College Hoops Around The Country [TN opponents, RPI, others]

Doesn't RPI factor in opponents and their opponents records as opposed to what their RPI is?

Hope that makes sense

Yes, that is true. But the opponents' records and opponents of the opponents' records comprise the SOS. So, 75% of the RPI is SOS.

Lipscomb's current RPI is 25, but that will drop in league play because their league teams don't have great records. Their RPI will drop because of SOS.

My longtime criticism of the RPI is that it doesn't take into consideration who you beat. You can go 20-10, and your 10 losses are your toughest games and have a high RPI. It's an index, and that's why the number alone is not a determining factor. The record against top 50/top 100 is key.

Last edited:
Finally, the SEC will really help with the RPI this year. In year's past, a team would have to have a winning record in league play to get in the NCAAT unless it had several impressive OOC wins. But this year, the league is pretty solid from top to bottom.

Also, as has been discussed in the past, avoiding 300 level RPI teams is big. I know this came up with the discussion of just playing a D2 team instead of a bad D1 team a couple of years ago. Barnes said in the Furman postgame interview that in the buy games, they tried to schedule who they thought would win their leagues- Lipscomb, Furman, Mercer. It's what Pearl did too, and it helps your RPI. These teams end up winning 20 games and end up in RPI top 150 as opposed to 300. Playing a midmajor who finishes 8-22 is no good for you.

They have a top 30 RPI - which means they're legit.

Yea, but it's because Temple, Hofstra, and MTSU have top 75 RPI's. Those teams will drop some once league play starts. Auburn hasn't beaten one P5 school (unless you want to count UConn in basketball).

I think Auburn will need to win 11+ games in conference to make the NCAAT.

Reactions: 1 person
I’m still not sold on Auburn.

Don’t blame you. They looked good yesterday, but that was against an unimpressive and early in the season UConn. They also made a lot of difficult shots. Let’s see what they do against adversity. I wouldn’t bet against Pearl, but his teams so far at the Barn have left a ton to be desired in terms of any kind of IQ or disciple with the game on the line.

Ga Tech is just awful. May take another awful loss tonight

Ark doesn't look great tonight either

VN Store

Back