College Hoops Around The Country [TN opponents, RPI, others]

Ok, maybe I failed to say that it's our first really good year with UK being down. We had to share the SEC title with LSU that one year, so it feels less like a true win. It feels like we should have more to show for our time with Barnes.

With UK being down, the SEC should, theoretically, be an easy path to a regular season championship for a preseason top team. But one loss and now Alabama is running the table.
Yeah, but each year a team sneaks up and finishes much higher than they were believed to finish. Tennessee has been that team on a few occasions. Alabama is that team this year. The expectation, even for the predicted conference champion, should never have been 18-0, though. That was never realistic. And it is probably unrealistic to think Bama is going to run the table, too, especially without 3 starters going forward. Being 5 games into an 18-game SEC schedule isn't the time to panic.

In the words of Aaron Rodgers, "R-e-l-a-x...relax, we're gonna be OK". Winning the SEC regular season is obviously a goal, but it isn't tantamount to winning the SEC Tournament or making an Eilte 8 run.

Reactions: StarRaider
Ok, maybe I failed to say that it's our first really good year with UK being down. We had to share the SEC title with LSU that one year, so it feels less like a true win. It feels like we should have more to show for our time with Barnes.

With UK being down, the SEC should, theoretically, be an easy path to a regular season championship for a preseason top team. But one loss and now Alabama is running the table.

I don't think you've been paying attention very well.

Reactions: cncchris33
They were ice cold in their wins, it goes both ways...they’ve started out SEC play very hot, wouldn’t be shocked to see them drop a couple unexpected.
I don't disagree. I expect them to cool off a little but still be a very good team. They will see some different defenses thrown at them plus there is the whole issue of injuries that hit them last night.

Auburn just shellacked Georgia on the road. Another impressive night for Cooper. Wish we got them earlier in the season. They’re going to be tough. Especially since Pearl seems to have Barnes’ number. Should be a good two games.

Reactions: VolBalls33
How secure is Shaka at Texas?...6 years no conference titles never made it past the 1st game in NCAA tourney
This year seems to be buying him some collateral. Season is still relatively young and he has time to screw this up, but so far, so good. I'd venture to guess he needs a Sweet 16 to feel safe.

How secure is Shaka at Texas?...6 years no conference titles never made it past the 1st game in NCAA tourney

Smart has a solid incoming class and, keeping in mind that it's just the second week of January and a lot can happen when you have five more ranked Big 12 matchups left and a date in Lexington, has had a really great season thus far and look like a legitimate second weekend threat. Even if they don't capture the regular season title or win the conference tournament, I don't see how you fire him now unless the Longhorns again miss the Round of 32.

Current SEC Standings:

Alabama: 5-0
South Carolina: 1-0
LSU: 4-1
Kentucky: 3-1
Tennessee: 3-1
Miss St: 3-2
Florida: 3-2
Arkansas: 2-3
TA&M: 2-3
Missouri: 1-2
Ole Miss: 1-3
Auburn: 1-4
Vandy: 0-3
Georgia: 0-4

Also Should I start a new thread to continue updating the SEC Standings or just update them in this thread? Thoughts?

Smart is in his 6th season and has done basically nothing. It’s only this season that he’s been able to assemble a team better than what Rick Barnes had in his last season there. They fired Rick for early NCAA exits, and Smart can hardly even get to the NCAA. This season will be the 3rd appearance in 6 years. I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt in ‘17 as he kicked Tevin Mack off the team and that’s even being generous, but all his other teams have had enough talent to be an NCAA tournament team. He’s just underperformed. If he can’t make a Sweet 16 with his current roster then I think it proves he’s not up for the job and will never take Texas where they want to go. Also when you look at what his predecessor Anthony Grant and successor Will Wade did at VCU, it doesn’t seem as exceptional minus what appears to be a lucky run one year to the final 4. See what little patience they had for Tom Herman and the high expectations they had for Rick, it wouldn’t surprise me to see him get axed if they felt there was a good coach they could go get now. I’m just not sure who the pool would be this year?

Smart is in his 6th season and has done basically nothing. It’s only this season that he’s been able to assemble a team better than what Rick Barnes had in his last season there. They fired Rick for early NCAA exits, and Smart can hardly even get to the NCAA. This season will be the 3rd appearance in 6 years. I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt in ‘17 as he kicked Tevin Mack off the team and that’s even being generous, but all his other teams have had enough talent to be an NCAA tournament team. He’s just underperformed. If he can’t make a Sweet 16 with his current roster then I think it proves he’s not up for the job and will never take Texas where they want to go. Also when you look at what his predecessor Anthony Grant and successor Will Wade did at VCU, it doesn’t seem as exceptional minus what appears to be a lucky run one year to the final 4. See what little patience they had for Tom Herman and the high expectations they had for Rick, it wouldn’t surprise me to see him get axed if they felt there was a good coach they could go get now. I’m just not sure who the pool would be this year?
You can never accuse Texas of being afraid to make a change if its not working in any sport

Auburn just shellacked Georgia on the road. Another impressive night for Cooper. Wish we got them earlier in the season. They’re going to be tough. Especially since Pearl seems to have Barnes’ number. Should be a good two games.

Except we don't play them twice. And I mean....Georgia hadn't won an SEC game and Auburn just won their first. I'll wait a few more games to see if this win meant anything for Auburn.

Good post. This is the longer, more detailed version of my thoughts.

Is it too early to call Cooper the best player in the SEC? I'm not confident SV can guard him.
After 2 games, yes. Pearl is putting all his hopes on this kid. He is a good scorer, but not the best shooter it appears. He distributes the ball well, but also turns it over a lot. He made some very poor decisions in his first game that cost them a chance to win in the last 5 minutes.

These are first impressions, and things may change, but he makes Auburn better.

Is it too early to call Cooper the best player in the SEC? I'm not confident SV can guard him.
Not sure he's proven it over time like some guys like Cam Thomas, but Cooper certainly can be the best.

As for SV, I'm confident that he CANNOT guard him. That one is easy to answer. My guess is that we will put Keon on him, who is equally as athletic, but 5" taller, and let him use his length to disrupt Cooper's passing and ability to get a shot off. Could see Springer guarding him, as well, helping out when Keon is out of the game. Vescovi is more likely to guard Justin Powell, who should be back from injury when we play AU.

Sidenote: Sharife Cooper is the younger brother of Te'a Cooper, former Lady Vol, who transferred to South Carolina and then to Baylor for her final year. Had her time in Knoxville been a little more pleasant, I wonder if we would have been a bigger factor for Sharife.

Very reminiscent of Tennessee’s football firing of CPF and our era of constant looking for someone to get us back to anything close to what CPF accomplished

Reactions: VolnJC

Yah. Richmond, Virginia Beach etc... are just great recruiting areas. It’s not that hard to win there.

Reactions: VolnJC

VN Store

Back