Coronavirus (No politics)

Are you not dumbfounded by the essentially zero child deaths from this?

I mean there are tons and tons of kids with suppressed immune systems, when you take the whole world into consideration.

What is your take?
I might be wrong but isn't this virus doing almost the exact opposite of H1N1...wasn't it the hardest on the youngest?

I am very surprised. The only explanation I’ve heard is that longer term damage to upper respiratory tract and lungs contributes to the virus infection/spread. Smoking and long term environmental pollution may affect adults but not the youngest children. Definitely a research question that needs examination.

Indeed. I find that stat just astounding.

Reactions: 508mikey
Numbers look very encouraging vs H1N1 when the average infection rate was 5 million per month with 24k hospital admissions. New York has by far the most cases and that still only comes to 0.08% of it's population. 48% of all cases are in NY, 20 states have less than 100 cases, and 30 states have less than 200.

Numbers look very encouraging vs H1N1 when the average infection rate was 5 million per month with 24k hospital admissions. New York has by far the most cases and that still only comes to 0.08% of it's population. 48% of all cases are in NY, 20 states have less than 100 cases, and 30 states have less than 200.
NY also has the most immigrants doesnt it ?

The local news here just ran a story with the headline here that global medical supplies are "dwindling", which I believe is deliberately misleading.

I don't think we're seeing massive worldwide shortages of supplies. Supplies just aren't allocated where areas are hard hit. Production is increasing to meet the demand, so it's not this dire, apocalyptic scenario.

I can promise you that production has not increased to meet demand in my area. Are you personally testing respiratory failure patients or do you just suspect that the information is misleading? Whether it is a supply issue or an issue with distribution is pretty irrelevant when intubating a patient with respiratory failure and suspected Covid.

The local news here just ran a story with the headline here that global medical supplies are "dwindling", which I believe is deliberately misleading.

I don't think we're seeing massive worldwide shortages of supplies. Supplies just aren't allocated where areas are hard hit. Production is increasing to meet the demand, so it's not this dire, apocalyptic scenario.
90% of the news is misleading

Reactions: VolnJC
I can promise you that production has not increased to meet demand in my area. Are you personally testing respiratory failure patients or do you just suspect that the information is misleading? Whether it is a supply issue or an issue with distribution is pretty irrelevant when intubating a patient with respiratory failure and suspected Covid.
Stating definitively that global supply of medical supplies (all medical supplies) are dwindling is a blatant falsehood. There certainly are shortages some places. That's not an indicator of some impending global supply collapse as the local reporter framed it.

We have a good friend that's an ER nurse here and her life hasn't changed at all- and she laughed at the story.

90% of the news is misleading
Most definitely. The easy way to get people to see this is to have them watch a news story on something within their expertise or realm of experience and pointing out the number of errors and story-changing omissions. There will be many. Then ask why they think any other type of story would be any better.

I had a federal contract program in my city and the news reported on it, and despite having my notes and me on camera giving answers about the program they absolutely butchered it and made things up that I never said. And this was for a relatively meaningless little project.

I was absolutely baffled that some local reporter here would report that story.

Reactions: 508mikey
not to be nosy, but what makes him a risk -- just worried so much about mine and he is 15 mos. and has mild seizures sometimes

Highly prone to respiratory issues and hard coughing can re-tear her lung. If the lung tear happens in the same place again they’ve said it would probably require surgical intervention.

New York has businesspeople plus relatively well-off private citizens, both of groups groups do a ton of international travel.

Why on earth do people think that COVID-19 disease rates increase because of immigrants (many of whom can’t afford to travel) and Chinese restaurants??

Reactions: WallyBalls

The simplest answer is probably that NYC has a huge population, and they are often in close proximity to each other. I'd bet when things are all counted and the methods cleaned up that the statistics will show population density is the big factor - with lifestyle as a highly contributory factor.

Stating definitively that global supply of medical supplies (all medical supplies) are dwindling is a blatant falsehood. There certainly are shortages some places. That's not an indicator of some impending global supply collapse as the local reporter framed it.

