Controversial Referee Suspended

If this guy regulary officiated LSU games, there is no telling how much money he made for himself and his friends by shafting LSU opponents. I'm STILL mad about it!!

Seems like we lead the nation in corrective measures taken AFTER we have gotten jobbed (I'm looking at YOU, Music City Bowl).

Yup. As others have said, the Music City Bowl rule, etc.

The one I just love the most is the Gafney Rule. Apparently, it occurred to someone after we got screwed that possession in the end zone can not be defined as any touching of the football, however slight, and regardless of duration.

That play still P&&e$ me off 19 years later.

Probably suspended with pay until next season. They'll simply wait until the controversy dies down and make sure he doesn't do UT or LSU games again. He'll be back. It's the NCAA way.

LSU knows the penalty will be no worse if they let Smart play.Either way they will get slammed, if the proof is shown to be factual!!
yup and sitting the kid would be basically admitting wrongdoing. Might as well let them play it out the punishment wont' get worse if he plays. Imho at this point benching him only hurts the kids

As far as i'm concerned whether the kid or his family took money I dont care. Any kid in that position that turns down the money is silly. I'm tired of seeing kids get boned by a messed up system. The NCAA does not care about these kids because for everyone they bone there are 1000 more in line for their spot. Its really sick. The real question is why do coaches and schools have to do this crap? And lets be real to some extent ALL colleges playing at a competitive level, do it every day. ALL of them. No matter how clean a coach is in every program there is a bag man somewhere whether coach is directly involved or not.

Legalize it and bring it to the light same as with the whacky tabaccy. As long as you keep it in the dark. for context read up on the prohibition act of 1919. If you make something people in general want illegal it only causes problems.

Knowingly playing an ineligible player would definitely worsen penalties.
But they can now say they did their due diligence in investigating him, and since the NCAA was part of those discussions, they won't be hit with lack of institutional control by letting him play.

My guess... LSU is doing this dark stuff in basketball in order to keep the focus off Ed Orgeron's really dark antics...

I agree we seem snakebit the last 15 years, North Carolina football game that the NCAA changes the rule after we lose, referee wearing LSU jersey and making a call that most refs let go with 2 seconds left, Tennessee Lady Vol basketball program going from one of the best in the country to this sham of a program, A great storied football program that gets turned down by around a dozen coaches the last 4 coaching changes, Pig's fumble when we had Georgia beat. Until this year, and league games just start this weekend, we haven't been real good at baseball since around the Helton era.The softball program is top notch but we can't ever win the really big game. That being saidI'm still a VOL FOR LIFE, AND NEXT YEAR WILL BE OUR YEAR OR MAYBE THE NEXT YEAR OR THE NEXT!
As long as when you say “NEXT YEAR” you really mean this year.

I would imagine the ref has due process coming before he gets fired and banned. So suspending him prevents further cheating until that can play out. Imagine if he had reffed the LSU game yesterday, he would surely have beaten Florida.

I wonder what the screening process is for the SEC when hiring refs?

There is a big opportunity for conflict of interest to happen when dealing with sports. Even if you hooked the guy up to a lie detector and it showed he called it straight up, it’s just a bad idea to have a fan of a team calling their games.

In the hiring process the SEC saw he was from the LSU area and thought it would be a good idea to let him ref some of their games so that while he was in town he could catch up with family and friends.

I wonder what the screening process is for the SEC when hiring refs?

There is a big opportunity for conflict of interest to happen when dealing with sports. Even if you hooked the guy up to a lie detector and it showed he called it straight up, it’s just a bad idea to have a fan of a team calling their games.

In the hiring process the SEC saw he was from the LSU area and thought it would be a good idea to let him ref some of their games so that while he was in town he could catch up with family and friends.
Odds are they have a list of eligible NCAA refs for the region and choose based on availability. They have guidelines on refs working on a game for a team they support or a school they attended but apparently don’t dig too deep and take people at their words.

Probably suspended with pay until next season. They'll simply wait until the controversy dies down and make sure he doesn't do UT or LSU games again. He'll be back. It's the NCAA way.

Unless he has a contract guaranteeing him more games he won't get paid. SEC refs aren't employees, they're independent contractors. IMO, that's a big reason why officiating has been so ****ty. The SEC/NCAA should redirect some of that money that ends up in coaches' and administrators' bank accounts and invest it in a better officiating program. Every game should be thoroughly graded and unusual patterns should be investigated. They should be held accountable for any possible bias. It's ridiculous that this clown ref can simply switch to a different conference.

NCAA is so scared of the players now. They know theyre one lawsuit away from the entire thing coming crashing down.
Yup. Said it in another thread. Evidently Smart met with LSU and the AA and was cleared to play. So my guess is he is denying everything and they don’t have anything concrete to pin on him. So let him play and avoid a lawsuit

VN Store

Back