The Ultimate Cord Cutting Guide (merged)

Right. I made the hardware 'investment' early since we had A-Prime into fire tv 'sets' (not sticks) and have gone through PSVue and am now with DirectTV Now. It's easy enough to switch from the top tier plan back down to the lower tier once football season is over and I don't need the SEC Network etc... With these price hikes, however, I'm starting to consider reinvesting in Roku's. The interface is much better and none of the BS Amazon vs Google nonsense.
Price hikes arent bugging me that much honestly, but thats just me. I have been overwhelmingly happy with DTVNow. We have fire tv and apple tvs in our home (6 different tvs) and I dont really plan on switching hardware unless I have to. Plus with the part that Kodi brings through the fire tvs, its worth sticking with the platform IMO.

Right. I made the hardware 'investment' early since we had A-Prime into fire tv 'sets' (not sticks) and have gone through PSVue and am now with DirectTV Now. It's easy enough to switch from the top tier plan back down to the lower tier once football season is over and I don't need the SEC Network etc... With these price hikes, however, I'm starting to consider reinvesting in Roku's. The interface is much better and none of the BS Amazon vs Google nonsense.
What did you not like about PS Vue?

Price hikes arent bugging me that much honestly, but thats just me. I have been overwhelmingly happy with DTVNow. We have fire tv and apple tvs in our home (6 different tvs) and I dont really plan on switching hardware unless I have to. Plus with the part that Kodi brings through the fire tvs, its worth sticking with the platform IMO.

I fooled with Kodi for a long time, it got to be too much trouble trying to keep it updated. I did use real-debrid for a while with limited success. Between Prime and netflix I just don't want to mess with it anymore. Have you sideloaded Mobdro onto the firetv? The fam uses that to watch whatever they want.

I fooled with Kodi for a long time, it got to be too much trouble trying to keep it updated. I did use real-debrid for a while with limited success. Between Prime and netflix I just don't want to mess with it anymore. Have you sideloaded Mobdro onto the firetv? The fam uses that to watch whatever they want.
Nah, I havent done anything like that. I simply have a build on there that auto updates the build so I dont have to mess with it. Primarily only use it for movies.

Nah, I havent done anything like that. I simply have a build on there that auto updates the build so I dont have to mess with it. Primarily only use it for movies.

Mobdro is worth the effort IMO. It auto updates as well.

Honestly, if it's all I had - it'd be plenty.

Another digital platform is biting the dust.

Link: Ultraviolet is shutting down!

"
ULTRAVIOLET WILL CLOSE ON JULY 31, 2019

What should you do now?
  • Login here and choose Retailer Services to verify the retailers linked to your UltraViolet Library. If your Library is not currently linked to a retailer or if you would like to link to additional participating retailers, select one or more retailers to link to your UltraViolet Library.
  • Don’t unlink or close your UltraViolet Library, as UltraViolet and retailers will be working together to maximize your continued access to movies and TV shows.

Between January 31 and July 31, 2019:
  • You can continue to access your UltraViolet movies and TV shows through the retailer(s) linked to your UltraViolet Library.
  • You can also continue to purchase new movies and TV shows and redeem digital codes by following the redemption instructions. Depending on the retailer, these new purchases and redemptions may or may not be added to your UltraViolet Library.
  • Linking your UltraViolet Library to additional retailers can maximize your access to your Library and help avoid potential disruption.

After the shutdown date:
  • Your UltraViolet Library will automatically close and, in the majority of cases, your movies and TV shows will remain accessible at previously-linked retailers.
  • You can continue to make online purchases and redeem codes, but these may only be available through that retailer, and will not be added to your UltraViolet Library.

Thank you for making UltraViolet part of how you enjoy digital entertainment. See Help for more information."

Had PS Vue for about 1.5 years. Primarily use Roku Ultra, but also have Roku Stick, Fire Stick, and Xbox One. Decided I'd had enough with 2-3 price hikes in the time I had my subscription without really any advancement in the channel lineup. Tried a friend's YouTube TV account and I liked it. Switched to YouTube TV a couple of months ago and haven't looked back. I might have a few less channels than I did with Vue, but I don't miss them and I'm happy to be paying $10 less per month. The user interface and guide on YouTube TV is also better than Vue, although I liked Vue's as well.

Also have subscriptions to Netflix, Prime, and Hulu w/o commercials. Used to watch a lot of Netflix and Prime, but we've found we watch Hulu a good bit more than the others these days. All in all, haven't missed cable much in the near 2 years we've been without it.

Last edited:
Had PS Vue for about 1.5 years. Primarily use Roku Ultra, but also have Roku Stick, Fire Stick, and Xbox One. Decided I'd had enough with 2-3 price hikes in the time I had my subscription without really any advancement in the channel lineup. Tried a friend's YouTube TV account and I liked it. Switched to YouTube TV a couple of months ago and haven't looked back. I might have a few less channels than I did with Vue, but I don't miss them and I'm happy to be paying $10 less per month. The user interface and guide on YouTube TV is also better than Vue, although I liked Vue's as well.

Also have subscriptions to Netflix, Prime, and Hulu w/o commercials. Used to watch a lot of Netflix and Prime, but we've found we watch Hulu a good bit more than the others these days. All in all, haven't missed cable much in the near 2 years we've been without it.
Hulu has live TV as well. If I go back to streaming, it'll be between Hulu and Youtube

I'd love to try out YTTV but I have a house full of Fire TV's - I know there are workarounds to sideload the YTTV app but I question the reliability.

Same thing with DirecTV Now. No big deal to use ESPN, but wish I didn't have to jump through hoops.

It's easy enough to change plans on the fly, during football season I had the $55 "just right" package with SEC network and drop it down to the $40 "live a little" after season.

There are a couple of streamers on twitch that stream the Vols on ESPN 3 and SEC network that is full HD. It takes a little more effort but its satisfying to back door into a broadcast.

So YouTube TV is bumping their price by $10 per month to $49.99 inline with the PS Vue core plan.

Anyone else thinking of changing with this latest price bump? Vue has NFL Network, so.... :)

I'm also thinking it might be a good time to test out any other worthy suitors.

So YouTube TV is bumping their price by $10 per month to $49.99 inline with the PS Vue core plan.

Anyone else thinking of changing with this latest price bump?

I would but to where? They are all raising prices. Its a load of crap, because they are adding more channels. The reason I got youtubetv is because I didn't want a bunch of crappy channels. Wish you could opt out if you wanted to keep it at $40

Yah. The streaming options are raising their rates to the point that, once you pay for internet and then streaming TV, you're about as expensive as it was to have a cable package. But at least I can watch whatever I want on unlimited phone data wherever I am, if I want.

We ditched cable TV in 2014 and do not have any streaming services. We do not miss it. We have internet only. No big deal. We have found other things to occupy our lives that are better for our family than sitting in front of a screen.

Probably not the reply you were looking for...
How do you watch Vols games?

I would but to where? They are all raising prices. Its a load of crap, because they are adding more channels. The reason I got youtubetv is because I didn't want a bunch of crappy channels. Wish you could opt out if you wanted to keep it at $40
I'm in the same boat. I was fine with what I had for $39.99. I don't care about Discovery or whatever they added. I was hoping they would allow grandfathered plans, but no nice.

At the $49.99 price point, I'm wondering now if PS Vue is the move.

Reactions: joevol33

VN Store

Back