College Hoops Around The Country [TN opponents, RPI, others]

Michigan St was more efficient than Tennessee while losing to a 7-15 team?
Prior to last nights game MSU had an efficiency rating of 30.6. Tennessee was 29.2

Today it’s 29.3 and 28.8

We both fell. They fell more than us, but not enough to swap places

Mizzou is the 11th best team in the SEC ... the 11th best team in the B10 is Illinois. Only 2 teams in the B1G have less than 6 losses compared to 4 in the SEC. The B1G is definitely worse overall.

Mizzou also beat Illinois by 16 at a neutral site.

No, I wasn't going that route. I just saw a comparison of Mizzou and Illinois in each conference, and that debate can be settled with their head to head game.
Illinois is playing a lot better now than when that game was played. Won 3 of their last 4 against good teams - Maryland, Nebraska and Michigan St

Yea, but the final records and head to head matchups are what they are. They still lost to ND, Florida Atlantic, and Northwestern.

Yea, but the final records and head to head matchups are what they are. They still lost to ND, Florida Atlantic, and Northwestern.
You can’t really argue that teams can get better and worse throughout the season....

Am I really in the minority opinion here that the Big 10 is better than the SEC?
I think the Big10 might be better top to bottom, but the SEC is better at the top. I’d take TN, Kentucky, and LSU over Michigan, Purdue, and Michigan State.

I think the Big10 might be better top to bottom, but the SEC is better at the top. I’d take TN, Kentucky, and LSU over Michigan, Purdue, and Michigan State.
And Auburn is surging after a slump... while Michigan State is on a 3 game losing streak. I would say that from 1-7, we are about even.

Any ranking system that has Michigan State 4th at this point is just flawed. They’re on a three game losing streak with the last two losses being to below average teams, Illinois being below .500.
What ranking system do you think isn’t flawed? And what’s its historical track record? KenPoms ratings are based on the entire season to date. Not just how well the team is playing right now.

Sagarin’s ‘Recent’ rating has MSU ranked 24. That being said, his ‘recent’ rating has a terrible track record of predicting outcomes. Also, he has Tennessee ranked 7th overall. With Kentucky now ahead of us...

You can’t really argue that teams can get better and worse throughout the season....

Sure, but when it comes time to evaluate teams at the end of the year, all wins and losses count. Cuonzo’s teams got better every year, but their early season losses cost them.

Am I really in the minority opinion here that the Big 10 is better than the SEC?
I agree and I don't think it's even that close. The SEC may be better at the very top than last year but there is too many bottom feeders this year compared to last.

VN Store

Back