Compare These 2 Media Outlets

OldVol

Once again we're on the front page of ESPN as well as CBS web sites.

ESPN leads the story on their front page with this:

Vols receiver, ex-QB plead guilty to fight charges

If you read this and don't go to the whole story, you'll have no clue about the true nature of the decision.

ESPN failed to quote coach Fulmer on the matter, failed to report that Smith was reinstated to the team, and once again used this as an opportunity to report the 11 arrests since Jan. 2004.

Now, CBS:

They lead with:

Tennessee WR back on team after plea

They quote coach Fulmer: "I remain very disappointed we have had any of these kinds of issues at all but am pleased with the results in court for Bret," Fulmer said in a statement released late Thursday. "He will return to our active roster and the suspension is lifted, however he will continue to be disciplined internally for his immature actions and poor representation of our team."

That's a very mature, fair, and measured response to this problem.

ESPN didn't see fit to use it. We wouldn't want the world to know that Tennessee is addressing the problem.

And guess what? CBS didn't see fit to dig up the dead horse about the 11 players arrested since Jan. 04.

Before you start reminding me that we do have a problem, you can save it. I know we have a problem. I'm appalled by the arrests and am expecting the staff to put a stop to it.

The fact that we've had some misbehavior doesn't change the FACT that ESPN usually handles our problems differently than they do most other schools.

It's obvious in this article. They used it as an opportunity to again hammer us for the arrests, and then they withhold information that sheds a positive light on the results, and how coach is handling it.

Here's the link to both stories.

http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/8551288

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2081283

Originally posted by OldVol@Jun 10, 2005 12:23 PM

The fact that we've had some misbehavior doesn't change the FACT that ESPN usually handles our problems differently than they do most other schools.

If OU, FSU, or anyone else had this many arrests during the off-season, they would do the same thing.

SI had covers on FSU when they cheated and ESPN went nuts with it.

South Carolina getting a lot of arrests has gotten a lot of pub but they suck anyway so big deal....UGA is yesterdays news...UT is continuing to be the best in the East.

We should stop blaming the media outlets for our own mistakes.

If we don't get people arrested, they won't have anything to report.

It's that simple

Originally posted by U-T@Jun 10, 2005 12:32 PM
If OU, FSU, or anyone else had this many arrests during the off-season, they would do the same thing.

SI had covers on FSU when they cheated and ESPN went nuts with it.

South Carolina getting a lot of arrests has gotten a lot of pub but they suck anyway so big deal....UGA is yesterdays news...UT is continuing to be the best in the East.

We should stop blaming the media outlets for our own mistakes.

If we don't get people arrested, they won't have anything to report.

It's that simple
[snapback]102433[/snapback]​

Nowhere do I blame the media for our troubles?

It is news and it should be reported.

It should be reported fairly and responsibly though.

CBS did that in this instance. ESPN, as usual, spins the story to make us look as bad as possible.

Why did they leave out the quote? And why, for God's sake, did they not even have the decency to mention that Smith was reinstated?

That's irresponsible journalism. It isn't fair to the school or the player.

I am not blaming you nor was what I said directed at you.

What I said was for anyone who wanted to blame the ESPN's of this world for our problems.

ESPN has been writing just about the same way for years whether it was against FSU's problems, Miami's problems, UF's problems, or UT's problems.

It's just the way it works these days and as unfair as ESPN's writers may be....we are continuing to give them work to shove out.

Originally posted by U-T@Jun 10, 2005 2:05 PM
I am not blaming you nor was what I said directed at you.

What I said was for anyone who wanted to blame the ESPN's of this world for our problems.

ESPN has been writing just about the same way for years whether it was against FSU's problems, Miami's problems, UF's problems, or UT's problems.

It's just the way it works these days and as unfair as ESPN's writers may be....we are continuing to give them work to shove out.
[snapback]102446[/snapback]​

It just seems strange how they can seemingly look past all of the troubles at SC and pour out article after article about the wonderful Spurrier while ignoring the positive aspects of a story like the one I pointed out.

Sportsline and the Tennessean picked up on the positive article about the big turn around in Jason Respert's story. Do you think ESPN would plug that? Not on your life.

No one will ever convice me that they're not more biased when it comes to UT than most other teams.

Everyone has their favorites, but the least they could do is tell the whole story and let people have all the facts to ponder.

They paint it like they want it to appear.

This comparison is a classic example of how they do just that.

And I agree, good behavior would eliminate these articles to some degree. But they pushed the tutorgate story, which was later proven to be bogus, with vigor and failed to provide any retraction after both the university and the NCAA cleared the university of all wrong doing. On top of which, they still refer to it on the air is if it were legitimate, while never mentioning the fact that it was proven not to be.

It's no different, other than the fact that it was sports vs. politics, than the fiasco with CBS, Dan Rather and the National Guard story.

CBS printed a retraction, apologized, and eased old Dan out.

ESPN still acts like it was a scoop.

BIAS!

Who cares about South Carolina?

The Spurrier articles were written and nobody gave a rats ass...why? Because they have never done anything in football thus on a national scale....who cares?

Tennessee on the other hand is known nationally as a powerhouse and is coming off an SEC East Title and a Cotton Bowl Victory.

There is a reason we get more positive and thus negative press.

The both of you make a great point!

I agree if it's new's, then report it as is, not make patch work out of it.

Why we UT are having some, in my words' "stupid decisions" issue's?

I know we arent alone, these guy's are young and talented. When will they realise that they arent pro' and dont make million's?
CPF IMO makes pretty good decisions based on the situation, the player pay's his due's to the system and then again pending the severity to the team.

Being a Threat year in and year out, is what we as fan's expect of our VOL's. Is a NO TOLERANCE POLICY needed? I dont believe it is...

Maybe it should start in recruiting? UT is a top of the line national spotlight and microscope. Maybe a little more accountability, not only for yourself', but your team mates?

Not suspend or sit out players because of anothers actions, But perhaps "such and such" missed curfew, or jim bob, got into a argument with his girlfriend and ran naked thru the streets, Run the entire team at the end of practice? Run stairs up and down?

Im not sure what anyone will think of that? But it would shortly kill any idea's of "oh im'a starter" "i can get away with what ever" idea's'.

When you mess up everyone pay's get's you a little more attention than you'd asked for. It would even have player's checking in on their buddies, making sure they are doing the right thing.

When players mess up' sure it hurts the team, but also allows the depth to step up. Id rather depth step up because they earned it. When the media get's wind, it hurts the entire team, university, and fan's.

VN Store

Back