Comments from Arkansas coach Mike Anderson

Maybe. Next year's team should still be good assuming nobody of importance leaves but the 2020-2021 team is going to be a down year barring a couple big five star recruits.

Not many places to go except down from being #3 and likely a top 3 season in program history.

Is it just me or is he bragging about beating the Vols in the second half?

“We came out talking about how we didn’t want to be a spot-‘em team, and I thought we spotted ‘em in the first half, and then we played catch-up from there. But I was proud of our guys fighting in the second half. We outscored ‘em by two. You could say they were up, but they still had their starters in there. They were trying to … you know … they just beat somebody by 40, I think, so I know what was going on.

So you're proud that you didn't lose by 40 and that you won the second half by 2 pts even though you lost the first half by 20. That's Cleveland Brown type talk there...
My biggest head scratcher is the number of minutes our starters are playing given the leads.
If the starters aren’t going to maintain that intensity, play the younger guys.

Reactions: walkenvol
I know one thing, the Hogs were knocking down some threes. That's why Barnes left the starters in, plus he's probably working on 60 mins of conditioning. They'll need it come Feb/March.

They've tried but he's never shown any interest. The only guys Memphis can hire are high school basketball coaches, a guy with no experience like Pastner and a guy that should have been put out to pasture (fired at Minnesota and run off from UK cuz he couldn't recruit).

You act like UTK's last 3 coaches are Calipair, K, and Auerbach. Cuonzo couldn't win the Missouri Valley, Donnie Tyndall had probation hanging over him from USM and thought the mascot was the Voles, and Rick Barnes who couldn't get it done at Texas. Hate to tell you, but Rick Barnes is the exact same coach as Tubby Smith - doesn't get it done on the floor and somehow doesn't get enshrined in Springfield despite everyone saying they are "HOF" coaches.

My biggest head scratcher is the number of minutes our starters are playing given the leads.
If the starters aren’t going to maintain that intensity, play the younger guys.
For Barnes minutes are earned through him trusting you defensively and practice. I’m guessing he didn’t play the younger guys because of effort at practice or lack of trust in them keeping a lead. A lineup with JJ, Pons, Fulk, and Walker probably isn’t going to get much done. Ark had its main guys in, so he probably didn’t want to clear the bench until under 4 min with a 30-35 point lead.

Last edited:
You act like UTK's last 3 coaches are Calipair, K, and Auerbach. Cuonzo couldn't win the Missouri Valley, Donnie Tyndall had probation hanging over him from USM and thought the mascot was the Voles, and Rick Barnes who couldn't get it done at Texas. Hate to tell you, but Rick Barnes is the exact same coach as Tubby Smith - doesn't get it done on the floor and somehow doesn't get enshrined in Springfield despite everyone saying they are "HOF" coaches.

And Memphis State lost to Tennessee again.

Total rebuild year for y'all with a One & Done in Gafford. I always thot Anderson was a pretty good coach. Was impressed by his coaching energy and motivation for those guys in 2nd half. UT was on cruise control, but those boys didn't lay down once even though they were out manned.

Gafford is a sophomore, but yeah Anderson would be ok if he had made at least one run in the tournament in 8 years. We actually have the 2nd or 3rd most regular season wins in the SEC the last five years, but all we have to show for it is a 7-10 seed and getting bounced in the first weekend every year.

He made a sweet 16 at UAB and an elite 8 at Missouri so it’s a little hard to figure out why he hasn’t been a little better at Arkansas.

Reactions: livefaith
I know one thing, the Hogs were knocking down some threes. That's why Barnes left the starters in, plus he's probably working on 60 mins of conditioning. They'll need it come Feb/March.

I have wondered this also. Arky coach alluded to it in his presser too. He hinted like they were trying to beat them down I thought.
But, it does make me wonder if he's trying to condition his guys for later. He definitely has a plan and I don't think it's trying to run up scores. It's @ team goals in March A-N-D April imo.

Gafford is a sophomore, but yeah Anderson would be ok if he had made at least one run in the tournament in 8 years. We actually have the 2nd or 3rd most regular season wins in the SEC the last five years, but all we have to show for it is a 7-10 seed and getting bounced in the first weekend every year.

He made a sweet 16 at UAB and an elite 8 at Missouri so it’s a little hard to figure out why he hasn’t been a little better at Arkansas.

Hogs had Carolina beat in the 2nd round 2 years ago and let the game slip away. That team was pretty good. Losing Malik Monk to Kentucky was a huge loss. Makes one wonder what UK paid considering the Hogs had a family member on the staff and momma a good Walmart cush job.

I wish we had a downvote feature on here so we could banish semi-literate content like this to the Shadow Realm.

Reactions: Zues1

VN Store

Back