College Hoops Around The Country [TN opponents, RPI, others]

Football players are inherently more valuable here. Especially players at that level. Imagine how many companies would love to have had Peyton Manning as a spokesperson while here. It's just simple facts that football drives the bus in sports. That's why Kansas couldn't get into another league and had to stay in the remnants.
Which is stupid lol.

Villanova seems like such a well-oiled machine and truly elite program that I cannot imagine there will be a mass exodus (or really any exodus) by their players into the portal

I mean there was clearly a plan in place. They announced the retirement and replacement in a 15-minute window. I’m sure Jay encouraged all his guys to stay and I bet they will.
Depends. How much can their NIL collective afford?

Which is stupid lol.

Not really sure why it's stupid. More people watch football. I love both equally as far as the Vols go, but I'm way more prone to watch another college football or NFL game than I am an NBA or other college basketball regular season game.

Chamique Holdsclaw is probably the most successful and dominant person to play a sport at Tennessee. She'd never generate close the same NiL money as Peyton would. That's just how the world works.

Wright is only 60.

With Coach K, Williams and Wright retiring, it will be very interesting to see how long Coach Barnes keeps coaching.

I never got the impression Wright didn't have the spark, though. Given the age difference, Barnes retiring suddenly wouldn't be quite the shock that JW seems to be, but as you said, there doesn't seem to be any signs of it, right now.

Wright has the 2 NCs and 4x FFs. Barnes has a much lower bar. One FF at TN and he’ll be a legend. I’d bet that CJW would rather just step aside now instead of wrangling with the new N-I-L environment. Walking away after adding that 4th Final Four is a good stepping off point.

It will be interesting to see if he’s done or if he jumps to the NBA. Even with potential N-I-L headaches on the horizon - walking away from $6 million/year seems insane.

Reactions: cncchris33
He cares more about getting players to the NBA than winning National Titles.

Even UK fans will tell you that.

It just adds to his resume.
Well, that is exaggerated hyperbole. He does care about his reputation as a player developer, but not primary to winning championships. And he's done nothing to develop Sharpe, yet. If Sharpe is drafted in the top-10, it won't be because of anything Cal did with him at UK. So I see no real benefit for Cal in this case. In fact, Cal benefits by SS returning, playing a year, winning a ton of games, and improving his stock into a top-3 player in the the '23 draft.

Reactions: Vol49er
Is Kennedy guaranteed though? Doesn’t seem like it. He’s a first round talent to me, but that hasn’t shown so far on mock drafts.

I would’ve thrown the Nico 8 million package at him. Not my money, but if the people at Tennessee are serious about winning at basketball, they should’ve been perfectly fine paying him.
KC is solidly in the 1st round in most mocks at this point.

VN Store

Back