Coronavirus (No politics)

I'm a state employee in a customer facing office. I can't work from home. Most of my compatriots can though. It's gonna be the frickin wild west at the job center for the next month.
Gov. Lee issues guidance for gatherings, schools, employees amid coronavirus pandemic
Is there anything you can do to protect yourself AND the people who come to you? Frequent Lysol wipes of key boards, partial window/ sneeze-guard between you and customers, etc.? If you can’t put up a sneeze-guard/ barrier, is there any way to set up a six-foot distance between you?

At a minimum, find some Clorox or Lysol wipes to use on your hands between visits.

I‘d say don’t touch your face, but that is so hard to do. My spring allergies are in full bloom, so my nose and eyes itch endlessly.

Is there anything you can do to protect yourself AND the people who come to you? Frequent Lysol wipes of key boards, partial window/ sneeze-guard between you and customers, etc.? If you can’t put up a sneeze-guard/ barrier, is there any way to set up a six-foot distance between you?

At a minimum, find some Clorox or Lysol wipes to use on your hands between visits.

I‘d say don’t touch your face, but that is so hard to do. My spring allergies are in full bloom, so my nose and eyes itch endlessly.
I manage a grant. I'm constantly in my cube with participants and folks coming in for initial assessments. We'll disinfect the computer lab. We do that anyway. But I have to be within 3 feet of people. I'm gonna start shopping for a hazmat suit.

Reactions: VolNExile
I manage a grant. I'm constantly in my cube with participants and folks coming in for initial assessments. We'll disinfect the computer lab. We do that anyway. But I have to be within 3 feet of people. I'm gonna start shopping for a hazmat suit.

Nk23fuQ.jpg

Push the chairs back as far as you can (you’re shooting for 6 feet/ 2 meters). Set up one of those columnar floor fans with the flow pointing at least away from you, or better, away from both of you. Greet everyone with a cheerful “Ebola handshake” (elbow bump), explain why you’re doing it, and tell them that you are trying to look out for their health as well as your own. Offer Purell or a Lysol/Clorox wipe before and after your meeting. And then get on with your business.

General diatribe here: I have no idea why businesses and governments are reacting like frightened mules to the need to change social interactions a bit. Seriously, do they think they’ll lose business because you won’t shake a potential customer’s hand? Geeze.

I’m finding that most people have no real idea how to react to this, because it’s so new. I just cheerfully tell people that I’m high risk for complications (65 + asthma), and that I don’t want to infect them, and I don’t want them to infect me. I get some surprised reactions at first, and then everyone has been universally positive.

So if I get to be the Miss Manners for this new adventure in my neck of the woods, I’m fine with that. /diatribe

Props to you JC Steve for serving your fellow citizens! Honestly, there are a lot of folks out there who would like to adapt to current circumstances but have no idea what to do. We government employees catch a lot of s**t from people, until they need us. Stay safe, and keep cooking. I depend on your food posts!

Push the chairs back as far as you can (you’re shooting for 6 feet/ 2 meters). Set up one of those columnar floor fans with the flow pointing at least away from you, or better, away from both of you. Greet everyone with a cheerful “Ebola handshake” (elbow bump), explain why you’re doing it, and tell them that you are trying to look out for their health as well as your own. Offer Purell or a Lysol/Clorox wipe before and after your meeting. And then get on with your business.

General diatribe here: I have no idea why businesses and governments are reacting like frightened mules to the need to change social interactions a bit. Seriously, do they think they’ll lose business because you won’t shake a potential customer’s hand? Geeze.

I’m finding that most people have no real idea how to react to this, because it’s so new. I just cheerfully tell people that I’m high risk for complications (65 + asthma), and that I don’t want to infect them, and I don’t want them to infect me. I get some surprised reactions at first, and then everyone has been universally positive.

