Coronavirus (No politics)

Not backing what he said, but where is the concern over the now 40,000 plus in the US that have died this flu season? That my friends is a pandemic

We define them based off the potential for harm to come, not based off current cases. If we waited until the cases blew out of proportion, then there would be no point in return and we will have decimated our hospital system. The numbers are going to rise significantly in the coming days to weeks. Being proactive is part of the proper steps to handle this.

People need to realize that unlike cancer and heart disease, an acute infection such as this that can spread rapidly to the entire population and can cripple a healthcare system in which not everyone can be possibly treated. If hospitals are overburdened with patients within a short time frame, not every patient is going to receive adequate care. We are simply trying to prevent a situation in which physicians have to choose between saving one patient over another because of a lack of resources. We know what has happened to Italy. We would be foolish to believe that won’t happen to us if we don’t act proactively.

Tennessee State Supportive services are about to shift to online and phone only. You can expect not to be able to walk into an office for unemployment, SNAP, TANF, or various education grants for at least a few weeks. You'll either have to do that stuff online or over the phone. A lot of stuff is still in the air but you can expect your local career centers and DHS/DCS offices to be closed to foot traffic tomorrow. If they aren't already.

Not sure I buy this totally but steroids and NSAIDs can affect the immune system..the problem is that APAP is ineffective for higher temps and ASA isn't a good option for patients with stomach issues it has more COX1 blocking action than other OTCs which isn't good for elderly patients like in Italy

Bet the pizza delivery places are going to do a killer business

My business is a local food delivery company and we have added the option of “zero contact” for our customers. Drivers would only have to drop off the food at the door and ring the doorbell.

We’ve seen a spike in the last few days.

My business is a local food delivery company and we have added the option of “zero contact” for our customers. Drivers would only have to drop off the food at the door and ring the doorbell.

You are gonna have a very nice spring and summer.

Not backing what he said, but where is the concern over the now 40,000 plus in the US that have died this flu season? That my friends is a pandemic
Sorry, thought the discussion was coronavirus. I don't have an answer for that. Perhaps if flu comes up as a topic for a thread I might have something.

🤦‍♂️ We have gone over the Flu ad nauseam.

You are getting hung up on the mortality but ignoring how unprepared our hospitals are for a rapid influx of patients. The same influx other countries are experiencing as we speak. If you think the Great American Health Care system is prepared then you are fooling yourself. We do not have enough ICU beds or ventilators for the people that will need them. All these precautions are about reducing the burden on the healthcare system.

And yes, it’s still flu season. Those people will need care and could very well find their bed taken by a COVID patient.

Please stop mentioning the flu. It’s not as comparable as you think it is.

Do you deliver in Texas?

🤦‍♂️ We have gone over the Flu ad nauseam.

You are getting hung up on the mortality but ignoring how unprepared our hospitals are for a rapid influx of patients. The same influx other countries are experiencing as we speak. If you think the Great American Health Care system is prepared then you are fooling yourself. We do not have enough ICU beds or ventilators for the people that will need them. All these precautions are about reducing the burden on the healthcare system.

And yes, it’s still flu season. Those people will need care and could very well find their bed taken by a COVID patient.

Please stop mentioning the flu. It’s not as comparable as you think it is.

Probably right as deadly as it is.

because celebrities are so obsessed with the spotlight, that posting on twitter a video of them saying they have corona will get the entire world talking about them and concerned about them. It's too good of publicity and a social media dopamine hit for them to resist.

Such a jaded view. On the other hand, perhaps some are announcing it bc a lot of ppl didn’t take it seriously and they have a platform to get the word out to a large number of people.

Reactions: TC 83
I live in the tri cities area. My good buddy's GF is really sick, went to get tested for Coronavirus. She is a middle school teacher. She was told she cannot get tested because she hasnt recently left the country and she hasnt been around someone who has the virus. How in the hell do they know she hasnt been around someone who has it?
Did they swab her for flu or strep? That should be the first step before going straight to a coronavirus test.

Just curious but....As of Monday, the number of cases in Italy was 31,506 with the number of deaths at 2,503. Unless there is something wrong with my calculator, that is a death rate of 7.944519 percent. Why such a high rate in Italy, more old folks??? :cool:

Yes but tests are not readily available yet. People with minor symptoms who have no knowledge of direct exposure are going to have to wait for a bit.
That's no longer the case. We sent 5 tests today, symptoms of fever and cough without other identifiable source. None had history of travel to high-risk areas or known exposure.

As the testing has just really become accessible to the masses this week, I would expect to see a huge ballooning (probably exponential) in the number of cases by week end.

VN Store

Back