College Football's 13 Worst Coaching Hires of the Past Decade

Butch is not one of the worst hires of the last decade. He won more than the coach that preceded him, had the first back to back 9 win seasons since 06 and 07, and managed to beat UGA and Florida for the first time in one season since 04. He finished with a winning record.

He was not a great coach. This job ultimately was too big for him. That last season was awful. How do you leave Kamara on the bench? The slogans and trash can were awful.

Did Dobbs bail him out? Yep, but who recruited Dobbs? Did we underachieve? In 2016 and 17, absolutely.

I dunno, I'm just in a place where I realize many of the best moments we've had since Fulmer was here came under Butch. Heartbreaking loses for sure. But it seems so many just hate the guy. He was in over his head. It is what it is.

**** Jeremy Pruitt, though. **** that Bama turd. No coach came in and completely s*** all over this program that way since Kiffin.

I think the clear ranking should be:

1. Dooley (worst)
2. Pruitt
3. Kiffin
4. Butch (best)

Of the four terrible coaches we’ve had since Fulmer, (I hate to say it) Butch was the best. But….he was a piece of s*** and I hated him, as a person, the most (Shy Tuttle incident, Mack Crowder incident, Drae Bowles incident, kicking Jauan off the team, trash cans, champions of life/five star hearts/leadership reps/brick by brick, etc). He also was responsible for by far the most miserable season I’ve personally had to endure. 2017 was an abomination and a disgrace to the UT football tradition. The only year I felt ashamed to be a Tennessee fan and wouldn’t even wear my UT hat in public, like I always do. Pruitt had the worst single loss, for sure, but at least he never went 0-8 in the SEC.

I rank Dooley worst because of on field results and recruiting. He was the worst recruiter (signed zero offensive linemen in 2012, what a f***ing moron), never won a bowl, blew the streak against UK, never had a winning season and worst of all, had zero wins of note. At least Pruitt beat Auburn for the first time since 1999, stomped a good Kentucky team and won the Gator Bowl. Dooley? Nothing but choke jobs and ass beatings.

Kiffin is UT’s fault. Dumb contract. He had more coaching acumen in his thumb than all of them combined.

Pruitt sucked, majorly. But again, there were at least two or three notable moments. Even if he was a scumbag and left UT in scandal. I still can’t believe Fulmer, of all people, hired a Bammer.

Reactions: Doberman
Plus, the trumpet blower never played college football. A carnival barker and snake oil salesman. The other two were just failures. JMO

Yes he did. He was a DB at Ferris State and 2 year letterman. He played 2 years until he got hurt and hung it up.

2010: Butch Jones

I think the clear ranking should be:

1. Dooley (worst)
2. Pruitt
3. Kiffin
4. Butch (best)

Of the four terrible coaches we’ve had since Fulmer, (I hate to say it) Butch was the best. But….he was a piece of s*** and I hated him, as a person, the most (Shy Tuttle incident, Mack Crowder incident, Drae Bowles incident, kicking Jauan off the team, trash cans, champions of life/five star hearts/leadership reps/brick by brick, etc). He also was responsible for by far the most miserable season I’ve personally had to endure. 2017 was an abomination and a disgrace to the UT football tradition. The only year I felt ashamed to be a Tennessee fan and wouldn’t even wear my UT hat in public, like I always do. Pruitt had the worst single loss, for sure, but at least he never went 0-8 in the SEC.

I rank Dooley worst because of on field results and recruiting. He was the worst recruiter (signed zero offensive linemen in 2012, what a f***ing moron), never won a bowl, blew the streak against UK, never had a winning season and worst of all, had zero wins of note. At least Pruitt beat Auburn for the first time since 1999, stomped a good Kentucky team and won the Gator Bowl. Dooley? Nothing but choke jobs and ass beatings.

Kiffin is UT’s fault. Dumb contract. He had more coaching acumen in his thumb than all of them combined.

Pruitt sucked, majorly. But again, there were at least two or three notable moments. Even if he was a scumbag and left UT in scandal. I still can’t believe Fulmer, of all people, hired a Bammer.

Just looking at the record Butch was the best of the three, so I agree with your list. The caveat I have is that Kiffin might have done better, and also Kiffin was better in his first year, which is the only fair basis of comparison.

Having said that, they are both POS, so....

VN Store

Back