So if I get to be the Miss Manners for this new adventure in my neck of the woods, I’m fine with that. /diatribe

Props to you JC Steve for serving your fellow citizens! Honestly, there are a lot of us out there who would like to adapt to current circumstances but have no idea what to do. We government employees catch a lot of s**t from people, until they need us. Stay safe, and keep cooking. I depend on your food posts!
Good advice. My cube is small unfortunately, no room to move chairs. But I'll start doing the rest. I already scrub my cube and use sanitizer. I just need to ramp up to doing it more. I hadn't thought about the fan thing. I'll probably start using the training room for meetings when I can. It'll be open more since so many other people won't be in the office for a while. That's about all I can do. I'm going to be seeing even more walk ins now. So here's hoping the number of cases in the area stays low. I'm gonna start pursuing managment for a laptop and portable scanner so I can work from home. Not holding my breath on that last part. I'm my head I know it'll be fine. But my lizard brain is not happy this evening. Thankfully I'm not in a high risk group. My and Mrs HateSteve's parents sure are though.

Reactions: VolNExile
Good advice. My cube is small unfortunately, no room to move chairs. But I'll start doing the rest. I already scrub my cube and use sanitizer. I just need to ramp up to doing it more. I hadn't thought about the fan thing. I'll probably start using the training room for meetings when I can. It'll be open more since so many other people won't be in the office for a while. That's about all I can do. I'm going to be seeing even more walk ins now. So here's hoping the number of cases in the area stays low. I'm gonna start pursuing managment for a laptop and portable scanner so I can work from home. Not holding my breath on that last part. I'm my head I know it'll be fine. But my lizard brain is not happy this evening. Thankfully I'm not in a high risk group. My and Mrs HateSteve's parents sure are though.
That last bit is one of the hardest things to deal with. Who wants to be a vector? Anyone of us who gets exposed and goes out into the community and home to our family becomes the equivalent of a mosquito spreading Zika virus.

My older daughter is a primary care provider in a rural western North Carolina mountain town, and the for-profit chain that bought out her nonprofit healthcare service last year has decided that the providers in her clinic and therefore the patients that they serve are not high enough on the risk scale (aka, don’t generate enough revenue - sorry, that’s just me) to provide adequate protective gear to. Not enough masks, etc. So on top of everything else, she now gets to worry about being infected by a patient - and maybe she won’t be badly symptomatic, but will still be contagious - and then spread it to her husband and young child, and then to me and my husband who babysit her child, and who are both in the high-risk group for severe complications. And actually, she has a pretty severe level of asthma that moves her into the high-risk group despite her age, so there you are. She also is at risk for complications and death.

So I keep coming back to the idea that, in the absence of clear and coherent guidance from those we pay to do this, it’s up to us as individuals to model sensible behavior and encourage others to do the same.

Again, stay safe, especially in the setting of your family!

Reactions: JCHateSteve

I can confirm this as fact.....since I retired I don't get out as much but this evening I accompanied my wife to Wally world....I can't explain or understand the overwhelming need that I felt to buy 3 months of toilet paper....go figure.:p

Reactions: StarRaider
So what are the unintended consequences to the mental health of millions of American men. I wonder if anyone in a decision making role for any of these organizations considered that for even a second. There are a lot of people who are absolutely obsessed with sports. That's all they do is follow sports as it pertains to extracurricular activities or hobbies.

150,000 people die worldwide everyday. Do people know that? If you are genuinely scared of this virus, how do you get in a car?

Last edited:
7000 people contract HIV daily. Again, people do not understand how many people there are, how many of them die, the types of things they die of. It's sad because these things are tracked and estimated in great detail and are readily available for the most part with a google search.

3000+ people die daily in car accidents.
2000+ people commit suicide every day.
Around 1000 die daily from the flu, malaria kills about the same.
in 2009 an estimated 203,000 people died from just from H1N1.

Why are we not asking people to show their work mathematically when they suggest and implement such extreme measures? Pandemic is a very vague term and it seems that it could be applied more appropriately towards other diseases. Crisis is even more broad and there are a lot of them that are more serious, deadly, and lasting.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back