College Hoops Around The Country [TN opponents, RPI, others]

Michigan has played a better schedule. They deserve to be above us.

Ok, people keep repeating this and I dont know why. They have played two teams currently ranked in the top 25 (unc and indiana). So have we. They also beat Purdue and Villanova which looked like much better wins at the time than they do now. Their overall opponents win percentage is garbage though, barely over .500 whereas ours is a full ten percent higher.

Our SOS is 21. Theirs is 97.
College Basketball Strength of Schedule - 2018-19

Michigan’s schedule has not been tougher, per KenPom and others. UT’s schedule, though not extremely difficult, has been above average, Michigan’s below average.

I'll also add that they played unc, Purdue, and Indiana all at home. Really their only road game of any difficulty at all was Villanova which, again, is not anywhere near as impressive now as their number 8 ranking at the time

Reactions: A-RodWiLks
Ok, people keep repeating this and I dont know why. They have played two teams currently ranked in the top 25 (unc and indiana). So have we. They also beat Purdue and Villanova which looked like much better wins at the time than they do now. Their overall opponents win percentage is garbage though, barely over .500 whereas ours is a full ten percent higher.

Our SOS is 21. Theirs is 97.
College Basketball Strength of Schedule - 2018-19
A more accurate way of me putting that is that Michigan has played a more top-heavy schedule (4 teams in the top 25 vs our 2). Now, they have padded that with some obvious patsies (6 200+ RPI teams to our 3).

I'll also add that they played unc, Purdue, and Indiana all at home. Really their only road game of any difficulty at all was Villanova which, again, is not anywhere near as impressive now as their number 8 ranking at the time
Yeah, I get that. Not many great teams have played difficult true road games to this point. Look at our own schedule for proof of that.

I'm not saying Michigan is far and away better than us or clearly more deserving. I just don't have a problem with them being ahead of us based on them being undefeated and who they played.

Yeah, I get that. Not many great teams have played difficult true road games to this point. Look at our own schedule for proof of that.

I'm not saying Michigan is far and away better than us or clearly more deserving. I just don't have a problem with them being ahead of us based on them being undefeated and who they played.

Oh I dont have a problem with it at all. Imo better to have more teams to gun for as the season goes on. I just see people keep saying they've clearly played a better schedule and I think, if anything, they are roughly the same. The numbers say ours is better but as you pointed out they've played more teams at the extremes.

VN Store

Back