Conference Games Only?

Unless those people are very unhealthy, then there is about a 95-97% chance their symptoms will be mild to none. Also about 98% will survive.
Does 98% sound like a good number to you? To reach herd immunity at least 40% of the population will need to get infected, more likely 60%. For maths sake lets call it 50%. 160 million infected would equal 3.2 million deaths. Our hospitals cannot handle that amount of illness. Not even mentioning the long term effects that many are likely to have.

Reactions: 08Vol and ohhbother
Does 98% sound like a good number to you? To reach herd immunity at least 40% of the population will need to get infected, more likely 60%. For maths sake lets call it 50%. 160 million infected would equal 3.2 million deaths. Our hospitals cannot handle that amount of illness. Not even mentioning the long term effects that many are likely to have.

Hospitals are fine. Long term effects? We are in the early stages of herd immunity right now. If we weren’t then the death rate would be skyrocketing. It’s not. And the longer we listen to ones who keep pushing the stay at home and lockdown agendas then the worse it will get. Suicide, depression, anxiety, opioid abuse are on the rise all because of media fear BS and flat out lies.

Hospitals are fine. Long term effects? We are in the early stages of herd immunity right now. If we weren’t then the death rate would be skyrocketing. It’s not.

Reaching herd immunity would be indicated by a drop in cases, not just deaths. We are nowhere close to herd immunity, and we're not even sure where that number really is.

But it's a non sequitur anyway, since deaths have gone back up over the past week and change. All the young people who got it in late May and early June and had very mild symptoms (if any) appear to have passed it into the older and riskier populations.

Hospitals are fine. Long term effects? We are in the early stages of herd immunity right now. If we weren’t then the death rate would be skyrocketing. It’s not. And the longer we listen to ones who keep pushing the stay at home and lockdown agendas then the worse it will get. Suicide, depression, anxiety, opioid abuse are on the rise all because of media fear BS and flat out lies.
Hospitals will not be "fine" as you say for long. How does herd immunity effect death rate as you say? The true "death rate" can't be determined as the infection grows but if you are going to try and estimate it, then understand the the surge in positive tests recently will likely correlate with the death numbers in 2 to 3 weeks.

Hospitals will not be "fine" as you say for long. How does herd immunity effect death rate as you say? The true "death rate" can't be determined as the infection grows but if you are going to try and estimate it, then understand the the surge in positive tests recently will likely correlate with the death numbers in 2 to 3 weeks.

So by your logic we should see a massive spike in deaths then huh? Yes hospitals will be fine. This thing isn’t that deadly. Virtually all data point to that.

Reactions: norrislakevol
So by your logic we should see a massive spike in deaths then huh? Yes hospitals will be fine. This thing isn’t that deadly. Virtually all data point to that.
Well you are just wrong. Hospitals are not equipped to withstand large surges in patients, as they all run on fairly tight margins. Also, people who are ill with COVID have extended ICU and floor stays, often staying in the hospitals for weeks. As far as saying it is "not that deadly", compared to what. It is very likely 400K Americans will from this March to March, and that is if we are lucky. Maybe that seem minor to you but it is not.

I work for a health system. Our ERs and ICUs are at capacity. We've requested clinical staffing support from the National Guard to help us manage the surge of COVID-19 hospitalizations, which have increased 1700 percent since mid-June in our facilities. Nothing about this is fine, except for the fine, fine men and women who are putting themselves at risk caring for others. I work in a support role and am doing everything I can to support them. Wear a mask, and do the same.
Where are you located? I work in an ED in Chattanooga and we are starting to see more and more sick COVID patients.

I work for a health system. Our ERs and ICUs are at capacity. We've requested clinical staffing support from the National Guard to help us manage the surge of COVID-19 hospitalizations, which have increased 1700 percent since mid-June in our facilities. Nothing about this is fine, except for the fine, fine men and women who are putting themselves at risk caring for others. I work in a support role and am doing everything I can to support them. Wear a mask, and do the same.
And thank you. 1000 frontline workers dead in US so far. I am 50 with no known health problems so I hope to be fine but I have seen 2 men younger than me who were fit with no known health problems die in my hospital in the last 3 weeks from COVID.

This isn’t a policy issue. We shut down the damn country, destroying the economy, and it still wasn’t enough. The virus is going to do its thing and sports are just another casualty.

Quit making it a political issue. It isn’t one.
lol..really

Where are you located? I work in an ED in Chattanooga and we are starting to see more and more sick COVID patients.
I work at a hospital in Chattanooga as well. We have had 2 positive patients so far, both elderly. Only one showed symptoms. The other, I cared for last night and she seemed perfectly fine. The virus affects everyone differently, which is why it is so hard to manage.

I just hate living in fear (which I'm choosing not to do anymore), and wearing these freaking masks all the time. My face feels like it has a mask on even when it doesnt have a mask on.

P.S. I probably know of you, especially if you work at the Baroness.

What is the benefit of playing only conference games? It's safer for SCAR to travel to Baton Rouge to play LSU than to play an out of conference game at Clemson? UGA goes to Missouri but can't host GA Tech? UF can go to Ole Miss but not FSU?

Canceling games more than a set distance might make sense but canceling all out of conference games has no rational basis.

Conferences will make their own rules for how teams deal with this and enforce that among their teams. If 2 conferences have different rules then an agreement has to be in place over which rule set they follow when they play.

Hypothetical examples:
Say the PAC 12 requires all coaches over the age of 40 be in the booth the entire game, a staff member will serve as the acting head coach on the sidelines if needed. SEC doesn’t have this requirement. Which rule do they follow when Southern Cal plays Bama at a neutral site?

