College Sports Arrests and the media

orangepeopleeater

I know just like me alot of UT football and even basketball fans are tired of seeing Tennessee players smeared on sports TV when they break the law and such but you hardly if not any hear about the other colleges as much. Granted we should never condone the actions of players breaking the law, but I believe every college should be treated the same. Here are a few college players that might have made local news but never ended up covered as much in my opinion as the UT players on national sports.

Florida (DT) Gary Brown - two counts of misdemeanor battery
(LB) Dustin Doe - driving with suspended license "warrant issued after not doing community service

Oregon (LB) Kiko Alonso - DUI
(RB) LaMichael James - domestic violence charges
(K) Rob Beard - midemeanor assault (was seriously injured)
(DE) Matt Simms - misdemeanor assault
(K) Mike Bowlin - involved in same assault but left team

Texas (WR) Brandon Collins - 1st Degree Felony
(WR) Dan Buckner - Criminal trespass and resisting arrest

Our players were thrust into the spotlight because of their coach...not because of their school. Lane Kiffin is/WAS the reason we were on sportscenter nightly. Everybody thinks the media has it out for their own school. It is, and will always be a timeless debate.

PTI did a whole segment on Oregon and their arrest and how their program was turning into a thug program. Then they went on to mention how Florida has had 30 arrests and that maybe it takes arrests to win. Then Wilbon trashed Florida and said that it was more of a negative towards their program.

So no they don't bring it up just about Tennessee.

True...yet even the coverage on Pearl's players was off of the ESPN homepage by day 3...and they were the one's with the REAL gun.

Look, I don't totally disagree with your assertion. I just think that Kiffin's prescence made bad situations much worse than they had to be.

Heck, G Jones was hospitalized with alcohol poisoning weeks after LK's departure...and half the posters on Volnation probably don't even know about it. If that had happened under LK's watch, God only knows what the fall out would have been.

^ That.

If a program has a string of arrests, it's going to get covered. The media only has bias towards whatever gets ratings. Oregon football was in the spotlight last season, it gets attention, and their arrests will get more attention.

Oregon (LB) Kiko Alonso - DUI
(RB) LaMichael James - domestic violence charges
(K) Rob Beard - midemeanor assault (was seriously injured)
(DE) Matt Simms - misdemeanor assault
(K) Mike Bowlin - involved in same assault but left team

To clarify, James and Beard have both plead not guilty. Mike Bowlin was never arrested or accused of any crime.

PTI did a whole segment on Oregon and their arrest and how their program was turning into a thug program. Then they went on to mention how Florida has had 30 arrests and that maybe it takes arrests to win. Then Wilbon trashed Florida and said that it was more of a negative towards their program.

So no they don't bring it up just about Tennessee.
yep

heard this story a million times "oh if it was us we'd be all over espn" "just cuz its them you wont hear anything about it"

ive heard the gary brown story on espn once or twice

my thoughts are winning championships brings on cockiness and a i dont give a f*** attitude not sure why tenn players getting in trouble tho :eek:lol:

There are some good responses here.

Kiffin was the reason every off the field transgression and minor recruiting violation was covered so closely. When you call other coaches out for cheating without knowing the rules, then repeatedly get caught committing secondary violations, it's difficult for the media to look the other way.

VN Store

Back