We have a good friend that's an ER nurse here and her life hasn't changed at all- and she laughed at the story.

I'm glad they have supplies. I am not trying to argue that news has no bias. I am arguing that trying to diminish the potential burden of a lack of medical supplies especially personal protective equipment like masks is very real and is easy to dismiss when you're sitting on the sidelines and not seeing it personally.

The rules about how to use personal protective equipment (masks) are being changed at many hospitals throughout the country in order to allow hospitals to have guidelines that fit the medical supplies they have rather than protect the providers themselves. See the coronavirus tasks force's ask for "creative solutions" to a problem created by poor planning. For everyone I know with skin in the game it's a very big deal and not something to be dismissed because a reporter bungled the execution of a story. I did not see the report and have no doubt that people will make mistakes in reporting as always happens. That's not my issue. I apologize for being heated but this is something that matters to me personally and I want it to be clear that there are many areas using unsafe practices and exposing themselves to extra harm because of poor organizational planning at institutions and on a federal level. To do that, be willing to do that at all, is honorable and not a sacrifice to be disrespected and ignored.

For any potential patient, which is everyone, I promise you that you want to protect the experts at some of the most complex procedures which will be required to treat these patients. When they get sick, others will fill in as they can but losing medical personnel to illness in excess due to a lack of equipment is not a hoax. It is a very real possibility and already occurring to some extent and we are likely nowhere close to the most severe strains on our healthcare system.

To combat the growing spread of the coronavirus, Gov. Bill Lee has issued a statewide order closing all Tennessee bars and limiting restaurants to takeout and delivery services only. The order goes into effect at midnight on Monday, March 23, and lasts through April 6.

The decision comes in the wake of a more restrictive order in Nashville that closed all non-essential businesses and told residents to stay home. The governor’s order also comes two days after Lee said he did not intend to use such drastic tactics and questioned the effectiveness of government mandates. “The COVID-19 pandemic has created both an economic and a health crisis and our response must continue to address both aspects,” Lee said in a statement. “Our goal is to keep the public, especially vulnerable populations, safe while doing everything possible to keep Tennesseans in a financially stable position.”

The order prohibits gatherings of more than 10 people.
Tennessee governor orders restaurants, bars closed except for takeout and delivery
North Carolina did this (bars and restaurants) last Friday; takeout and delivery only. Nursing homes and assisted living, at least locally, went on lockdown two and a half weeks ago. Whenever a new measure goes in, you have to wait at least 15 days before hoping to see a resulting flattening of the curve.

Most definitely. The easy way to get people to see this is to have them watch a news story on something within their expertise or realm of experience and pointing out the number of errors and story-changing omissions. There will be many. Then ask why they think any other type of story would be any better.

I had a federal contract program in my city and the news reported on it, and despite having my notes and me on camera giving answers about the program they absolutely butchered it and made things up that I never said. And this was for a relatively meaningless little project.

I was absolutely baffled that some local reporter here would report that story.

Never talk to the press. Never. They have several problems when it comes to incorrectly reporting stories. Bias - how they want it to end. Often they simply don't understand what you tell them and get it wrong - particularly true in technical areas. Sensationalism - often the truth just doesn't sell. There are more, but those tend to be the biggies.

New York has businesspeople plus relatively well-off private citizens, both of groups groups do a ton of international travel.

Why on earth do people think that COVID-19 disease rates increase because of immigrants (many of whom can’t afford to travel) and Chinese restaurants??

I think you know the answer to that.

Their positives are increasing due mostly to increased testing. The population density doesn’t help, but the more you look for this virus, the more you’re going to find it.
Which is why we're going to see "numbers of infected" go up. Ideally- and so far it seems to be the case- the bad parts will fall.

I'm not sure if they updated some things or changed the way they calculate, but I noticed this stat on the coronavirus tracking page went from 0% serious or critical cases to 5%.

View attachment 267674
Yeah, they finally fixed their data flow on that one. The US figure was stuck at 64 (I think) and 0% for well over a week. Now it’s 795 and 3%:

1584914821944.png

VN Store

Back