Congrats!! And a few post game thoughts...

Gator... your #3 is laughable at best. On paper... you have more talent than we do right now. To be arrogant enough to think that UT cant be light years more talented in the future sounds a lot like sour grapes.
That's exactly what I thought when I first saw it....it's just sour grapes coming from but** hurt gator that is realizing their future with Sunbelt whatever his name is very limited.

In 3 years, you will be ready to see Napier fired. Warning you now, the guy is another goofball.
I wanna know why he was going crazy on the TN review of the touchdown ? Just the previous drive their touchdown got reviewed. Dude was going absolute nuts over nothing . Lmao

@lawgator1, kudos (or kadoos as Phil Paycheck used to say) for the post, but #1 and #3 are reaches.

#1 Just like Gary Danielson, you fail to acknowledge that Heupel’s system results in a lot of open receivers. All game long, ole Gator Gary thought every long AR pass was a thing of beauty, while every HH completion was a mistake by UF. It was partly some mistakes on D, and a lot of good offensive scheming.

#3. That’s a reach. Given what Garner is pulling in on D, and Heupels ability to develop skill players, I’m not at all worried about the future. It may be bright for Florida, too, but to think we have peaked and have nothing following is foolhardy.

But again, you’re other points were generally solid, and I respect someone who posts a respectful, thoughtful entry after a loss.

::: golf clap :::

Reactions: jhcrane14
You don't think UF has a simple geographical advantage?
So does Miami and Florida state and we see how garbage they’ve been. Vols have a better recruiting base than a lot of people think. Not only is in state talent better than ever and rising, we are surrounded by 7 states and some not far from Knoxville.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
Congratulations as well.

Florida needs to get on the trail and recruit a whole bunch of talent.

And if Tennessee wants to win championships, they have to do something about that defense.
Recruiting required.... No where near where they need to be .. lots of opportunity

IMO Nap reminds me of Hal Mumme going for it on 4th down and in your territory early in the game is just dumb and will get you fired sooner or later. e.g Bill Battles failing on fake punt. You get the first everybody’s on your side fail once and it’s over.
He knew his defense wasn’t going to stop us!

Your potential comment is ridiculous. It Tennessee had a competent D coordinator we’d have blown the doors off you.
Let's see how competent he is with another recruiting class or two. The issue looks to be more talent than coaching.

Typical Florida football. Look like 5th graders with a 4th grade QB. Roll into town against the Vols, and all of a sudden they play football, and the QB despite his short comings puts up numbers almost equal to Hooker.

Reactions: Coach_Z
Ive sat through countless loses to the gators in Neyland. I stay to the end, watching them celebrate on our field, shake their keys at Vol fans leaving early. Gator chomp...all of that. Saturday, I celebrated with my family. AND...1 of those gator MF's came to my section and started sh@t with my 16 year old son and ran away like a coward when I got involved. They can all kick rocks. Take your loss like a man!!

I wanna know why he was going crazy on the TN review of the touchdown ? Just the previous drive their touchdown got reviewed. Dude was going absolute nuts over nothing . Lmao
He was out on the field motioning for the refs to start the play clock. He was pissed that they were discussing the play with CJH. He got more and more animated until he finally blew is top and slung his headset, which drew the flag. When I re-watched the game Sunday, i was disappointed they didnt show it all

I dont know how this guy can say "the difference in the game was Hooker" when their QB played just about as well, & better statistically....both had 1 TO (not counting the last play) and over 450 yds in offense (AR had over 500). There wasnt much difference in their games at all. Tennessee won the game with a couple of stops (one punt, one fumble) that changed the tone. The back to back TDs at end of half and start of the half gave the spread Tennessee needed. Florida stayed alive converting the 4th downs which normally they wouldnt attempt.

Hooker had a great game, no question, but he has played at this level before vs better teams than Florida. (Pitt this year, Ky & Ala last year are just a couple). AR's game is the one that was "outside the norm". That will go down most likely to be the best game he'll ever play statistically. I posted earlier that I believe the Tennessee staff bought the story AR was injured and they didnt expect Fla to put all their eggs in his basket so they schemed to control Fla RBs, which they did effectively.

Last edited:

Ok go back and watch the play where he went into a rampage. As I already said it in one thread will say it again. He blew his top when the PLAY CLOCK was at zero and the delay from the ref's allowing the TO called by CJH made it's way to the field is what caused him to lose it. Coaches don't lose their mind on a review of a TD. Nothing on CJH but on the ref's for their terrible mismanagement of the game. But will say thanks to CBN for the 1st down.

He was out on the field motioning for the refs to start the play clock. He was pissed that they were discussing the play with CJH. He got more and more animated until he finally blew is top and slung his headset, which drew the flag. When I re-watched the game Sunday, i was disappointed they didnt show it all

Read my previouse post as to why he lost it. You can't start the game clock on a time out sir. After yes but during NO!

You may be right but tonight's defense didn't seem any better than the leaky defense I watched all last year. I hope this game will be the D's worst effort of the year. Almost 500 yards passing for Richardson ... really?
We sold out to stop the run. We need corners and when we get them you will see a big difference. Lock down corners allows you to gamble. We ain't got that now but we stop the run pretty dang good!

