Confidence ranking of year 1 coaches (247sports)

Like the article said, it's not a ranking of hiw good a coach he is, but whether or not he will be successful this year.

With the roster we have, I'd say it's pretty close. CJH has a tough row to hoe.

NOTE:
Now, before you get too upset at these rankings, it’s important to remember that Marcello isn’t ranking coaches here. He’s simply ranking which coaches will have the most successful seasons.

He is focusing on what coach can do with the remaining players that were loyal to their team regardless of NCAA or new coaches. As for the players that left, as I recall they stated something about "This is my family, my brothers, family" last year, I guess their idea of family is a little different than mine. hmmm

Go Real Vols!

I love that we have 0 hype... we are going to be fun and explosive on offense a lot of speed and athletes all over the field... that will keep us in a lot of games whether we win is yet to be determined but we will at least have a chance... previous years it’s been games we should’ve won that our offense gave us 0 chance to win that will not be the case this season.

First time head coach at VANDY and he's number 6?.....get this trash outta here. Good news is if Heupel doesn't work out there is an up and comer listed at #9 at Ark State
Maybe it is just because they have such low expectations? Who knows, doubtful they'll have a better year than us.

I will take you word for what the article said. Half of it is covered up with ads.

Maybe it is just because they have such low expectations? Who knows, doubtful they'll have a better year than us.

The rankings are based upon how successful the author thinks head coaches will be relative to the team's previous season, so Vandy beating ETSU/UConn and being competitive in one SEC game would be a pretty decent step up.

It's just somewhat worrisome that this author thinks that Tennessee will be worse this year than a season in which they notched a six-game SEC losing streak and only looked truly solid against Vanderbilt and Missouri. The only rankings with which I don't particularly agree (UCF would have had a better season in '21 than '20 if Heupel had stayed, so that one is misleading) are Andy Avalos (weird, but not terrible, season for Boise last year) and Steve Sarkisian (all things considered, 2020 wasn't a terrible season).

They're really thin in some areas even if they're talented, Vandy on the other hand has nothing. If Clark Lea happens to beat Heupel then we're probably screwed for another 8 years.

Like the article said, it's not a ranking of hiw good a coach he is, but whether or not he will be successful this year.

With the roster we have, I'd say it's pretty close. CJH has a tough row to hoe.

Definitely has a tough job considering the number of high quality players on the roster but he has my support and I'm certainly not going to let next year's record get in the way of that.

Reactions: buckfama
The rankings are based upon how successful the author thinks head coaches will be relative to the team's previous season, so Vandy beating ETSU/UConn and being competitive in one SEC game would be a pretty decent step up.

It's just somewhat worrisome that this author thinks that Tennessee will be worse this year than a season in which they notched a six-game SEC losing streak and only looked truly solid against Vanderbilt and Missouri. The only rankings with which I don't particularly agree (UCF would have had a better season in '21 than '20 if Heupel had stayed, so that one is misleading) are Andy Avalos (weird, but not terrible, season for Boise last year) and Steve Sarkisian (all things considered, 2020 wasn't a terrible season).
I'll think we'll be about the same, given we're trading 2 extra sec games for 4 winnable non conference games. If we go 3-1 in those games and figure out a way to win 3 in conference (or just beat Pittsburgh) then we'll end up doing better than last year.

I love that we have 0 hype... we are going to be fun and explosive on offense a lot of speed and athletes all over the field... that will keep us in a lot of games whether we win is yet to be determined but we will at least have a chance... previous years it’s been games we should’ve won that our offense gave us 0 chance to win that will not be the case this season.
mostly because we were playing the wrong QB

Reactions: preacherwebb
I'm beginning to think the Vols will resemble an expansion NFL team, i.e. castoffs, retreads, and wanna-bes. Maybe it's necessary to burn the program down to the foundation and start from the ground up. The Vols are going to be everyone's pick for homecoming games.

VN Store

Back