Coronavirus (No politics)

Possibly for them but ours coincides with the ending of flu season which affects 31 million Americans a year..so far we have 20k with 64 of those being serious

Flu season goes over 5 months. People have to quit comparing it to the flu. This has come up over 3 weeks, and I don’t know if the numbers are correct or not. Plus, flu has a vaccine. Doctors will tell you it’s different.

I don’t want things being shut down either, but timing is a huge problem with this. Can’t just look at numbers.

Reactions: AM64
Almost 250 "known" cases in Tennessee, 1 death. Don't understand the panic...........or stupidity.
it's a real virus. impacting people's lives.

Flu killed 20-30K last year, with a vaccine. This will unfortunately have similar consequences. Or, as my tea party doctor says 'at most, its another seasonal thing like flu etc'.

WHO says 'wake up, be ready', don't panic.

Wash your hands, use sanitizer, socially distance. We are the carriers. Dont be an ass and be around 60+ or really anyone else.

Health care workers will need our help.

The biggest threat isnt the virus.

Reactions: InVOLuntary
Flu season goes over 5 months. People have to quit comparing it to the flu. This has come up over 3 weeks, and I don’t know if the numbers are correct or not. Plus, flu has a vaccine. Doctors will tell you it’s different.

I don’t want things being shut down either, but timing is a huge problem with this. Can’t just look at numbers.

Not a verified fact.

Reactions: ButchPlz

This virus didn't just show up here 3 weeks ago when it started in China in November. It's been here since December likely.

Reactions: VolnJC
They are not in worse shape than us. Their mortality rate, which is all anyone really cares about, is great.

Yes, it absolutely does mean we shouldnt abandon reason though. Which is what we have done. We are looking at an above average flu season, in terms of death, and have shut the world down over it.

I agree that we shouldn’t abandon reason and read through the article posted to medium several posts ago. It had interesting information and I really liked the break down of the rate of change in new infections which showed that even in places like Italy where certain areas are suffering the mitigation strategies have begun to slow the spread but not the absolute number of increase in daily cases which continue to grow.

I did not agree with the assertion that 1% of cases in the United States are or will be severe. I did not find a reference for this information in the article. I disagree that case fatalities are the only thing of consequence. According to the CDC the current utilization of hospitalization in confirmed United States cases is higher. It is likely an overestimation given the gross lack of testing availability and lack of preparedness by our federal government which has continued in spite of misinformation to the contrary which leads to testing individuals with more severe illness. I do not believe that justifies concluding that only 1% of United States cases will be severe.

I also think that there is other information available on disease modeling and the potential ramifications of unmitigated spread (ie telling friends and family to “live their normal life”) which I will post again here.

I respect everyone here and it is not my intent to belabor a point or diminish the economic impact of these decisions. I do believe that trying to soothe ourselves into believing there is no problem because it is a difficult problem with serious sacrifices has negative consequences. As an aside, the imperial college of London modeling is reportedly the information provided to our federal government that led to some of the restrictions recommended by the Trump admin among others.

If you guys want some audio which gives a more lighthearted but practical take on the coronavirus listen to the bar stool sports pardon my take episode this week where they interview Dr. Anthony Fauci who is a well regarded ID and public health expert on the coronavirus task force.

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/im...-College-COVID19-NPI-modelling-16-03-2020.pdf

Severe Outcomes Among Patients with Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19

Yeah, my bro in Texas calls me an ostrich (keeping my head in the sand). Said I should have seen this coming. He is a prepper.

I only keep about 2 weeks or so provisions on hand. I just call him selfish because he has years worth of goods, masks, hardware, etc.

I am also a prepper, and have close to a year's worth of freeze dried and canned food stored, not to mention ammo, medicine, and water. I also had N95 level masks on hand because I do woodwork, so use varnishes, so always had a need for the masks. But I don't know that I would call being prepared for disasters "selfish". I would certainly not run out today and buy up all the read, toilet paper, and hand sanitizer I could find, but I think it makes sense to slowly build up your supplies of basic needs to keep your family alive and healthy through a long term crisis. I also have a vegetable garden, and although I don't do canning, I have a lady friend who does can, so she cans vegetables for me in exchange for work around the house I do for her.

When I lived on the Florida coast most of the oldtimers I knew were always prepared because they had survived multiple hurricanes and have been through weeks without electricity and bare shelves in stores, so it had gotten me to thinking could I ensure my loved ones' survival with just keeping enough food, medicine, and other basic necessities to get me through a week or two longer than my weekly trips to the grocery? In most cases here in Tennessee, probably yes, although the recent tornadoes here in mid-Tn reminds us we can easily be without power for weeks, and will not be able to easily maintain perishable food. But it is the real catastrophes that we prep for. Same reason we purchase major health insurance plans. We can pay for trips to the doctor for boo boos out of pocket; but it is the catastrophic illness that could break the bank. I take the same approach with providing the basic needs for my loved ones.

Prepping can certainly be expensive when you go to the store and buy 2 of something, knowing you are going to put 1 item away, and possibly never, ever use it, and it also takes a lot of storage space to put back lots of supplies, so it is definitely a decision that has to be weighed, and you have to look at the pros and cons of it, and if you do choose to do it you have to decide how long you think you want to prep for. I laugh at myself sometimes because I originally started off thinking I needed to be able to keep us going for at least a month, but slowly increased my supplies until I ran out of storage room for more. And admittedly at times I have thought is this really necessary?

But the truth is it almost becomes an addiction because you are always thinking do I have enough of this? Enough of that? Oh well.

Can you not even remember the post you made right above mine where you quite literally say "the percentages of...".

Yeesh, senility must really blow, Joe Biden.
No need for this tone of comments at a time like this. Try to pull together and encourage each other than fighting about trivial non-important opinions about this pct or this number.

No need for this tone of comments at a time like this. Try to pull together and encourage each other than fighting about trivial non-important opinions about this pct or this number.
It's easy to say these kinds of things if you completely disregard the impact that spreading misinformation has.

VN Store

Back