 years. It has shown to be effective against this Virus. The "Side effects " of the Virus include Lung Fibrosis and DEATH. I checked this drug and Death isn't a side effect. Typical Medical Community. Afraid of their shadow.
I tell you what, big boy: go back to school, get your license, and start ponying up for your required multi-million dollar malpractice policy before you start preaching at me. I'm in the middle of a $@#* storm right now, and I've done nothing but try to bring as much information and civil discussion to this topic as I can.

Hydroxychloquine and several other therapies are being rapidly investigated, allowed for compassionate use, and pushed for approval at an unprecedented rate. I am, in no way, involved in the trials or their approval, so perhaps your frustration is misplaced?

In addition, the following are known adverse effects of the medication in question. You can Google them and decide for yourself how severe they are.

Serious Reactions
  • agranulocytosis
  • thrombocytopenia
  • aplastic anemia
  • leukopenia
  • seizures
  • angioedema
  • bronchospasm
  • exfoliative dermatitis
  • Stevens-Johnson syndrome
  • drug rxn w/ eosinophilia and systemic sx
  • toxic epidermal necrolysis
  • psoriasis exacerbation
  • porphyria exacerbation
  • retinal damage (high dose or long-term use)
  • retinopathy (high dose or long-term use)
  • macular degeneration (high dose or long-term use)
  • myopathy
  • fulminant hepatic failure
  • cardiomyopathy
  • QT prolongation
  • torsades de pointes
  • suicidality
  • hypoglycemia
Common Reactions
  • dizziness
  • ataxia
  • headache
  • abdominal pain