College Hoops Around The Country [TN opponents, RPI, others]

@ColinS you catch Auburn’s loss to Arkansas last night? Gotta thank Pearl is deserving of a fair amount of criticism, 8-7(2-4), currently 13th place in the SEC...so much for that NCAAT run, they might need to run out from this point.

A blown lead like that would get 6 threads about Barnes around here.

A blown lead like that would get 6 threads about Barnes around here.

And to be fair, a blown lead like that would have gotten 6 threads probably about Pearl around here too if he were still here. People have a lot of romantized hindsight with Pearl but I remember a ton of knee jerk reactions against him as well.

Or how in Year 7 we shouldn’t be seeing a fall of like that, and what a poor job building the roster, recruiting and developing Barnes was doing.
The way Barnes was talking about his team Tuesday nite, you'd think he was a VN poster. So give a little leeway to those who believed the hype and hate losses to Bama and florida worse than any others.

The way Barnes was talking about his team Tuesday nite, you'd think he was a VN poster. So give a little leeway to those who believed the hype and hate losses to Bama and florida worse than any others.
I think preseason most people would’ve taken 10-2 through 12 games, in fact we are currently right on almost all analytical projections, so...

Reactions: Sea Ray
@ColinS you catch Auburn’s loss to Arkansas last night? Gotta thank Pearl is deserving of a fair amount of criticism, 8-7(2-4), currently 13th place in the SEC...so much for that NCAAT run, they might need to run out from this point.
No disagreement here. I thought he would develop this team as the season moved along. That's what his track record says he will do. They just don't seem to be turning any corners. The only thing that's happened positive is they have added a dynamic point guard.

No disagreement here. I thought he would develop this team as the season moved along. That's what his track record says he will do. They just don't seem to be turning any corners. The only thing that's happened positive is they have added a dynamic point guard.
And even with him couldn’t get past an average at best Arkansas team, amirite?

Coaches usually know what they’ve got. IMO Pearl knew they weren’t gonna sniff the tournament this year and that’s why they were so willing to self impose the punishment of no postseason

Reactions: ColinS
Coaches usually know what they’ve got. IMO Pearl knew they weren’t gonna sniff the tournament this year and that’s why they were so willing to self impose the punishment of no postseason
Assuming they don't bail on him he has two years to bring this group along. He may not be feeling the sense of urgency a coach would normally have. I'm a salesman and sales pressure is what makes you sell.

Assuming they don't bail on him he has two years to bring this group along. He may not be feeling the sense of urgency a coach would normally have. I'm a salesman and sales pressure is what makes you sell.

Yah and he could be using it to bring players along faster for the future. For instance, if we had a post season ban, would we see more Plav, Pember etc..?

I don’t know, but maybe we would

All I know is everytime Cardwell blocks a shot, grabs a rebound and scores down low, I continue to think, he is the perfect back-up for Fulk and Pons compared to every other post sub, we have. I was extremely disappointed when we missed on Cardwell, nothing I've seen from him or Tennessee has changed my opinion on that. Hell, after watching Cardwell and our post back-ups, I'm even more disappointed we didn't land him

All I know is everytime Cardwell blocks a shot, grabs a rebound and scores down low, I continue to think, he is the perfect back-up for Fulk and Pons compared to every other post sub, we have. I was extremely disappointed when we missed on Cardwell, nothing I've seen from him or Tennessee has changed my opinion on that. Hell, after watching Cardwell and our post back-ups, I'm even more disappointed we didn't land him
It appears CRB wasn’t wiling to had out the McDonalds bag and maybe somebody else was

I think preseason most people would’ve taken 10-2 through 12 games, in fact we are currently right on almost all analytical projections, so...
10-2 with one of the losses to the Zags yes. Losses for lack of performance are more worrisome. Even coach seems taken back by this last one.

Watched the Iowa game. Even though they got beat, I don't wanna see those dudes until FF.

It appeared every one of their post players were 6'10 and weighing 290 lbs.

Anyone with an ounce of basketball knowledge or logic knew Kentucky would eventually click. It's actually happening early. They are in a weird position. They are a threat to win the conference but still have a lot of work to do to get in the NCAA Tournament.

Lol

To be fair to Colin, which pains me, UK looked good when he made that post. I, too, am surprised at the manic nature of that team given the perceived talent. I thought it would take them a bit longer than normal to mesh and hit their stride because of the absence of veteran leadership combined with the pandemic-driven changes to the offseason. Still, I'm shocked that they are as bad as they are halfway thru the season.

The good news is that you may have some leadership next year, because most (probably all) of these kids need another year. It will be interesting to see how this roster is managed with the incoming class. Sarr will leave, or won't count towards the limit if he stays, which means there will be 2 open spots, minimum. 3 kids already signed and UK still recruiting Jaden Hardy, Hunter Sallis, and Patrick Baldwin. Gonna take some roster manipulation if a couple of the current kids don't make a bad decision to go pro.

To be fair to Colin, which pains me, UK looked good when he made that post. I, too, am surprised at the manic nature of that team given the perceived talent. I thought it would take them a bit longer than normal to mesh and hit their stride because of the absence of veteran leadership combined with the pandemic-driven changes to the offseason. Still, I'm shocked that they are as bad as they are halfway thru the season.

The good news is that you may have some leadership next year, because most (probably all) of these kids need another year. It will be interesting to see how this roster is managed with the incoming class. Sarr will leave, or won't count towards the limit if he stays, which means there will be 2 open spots, minimum. 3 kids already signed and UK still recruiting Jaden Hardy, Hunter Sallis, and Patrick Baldwin. Gonna take some roster manipulation if a couple of the current kids don't make a bad decision to go pro.
The problem some have is they go in with the idea they are only going to play one year so academics are not a big concern even though they are not taking difficult classes.

VN Store

Back