College Hoops Around The Country [TN opponents, RPI, others]

Enrolled midyear and the plan all along was to handle him similar to the way Hamidou Diallo was handled. Practice with the team thru the spring semester and redshirt, then play as a rFR in 2022-23.
Yeah, you absolutely hate to see that it didn't work out that way....

Enrolled midyear and the plan all along was to handle him similar to the way Hamidou Diallo was handled. Practice with the team thru the spring semester and redshirt, then play as a rFR in 2022-23.
I don’t know that that was truly the plan, even if that was what was publicized. Don’t think Sharpe or Cal ever expected Sharpe to play a minute at Kentucky

I don’t know that that was truly the plan, even if that was what was publicized. Don’t think Sharpe or Cal ever expected Sharpe to play a minute at Kentucky
No, I agree. I was speaking from a fan's perspective relative to the idea that UK fans were salty with Cal over how things played out.

Reactions: Vol49er
Chris with you living in Ky, what is your perception on how the Ky power brokers view Cal these days?
There is a lot of general frustration with Cal across all levels of fandom in Kentucky. If you remember, early in the season, I said I wouldn't be shocked if he just up and quit after this season, either into retirement or for one more shot at the NBA. He just looks defeated, honestly. But it's hard to walk away from that money.

It was a mistake to give him a lifetime contract. His buyout is currently $52 million, so firing him is not an option. His results across the last 7 seasons are not what UK fans expect. Zero Final 4s since 2015 is the second longest drought in the last 30 years despite having a bevy of talent to do it.

Most fans, which I predicted when they hired him and his adopted 1AD method of recruiting, have grown tired of mercenary basketball. Most excused it at first with all the talent, the title in 2012, and the multiple F4s in the first half of his tenure. But UK fans always cherished the idea of investing in the lives/careers of their players over 3-4 years, and the constant roster turnover absent the high-level success has worn thin on many.

Lastly, he and Mitch Barnhart don't care much for each other. Barnhart expressed his extreme disappointment in Kentucky's end to the season, and made it clear that the level of expectation is much higher than this year’s result, and the recent results of past seasons. Again, though, Cal holds all the cards unless Barnhart has the keys to Ft. Knox. NIL will help UK because they have fans with money just dying to give it away to these kids. The question remains whether Cal can take advantage and get them over the hump, and how badly he still wants to.

Reactions: walkenvol
There is a lot of general frustration with Cal across all levels of fandom in Kentucky. If you remember, early in the season, I said I wouldn't be shocked if he just up and quit after this season, either into retirement or for one more shot at the NBA. He just looks defeated, honestly. But it's hard to walk away from that money.

It was a mistake to give him a lifetime contract. His buyout is currently $52 million, so firing him is not an option. His results across the last 7 seasons are not what UK fans expect. Zero Final 4s since 2015 is the second longest drought in the last 30 years despite having a bevy of talent to do it.

Most fans, which I predicted when they hired him and his adopted 1AD method of recruiting, have grown tired of mercenary basketball. Most excused it at first with all the talent, the title in 2012, and the multiple F4s in the first half of his tenure. But UK fans always cherished the idea of investing in the lives/careers of their players over 3-4 years, and the constant roster turnover absent the high-level success has worn thin on many.

Lastly, he and Mitch Barnhart don't care much for each other. Barnhart expressed his extreme disappointment in Kentucky's end to the season, and made it clear that the level of expectation is much higher than this year’s result, and the recent results of past seasons. Again, though, Cal holds all the cards unless Barnhart has the keys to Ft. Knox. NIL will help UK because they have fans with money just dying to give it away to these kids. The question remains whether Cal can take advantage and get them over the hump, and how badly he still wants to.
Will it though? They pretty much have had their pick of the litter already, now a school like TN that can’t compete on pedigree has one more variable to work with
Not trying to disagree with everything you say. Talking about Kentucky disfunction is just fun 😃

Will it though? They pretty much have had their pick of the litter already, now a school like TN that can’t compete on pedigree has one more variable to work with
Not trying to disagree with everything you say. Talking about Kentucky disfunction is just fun 😃
No, it's fine. Friendly discussion.

NIL certainly evens the playing field, in general, but UK isn't going to be outbid on a basketball player they really want by a school like Tennessee. Those are just the unfortunate facts. And vice-versa in football.

If a basketball kid takes less money to go to Tennessee over UK, then it wasn't about the money to begin with. And if Tennessee pays more than UK to land said kid, then it's fair to wonder how much of a priority the kid was for Kentucky.

No, it's fine. Friendly discussion.

NIL certainly evens the playing field, in general, but UK isn't going to be outbid on a basketball player they really want by a school like Tennessee. Those are just the unfortunate facts. And vice-versa in football.

If a basketball kid takes less money to go to Tennessee over UK, then it wasn't about the money to begin with. And if Tennessee pays more than UK to land said kid, then it's fair to wonder how much of a priority the kid was for Kentucky.
I guess my thinking is Tennessee wasn’t getting kids Kentucky prioritized before NIL either, but now we have a better shot with kids who are high on our board and who are pursued by Kentucky, but not their top priority. Perhaps the first point isn’t so true anymore though with how recruiting has picked up

I could see where NIL could help Kentucky against say Duke in recruiting, who they were previously probably even with, who surely has many rich fans, but a lot smaller fanbase

Reactions: cncchris33
Nijel Pack to Miami. These NIL deals are crazy to me.

Nijel Pack NIL Deal

***BREAKING NEWS*** @LifeWallet is proud to announce @NijelPack24 has officially committed to UM as a basketball player. The biggest LifeWallet deal to date, two years $800,000.00 total at $400,000.00 per year plus a car. Congratulations!!! @johnnyruiz4 @alex7ruiz @ddiazon7

Reactions: golfballs
Nijel Pack to Missouri. These NIL deals are crazy to me.

Nijel Pack NIL Deal

***BREAKING NEWS*** @LifeWallet is proud to announce @NijelPack24 has officially committed to UM as a basketball player. The biggest LifeWallet deal to date, two years $800,000.00 total at $400,000.00 per year plus a car. Congratulations!!! @johnnyruiz4 @alex7ruiz @ddiazon7
Miami actually

Reactions: AurantiacoFan
McMahon has had a pretty good off-season. My guess is these kids are getting a pretty hefty NIL package since there is a strong chance LSU might get a post-season ban.

VN Store

Back