Coronavirus (No politics)

From the front lines:

The world of medicine in the US has literally been flipped on its head in the span of 48-72 hours. The story in Europe is VERY concerning, as are early numbers here. My friends in surgery and anesthesia tell how hospitals are preparing for what is almost certain to come. New guidelines for patient care make my office look unrecognizable from last week. We've now sent our first tests, which are readily available. People are stressed, anxious, and worried.

I know that everyone has their own opinions, most seemingly in one extreme or the other. Please know that the burden on our healthcare system and economy is, or is about to be HUGE.

I really believe the best courses of action right now are to stay home when possible, avoid crowds, maintain good hygiene, be understanding and respectful of others and of the guidance from healthcare providers/authorities, and use good common sense.

There's no conspiracy. This is not biowarfare. The virus doesn't draw party lines. Protect your neighbors and especially our elderly and frail population. Band together, and we will get through this.

But Doc,
Some on this board will be quick to point out that there have only been a handful of deaths in the US, and flu kills way more every year. You are clearly in on some kind of trick to purposefully tank the economy with all your doomsday talk.
*that last sentence should all be in blue font

I mean, come on y’all - can you who belittle this as a media hoax not see that some really smart, dedicated professionals are telling us all to hold on tight, this is gonna get rocky? That’s not a politically biased conspiracy driven message. I’m hearing this from some good friends of mine who are doctors, two of whom are as extreme opposite on the political spectrum and would never agree on anything. Both have passed along to me words of caution in tones I’m not used to hearing from them.

This ain’t going to be zombies or an alien invasion, but it’s going to be a rough patch that will require all of us rowing in the same direction. And yes, it will require sacrifice even when it is not directly beneficial to you (not you doc, I’m on my soapbox). If we’ve gotten to the point in America where folks would rather clutch hard to their piece of the pie and say “I’m doing for me, the rest of y’all are on your own,” with no sense of extended empathy for people in their Larger community, city, state, or region , well then hell - maybe we do need a big ol thumb on the universal reset button.

Some of the selfishness and nearsightedness I’ve heard in the last week makes me wonder if we’re not just due for a biblical level purge after all.

1) Learn the lessons of Asia...their successes and failures...the numbers appear to have peaked there
2) Very low number of cases in South Hemisphere (under 1000) show that transmission is harder in higher heat humidity......there is also a study in NH suggesting this to be the case
3) Limit trips and practice good hygiene 20200316_233423.jpg

Bet the pizza delivery places are going to do a killer business

FYI, Pizza Hut will drop your order off on the porch and leave if you order and pay online and add it to the additional instructions.

On another note, one outrage I think people are overlooking is how many wealthy/famous people are announcing they have tested positive with no symptoms or minor symptoms while the peons are having to fight over getting tested.

FYI, Pizza Hut will drop your order off on the porch and leave if you order and pay online and add it to the additional instructions.

One outrage I think people are overlooking is how many wealthy/famous people are announcing they have tested positive with no symptoms or minor symptoms while the peons are having to fight over getting tested.
Why are these wealthy/famous people even announcing that they have the coronavirus in the first place?

Hey, I'm gonna give you to the count of ten, to get you ugly, yella, no-good keister off my property, before I pump your guts full of lead!

keep the change ya filthy animal

I live in the tri cities area. My good buddy's GF is really sick, went to get tested for Coronavirus. She is a middle school teacher. She was told she cannot get tested because she hasnt recently left the country and she hasnt been around someone who has the virus. How in the hell do they know she hasnt been around someone who has it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: JCP201
I live in the tri cities area. My good buddy's GF is really sick, went to get tested for Coronavirus. She is a middle school teacher. She was told she cannot get tested because she hasnt recently left the country and she hasnt been around someone who has the virus. How in the hell do they know she hasnt been around someone who has it?

No, we are trying to keep from running out of testing kits, mainly because the panic is causing people to become hypochondriacs and think they have the virus. There are plenty of people with the flu, ear infections, colds, allergies (myself), bacterial/viral pneumonia, and other things that aren't the virus itself, and testing everyone with similar symptoms as the virus isn't going to stop the spread, but it will severely limit resources during a time of severe panic.

Last edited by a moderator:
The testing recommendations have changed in the last day or two, and it should now be possible to get tested at any location that keeps viral transport media. It is a send-out test, and a rapid in-office test is still probably a long ways away (if ever developed, at all).

I predict you will see a huge jump in the number of cases in the coming week(s) as widespread testing has come on-line.

Reminder: NO politics here. If you want to wallow in the mud, head to the Politics forum.

Last edited:
Unless your friend needs to be hospitalized, why does she need the test? There’s not much doctors can do at this point. And if she does has it and is out and about she’s just spreading it.

Have her check back today. As a teacher, she now falls into a "high-risk group," and her test can be run at the state lab, with a more rapid result. She may have been given bad info or gone to a practice not yet up to speed.

Screenshot_20200317-075850~2.png

On another note, one outrage I think people are overlooking is how many wealthy/famous people are announcing they have tested positive with no symptoms or minor symptoms while the peons are having to fight over getting tested.
Are you feeling better?

No I don’t but in a general sense deadly pandemics don’t go unnoticed in populations. In other words, it is implausible to believe that a deadly virus could infect a population for months without leading to hundreds/thousands of deaths. It is very likely that China has been lying the entire time and it is much deadlier than originally thought.

China for the most part is still a closed society. We don't see what they don't want us to see.

What is the rationality of people dying without concern? Where is the rationale in watching people die without emotion? This isn't war, Hog, not yet anyway. I can see how you comment could apply to war from a personal perspective.

Not backing what he said, but where is the concern over the now 40,000 plus in the US that have died this flu season? That my friends is a pandemic

Reactions: Power T-Rev
Have her check back today. As a teacher, she now falls into a "high-risk group," and her test can be run at the state lab, with a more rapid result. She may have been given bad info or gone to a practice not yet up to speed.

View attachment 266826
I would love to see the State of NC put together something similar and disperse it throughout the state.

Not backing what he said, but where is the concern over the now 40,000 plus in the US that have died this flu season? That my friends is a pandemic

Number of deaths per year in the US:

Heart disease: 647,457
Cancer: 599,108
Accidents (unintentional injuries): 169,936
Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 160,201
Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 146,383
Alzheimer’s disease: 121,404
Diabetes: 83,564
Influenza and pneumonia: 55,672
Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 50,633
Intentional self-harm (suicide): 47,173

Death is a part of society and a part of life, as can be seen above. Some of these deaths are self-imposed (diet, lifestyle, etc) and others are no fault of our own. Although each individual death causes extreme grief and sorrow for loved ones, we have all grown accustomed to the "normal" causes of death in society.

What society considers "normal" is usually that which does not disrupt society as a whole. Many people die of the flu, but flu deaths are spread out over time and don't overwhelm hospital systems. Wrong or right, society considers this as normal.

The coronavirus has shown a complication rate high enough to be able to overwhelm hospitals with critically ill patients, and thus have a very large impact on society by hindering others from having hospital care for other reasons, and potentially putting hospitals down for many months due to sickness of hospital staff. This hospital issue did not happen with SARS, Ebola, or H1N1 due their different infection characteristics. Thus Coronavirus is being considered as an event that is out of the societal norm, and is thus being treated with more seriousness.

Agree or disagree, wrong or right, this is one of the reasons why events are unfolding as they are.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back