We sold out to stop the run. We need corners and when we get them you will see a big difference. Lock down corners allows you to gamble. We ain't got that now but we stop the run pretty dang good!
They're going to have to do something differently. You can't allow 10 yard cushions and not expect 3rd and long completions.

3) You wont like this but I am not prepared to say that UT has long term turned the corner in terms of the rivalry. Just not sure UT has that much more upside potential talent wise whereas UF has significantly more potential.

Depends on what you mean by "turned the corner." UT has had some pretty awful teams in the last 18 years and only won 2 games in the rivalry during that span. Furthermore, UT has lost some heartbreakers during that span in ways that makes one think there was a mental block with Tennessee (some would say "curse").

So in addressing those two dynamics, I think that A) UT isn't going to suck for awhile now that Heupel is in charge. I don't think it's a stretch to think that at this point; and B) Tennessee isn't going to have a mental block against Florida with Heupel in charge. That's just not in his culture. He instills confidence and aggression (kinda like Spurrier did).

And yes, Florida is going to get more talented, but so is Tennessee, especially on defense. Moreover, from a coaching/tactical standpoint, Tennessee will not be lacking as it has in the past.

So is UT going to own the series in the near future? I guess it's possible, but no one is predicting it. But I also think it would be a stretch to think Florida is going to keep dominating this series in the fashion it has. Maybe one team wins 6 of the next 10. Maybe it's Florida, maybe it's Tennessee...but if it's Florida it will be because a really good Florida team beat a really good Tennessee team 6 times out of 10. And in that sense, yes, Tennessee has turned the corner in this rivalry. If you're gonna beat Tennessee, it's gonna be because you're really good, not because Tennessee isn't good or has a mental block.

They're going to have to do something differently. You can't allow 10 yard cushions and not expect 3rd and long completions.
Well to be fair to the team they stopped them 7 times on 3rd down. They were 7 for 15 on 3rd down. 4th down stops was our problem and most were 2 yds and less. We did give up the long pass on 4th down but the corner was sitting on the 1st down line and got burnt. The first 4th down try when Richardson sneaked it it should have been reviewed. He didn't gain an inch.

Depends on what you mean by "turned the corner." UT has had some pretty awful teams in the last 18 years and only won 2 games in the rivalry during that span. Furthermore, UT has lost some heartbreakers during that span in ways that makes one think there was a mental block with Tennessee (some would say "curse").

So in addressing those two dynamics, I think that A) UT isn't going to suck for awhile now that Heupel is in charge. I don't think it's a stretch to think that at this point; and B) Tennessee isn't going to have a mental block against Florida with Heupel in charge. That's just not in his culture. He instills confidence and aggression (kinda like Spurrier did).

And yes, Florida is going to get more talented, but so is Tennessee, especially on defense. Moreover, from a coaching/tactical standpoint, Tennessee will not be lacking as it has in the past.

So is UT going to own the series in the near future? I guess it's possible, but no one is predicting it. But I also think it would be a stretch to think Florida is going to keep dominating this series in the fashion it has. Maybe one team wins 6 of the next 10. Maybe it's Florida, maybe it's Tennessee...but if it's Florida it will be because a really good Florida team beat a really good Tennessee team 6 times out of 10. And in that sense, yes, Tennessee has turned the corner in this rivalry. If you're gonna beat Tennessee, it's gonna be because you're really good, not because Tennessee isn't good or has a mental block.

Miami is cooked. FSU is due for its tri-annual self imposed detonation any moment now. And UF has all the recruiting momentum in the state, even with Miami trying to buy an entire team.

UF has just such an easy path to an explosive rise in recruiting.

But, having said that, as you say time will tell. And as I've said we both have a mountain to climb in recruiting to routinely threaten UGA and Ala.

Well to be fair to the team they stopped them 7 times on 3rd down. They were 7 for 15 on 3rd down. 4th down stops was our problem and most were 2 yds and less. We did give up the long pass on 4th down but the corner was sitting on the 1st down line and got burnt. The first 4th down try when Richardson sneaked it it should have been reviewed. He didn't gain an inch.
Yes but look how many 3rd and long was converted, and like Brent Hubbs says you can factor in the 4th down conversions in a sense because of how much was given up on 3rd. Let's not forget, outside of the 2 TOs they had 1 punt. Tim Banks strategy is get them in 3rd and long (very successful) but then give such a cushion it doesn't matter. Florida was not very successful at running the ball. Didn't matter. That was probably the worst secondary performance I've ever seen.

Miami is cooked. FSU is due for its tri-annual self imposed detonation any moment now. And UF has all the recruiting momentum in the state, even with Miami trying to buy an entire team.

UF has just such an easy path to an explosive rise in recruiting.

But, having said that, as you say time will tell. And as I've said we both have a mountain to climb in recruiting to routinely threaten UGA and Ala.

My point is, Tennessee isn't going to be an easy game anymore, regardless of what Florida does. That, in and of itself, is turning the corner in the rivalry. In short, it will be a rivalry again.

VN Store

Back