*****Community AD/Coaching Search reference post.

We had a request to put together a post which tracks actual media reports regarding the AD and coaching search at Tennessee. This is a community effort, so feel free to add to the thread or email me and I or the mods will update the post accordingly.

Tuesday, 1/19
  • "Tennessee has not year cleared acting head football coach Kevin Steele to hire assistant coaches or extend the contracts of current UT assistants, per a UT spokesman. That is expected to be resolved later this week." - Jimmy Hyams
  • To assist with its AD search, Tennessee has secured the search firm it used to hire Derrick Dooley, Cuonzo Martin and Dave Serrano.

Wednesday, 1/20
Thursday, 1/21
  • Jon Gilbert has informed ECU that he is not and will not be involved in the Tennessee AD search.
  • Danny White (UCF) has been hired to be the next Athletic Director.
Thank you Freak for this summary. I support the AD hire. Hope we can find a HC of equal caliber sooner than later.

Reactions: VolNExile
Danny White to potential coach questions.

1. Can you not only recruit. But can you develop a QB?

2. Can you find a DC who understands how to stop the slant?

3. Do you understand size matters on the DL but also they have to be quick?

4. Do you remember what a FB is?

5. If you recruit and sign multiple TE. Can you get your OC to actually utilize them?

5. If you recruit and sign multiple TE. Can you get your OC to actually utilize them?
It's sad we have to ask #2. I mean how many times in the past 3 years has the damn slant pass killed us?? This year alone it accounted for probably 2/3 of our blown 3rd down coverage. It was infuriating!

Lost respect for Fulmer. I guess money is the root of all evil. While I understand he had a contract, he had no business granting an extension last year and the football program crumbled under his watch. Nothing in his contract about compliance? We all knew he didn’t leave on his own. Very frustrating to see everything unravel while he collects a check AGAIN while sitting on his couch.

Gotta make sure his wife, children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren are all millionaires before he leaves this earthly realm. It's hard to believe people who coach a game or run an AD can make that kind of money. While people who work their hands to the bone make in a year what he will make in a month.

I literally almost died from laughter after reading No 4 on the list.

I wonder why Neal Browne isn't an option, I thought he'd have been a good fallback

In my opinion, Malzahn is the safest option. He has run a relatively clean program, minus Cam Newton, is offensive minded, and could retain some of the current staff. He can recruit and would be competitive right away. I prefer Freeze because he is a guy who would never leave Tennessee but the TN administration probably won’t consider him with his past issues. I think they need a proven coach with SEC experience, because hiring a first time HC is very risky. I don’t think Kiffin is a possibility either. How can he do the same thing to Ole Miss as he did to UT and expect recruits to trust him. Matt Campbell would be awesome but he likely will not leave Iowa State. I got a feeling the next coach will be someone no one is talking about or expects.

Reactions: 87&91ALUM
The next football coach could be someone out of left field.
Buddy Stephens would fit that mold. He's the Nick Saban of JUCO, 5 national championships in 9 years and an 87% winning percentage. Took over a team without a winning record the decade prior to him taking the job in 2008 I believe.

Why would you pay two ADs at the same time. So Fulmer did not retire, he only stepped aside

Because it looks better than directly firing him, both for the University and for Fulmer. Even if everyone knows the real reason. We have to pay his buyout regardless, so the optics of this look much better.

Phil still has a bunch of support from some big donors, so you don't want to risk pissing those people off and losing money. So instead of firing him, you ask him to step down for the good of the program so he can "go out on his terms" so to speak. This strokes his ego and keeps him and his supporters satisfied.

Because it looks better than directly firing him, both for the University and for Fulmer. Even if everyone knows the real reason. We have to pay his buyout regardless, so the optics of this look much better.

Phil still has a bunch of support from some big donors, so you don't want to risk pissing those people off and losing money. So instead of firing him, you ask him to step down for the good of the program so he can "go out on his terms" so to speak. This strokes his ego and keeps him and his supporters satisfied.
I would say that we would also prefer not to list reasons to fire, as we have already supplied the NCAA with plenty of ammo. Even moreso, we’re giving him a buyout, as firing for cause would intensify a case for lack of institutional control.

Reactions: Carp
Gotta make sure his wife, children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren are all millionaires before he leaves this earthly realm. It's hard to believe people who coach a game or run an AD can make that kind of money. While people who work their hands to the bone make in a year what he will make in a month.
Additionally, instead of him using the UT FACULTY discount (50%) for tuition for children, he forced a scholarship for his daughter that played softball, instead of it being available for a young lady that actually needed it. I lost what little bit of respect after that and recent events only make me want to share his truth more so people understand how greedy he is!

Reactions: bugsme
Buddy Stephens would fit that mold. He's the Nick Saban of JUCO, 5 national championships in 9 years and an 87% winning percentage. Took over a team without a winning record the decade prior to him taking the job in 2008 I believe.
54 years old, 115-16 record, makes $124,732 annually and that includes a stipend to live off campus, a school gas card, a Nissan, a phone and meals. That's insane! EMCC is getting their money's worth and then some huh?

Reactions: vanillagorilla

VN Store

Back