Say the SEC requires all players take a rapid COVID test the morning of the game and for it to be negative. ACC says players who have already tested positive for the virus and recovered only have to be tested once every 2 weeks. Which rule do you follow when Clemson plays SCAR this year?

Reactions: USF grad in TN
Conferences will make their own rules for how teams deal with this and enforce that among their teams. If 2 conferences have different rules then an agreement has to be in place over which rule set they follow when they play.

Hypothetical examples:
Say the PAC 12 requires all coaches over the age of 40 be in the booth the entire game, a staff member will serve as the acting head coach on the sidelines if needed. SEC doesn’t have this requirement. Which rule do they follow when Southern Cal plays Bama at a neutral site?

Say the SEC requires all players take a rapid COVID test the morning of the game and for it to be negative. ACC says players who have already tested positive for the virus and recovered only have to be tested once every 2 weeks. Which rule do you follow when Clemson plays SCAR this year?

Bàma follows the SEC rules, USC follows the PAC12 rules. Sidelines are 160' apart, I think that meets the current social distancing guidelines.

I suspect Clemson/ACC and the SCAR/SEC could negotiate this between now and the end of November and reach an agreement acceptable to all parties.

I think if they deem it too risky for Fall football they will postpone until the Spring semester and make a final decision on if they will have a season by the end of January. No reason to just outright cancel the season right now whenever you can take a “wait and see” approach. Just my opinion.

it’s fall or nothing. They aren’t playing for 3 months in the spring to turn around and play again in August.

Reactions: DuckinVol
I just want to point out again, because I don't think anyone breaks it down this way....

If you think you have COVID, there is an extremely high probability that you don't. 90% of those tested don't have it.

If you actually have COVID, the most likely medical treatment you will receive or be given is.....absolutely nothing. That's right, nothing. They send you home and tell you to come back if symptoms (particularly breathing) get worse.

If you have COVID and you actually need medical treatment, there is a very high probability that you make a full recovery.

And if you are a certain age and do not have pre-existing conditions, the likelihood of all those things happening and the end result is death is extremely remote. That's not me. That's science. Everyone can look up the numbers themselves. Of course, we can all play with numbers to make them say what we want. But, it is what it is.

The odds of any of these athletes having any issues that result in death are translucently thin to none. And as such, I will point out that you haven't seen any story about any of these college athletes, MLB, NHL, NBA, NFL, etc., players who have tested positive who are on death's door. Not a one.

I wanted to respond to this thread then saw your post. No response required...your post is perfect.

This virus poses virtually zero threat to most of the population. We know the groups at risk and they themselves know. Shutting everything down is irresponsible and beyond idiotic.

I just want to point out again, because I don't think anyone breaks it down this way....

If you think you have COVID, there is an extremely high probability that you don't. 90% of those tested don't have it.

If you actually have COVID, the most likely medical treatment you will receive or be given is.....absolutely nothing. That's right, nothing. They send you home and tell you to come back if symptoms (particularly breathing) get worse.

If you have COVID and you actually need medical treatment, there is a very high probability that you make a full recovery.

And if you are a certain age and do not have pre-existing conditions, the likelihood of all those things happening and the end result is death is extremely remote. That's not me. That's science. Everyone can look up the numbers themselves. Of course, we can all play with numbers to make them say what we want. But, it is what it is.

The odds of any of these athletes having any issues that result in death are translucently thin to none. And as such, I will point out that you haven't seen any story about any of these college athletes, MLB, NHL, NBA, NFL, etc., players who have tested positive who are on death's door. Not a one.
Its all media hype to destroy Trump

There isn’t going to be football. As painful as it is for me to say it, they aren’t going to do it with the numbers skyrocketing.
Agree. I said at the beginning there was no way football would happen this fall. There’s zero way it happens in the spring either. Numbers will go up in the fall and winter unfortunately. What no one wants to hear is we may still not have a handle on this next fall if a vaccine doesn’t come out.

Agree. I said at the beginning there was no way football would happen this fall. There’s zero way it happens in the spring either. Numbers will go up in the fall and winter unfortunately. What no one wants to hear is we may still not have a handle on this next fall if a vaccine doesn’t come out.

We can't stimulus our way through another year of this. Continue this until the economic dominoes really begin to fall, and the impact will be profound and personal. This will become untenable, catching covid will be the least of the average person's problems.

Reactions: WVU05UT09
What is the benefit of playing only conference games? It's safer for SCAR to travel to Baton Rouge to play LSU than to play an out of conference game at Clemson? UGA goes to Missouri but can't host GA Tech? UF can go to Ole Miss but not FSU?

Canceling games more than a set distance might make sense but canceling all out of conference games has no rational basis.

No need trying to be rational. There are so many rational holes in this pandemic cheese that they are innumerable.
I hope they just do whatev it takes to save the season. SEC stick together like Big10. Play 13, crown a champ on standings and head2head tie breaker etc. Would make for a very entertaining year, playoff or not. Not at the mercy of the cancel teams that way.

With the case numbers skyrocketing but the death rate is lowering it's either one of two things. The virus is losing it's strength or the numbers are being padded....hmmm.

No way it's the numbers. Those a bullet-proof!

Very little is know about his virus right now other than the fact of who it generally kills. Some experts think that over 20 million people in this country have already had it and the vast majority never even knew. I could definitely buy that, and if T cells are mostly the ones that fight off the infection in most folks then I don't think an antibody test would come up positive, but someone more knowledgeable can correct me on that if I am wrong.

Give it 2 weeks

Reactions: 08Vol

VN Store

Back