College Hoops Around The Country [TN opponents, RPI, others]

It just shows you how far great defense can take you if you have a solid offense. This Baylor team is what we all thought our Tennessee Vols would be this season. Relentless on the defensive end, and patient and precise on the offensive end of the court. Our defense lived up to the expectations most of the season, but we just never could look this smooth on the offensive end of the court.

Baylor has a true PG.

That’s something we didn’t have this season.

Reactions: Vol49er
Agree. Can't stand him, but that team is so quick, so good defensively, and extremely good with the ball.
Yeah, insanely switchable and deep. Made a big difference with Gonzaga two days removed from an emotional overtime game. Baylor had 5 dudes on the court at all times who were extremely athletic and fresh. Soon as the Zags got down and had foul trouble, they were done for

Reactions: cncchris33
For the first time all season, Suggs looked like a freshman. Turnovers, out of control charges and ballhogging. Baylor's guards got in his head and he tried to go at 'em, one on one, way too much. Never really got Timme involved. Like somebody said Baylor was too quick for the Zags everywhere and the Bears depth, especially down low, killed the Zags, imo

Like I always say, want to win the NCAA basketball tournament?

Don’t win your conference tournament.
Or play in a conference that actually challenges you. Gonzaga just wasn’t ready for this game because Baylor was such a huge step up from anyone else they played this year. I know they had a game with Baylor canceled for Covid but that conference basically gives them a two-month long bye except for BYU. They really need to find a way to get in the pac 12.

Timme’s Push and Roll offense makes him seem better than he really is. He’d spend more than half of every game on the bench in the whistle happy SEC. At least early in games. The SEC refs tend to allow post players go all WWE at some point after they stop calling the touch fouls.

Reactions: OrangeAllDay
Or play in a conference that actually challenges you. Gonzaga just wasn’t ready for this game because Baylor was such a huge step up from anyone else they played this year. I know they had a game with Baylor canceled for Covid but that conference basically gives them a two-month long bye except for BYU. They really need to find a way to get in the pac 12.

I couldn’t agree more.

Gonzaga goes unchallenged for 2.5 months every year. It hurts them when it counts.

Baylor played like they were on roids.

That was probably the highest level college basketball game I have ever seen.

Been watching since 06.

Yes Gonzaga got beat down a bit, but they really weren't even playing that bad. Baylor was exceptional. They shot the ball so well and their athletes on defense were unbelievable.

I'm also really not buying the whole "Zags haven't played anybody"

When they're literally in the championship game undefeated after blowing out Kansas, Auburn, Iowa, Virginia, BYU, Oklahoma, Creighton and USC. Yeah WVU and UCLA gave them a game, big deal they would give anyone else a game too including Baylor.

The passing though was really unbelievable. Just how fast both teams played. Zags were just lacking their jumpshot after getting off to a slow start.

I couldn’t agree more.

Gonzaga goes unchallenged for 2.5 months every year. It hurts them when it counts.
Ya know.... these types of arguments might make sense if they were losing in the first weekend every year. They’ve played in 2 of the last 4 championship games. They’ve made several elite 8 runs in the last 15-20 years. Maybe 5 or 6 programs have a better resume in the last 10-15 years, but yea....stick with your argument....
and. Don’t forget Baylor and Gonzaga were favored to meet in the championship last year had there been a tournament. You guys are funny.

I want a best, 2 out of 3. I feel like it would have been a better game during their regular season matchup that got cancelled. Hugely disappointing given that these two were clearly the best teams in CBB this year

Athletically, the Zags don’t see the players in January, February, and into March that they begin to see in the round of 32. Last night it was hard for them to handle the hounding Baylor threw their way. Adjusting after playing their conference schedule for 10 weeks was difficult. Iron sharpens iron.

Athletically, the Zags don’t see the players in January, February, and into March that they begin to see in the round of 32. Last night it was hard for them to handle the hounding Baylor threw their way. Adjusting after playing their conference schedule for 10 weeks was difficult. Iron sharpens iron.
21 - NC game
20 - 1 seed -no tourney -
19 - elite 8
18 - sweet 16
17 - NC game
16 - sweet 16
15 - elite 8

Clearly their conference schedule is holding them back....haha.
who has been more consistent in the past 7 years? And it isn’t going to change going forward as long as Few is there.

Reactions: Tnphil
Baylor has a true PG.

That’s something we didn’t have this season.
As well as 2-3 players who can play both good offense and defense at the 4/5 positions. Their guards made the defense look really slow and inadequate. UCLA's guards did the same thing. It just proves, you must have outstanding players at every position to win the NCAA.

21 - NC game
20 - 1 seed -no tourney -
19 - elite 8
18 - sweet 16
17 - NC game
16 - sweet 16
15 - elite 8

Clearly their conference schedule is holding them back....haha.
who has been more consistent in the past 7 years? And it isn’t going to change going forward as long as Few is there.
Yeah man the "Zags don't play anybody in their soft conference" argument is really really old.

I'm part of a college basketball group on facebook and Kensucky, Kansas, Duke and UNC fans especially espouse that bollocks all the time.

They've been just begging for Gonzaga to lose all year just so they can say "it's cause their conference is weak!"

They've been playing and beating power 5 teams for a little over two decades now.

Ya know.... these types of arguments might make sense if they were losing in the first weekend every year. They’ve played in 2 of the last 4 championship games. They’ve made several elite 8 runs in the last 15-20 years. Maybe 5 or 6 programs have a better resume in the last 10-15 years, but yea....stick with your argument....
and. Don’t forget Baylor and Gonzaga were favored to meet in the championship last year had there been a tournament. You guys are funny.

You can think whatever you want, buddy. I don't think playing for 2.5 months in the West Coast Conference against a bunch of Pepperdines and St. Mary's properly prepares a team to win a National Championship.

Evidence submitted: Gonzaga has 0 National Championships.

You can think whatever you want, buddy. I don't think playing for 2.5 months in the West Coast Conference against a bunch of Pepperdines and St. Mary's properly prepares a team to win a National Championship.

Playing in the SEC doesn't prepare a team to win a national championship either.

Evidence submitted: Tennessee, Georgia, South Carolina, Missouri, Vanderbilt, Alabama, A&M, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, LSU, and Auburn

Tennessee has 0 national championships. The SEC must not adequately prepare them for the NCAAT.

Your argument is extremely flawed if that is your “submitted evidence”.

Playing in the SEC doesn't prepare a team to win a national championship either.

Evidence submitted: Tennessee, Georgia, South Carolina, Missouri, Vanderbilt, Alabama, A&M, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, LSU, and Auburn
Beat me to it...haha

If I was Few I would try to find a creative way to get a couple of big time opponents on my January and February schedule. Maybe you could have another bracket buster event that pitts the very best outside of the power 5s and schedule another big time opponent. I do think the long gap between their early season tests and the NCAA Tournament could cause problems. Not sure that was the case this year. Just looked like Baylor was better.

VN Store

Back