College Football Super League

I never think these types of list (also GOAT list) have any relevance to them at all. Totally subjective IMO. I was reading an all time GOAT article about baseball recently and never mentioned Stan Musial. Totally lost it credibility.

When I talk about history I think about the entire history not cherry picking to try to prove a false narrative. History is that Ut and Alabama has the most wins in the SEC in history snd also UT is 2nd in Nattys and conference champs in history of the SEC. I don’t believe it said the last 30 years. Because if it was only the last 30 years then UT most definitely don’t get in.
Eventually history becomes recent history... if not, Yale is a powerhouse bud

Georgia doesn't make any sense to me. I've seen them in other lists like this, but they were pretty much a doormat in the 90's, minus a few seasons. Also, every time they've been good, they never finish their run.

So you'd have Tennessee in and UGA out?

Yeah, we are much stronger than UGA before 1970, they are much stronger since.

1869-1969

14. Tennessee, 449-191
28. Georgia, 397-250

1970-2020

7. Georgia, 442-177
18. Tennessee, 400-211

In the AP poll era, we were better than them in the 1930's, 1950's, 1960's, and 1990's. They were better than us in the 1940's, 1970's, 1980's, 2000's and 2010's. Regardless, without slicing and dicing it, in the entire history of CFB, we have 10 more wins than they do.

Didn't Harvard and Yale dominate CFB at one time?

Reactions: VFFL@THE BEACH
If you are going on history, you will need to add Army, FL St, Penn ST.

Perhaps an argument could even be made for Yale and Harvard. But no!

8. Penn State, 902
9. Southern Cal, 852
10. Tennessee, 849

It would be nice to pass Southern Cal and possibly State Penn.

I would if they are simply basing this on "blue blood" programs. I've seen others that are just basing some of the teams on these lists off of recent success.

What's your definition of "blue blood" programs? What do you think a coaches poll would look like? UGA is the third-winningest program in the SEC, only 10 games behind UT, and catching up quickly. Do we count since the beginning or modern era? If we go from the beginning, Harvard, Yale and Penn are ahead of Tennessee and UGA.

What's your definition of "blue blood" programs? What do you think a coaches poll would look like? UGA is the third-winningest program in the SEC, only 10 games behind UT, and catching up quickly. Do we count since the beginning or modern era? If we go from the beginning, Harvard, Yale and Penn are ahead of Tennessee and UGA.
Harvard, Yale and Penn don't count anymore because they aren't FBS anymore. That's pretty simple.

Would LSU football be in a college football ‘Super League’?

We made the cut....

The No-Brainers
  1. Alabama Crimson Tide
  2. Clemson Tigers
  3. LSU Tigers
  4. Oklahoma Sooners
  5. Ohio State Buckeyes
  6. Georgia Bulldogs
  7. Florida Gators
  8. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
These programs deserve a spot, based on their history
  1. USC Trojans
  2. Miami Hurricanes
  3. Auburn Tigers
  4. Tennessee Volunteers
  5. Michigan Wolverines
  6. Texas Longhorns
  7. Nebraska Cornhuskers

The Miami Hurricanes have no "history" prior to the 1980s. Please. And Florida has no history prior to Spurrier.

So we're using "historical", but only in certain circumstances?
If a team is not a member of FBS anymore, I think it's pretty obvious why they wouldn't be counted in a list of all-time winningest FBS teams. In any event, the Ivy League left Division 1-A (the immediate predecessor to FBS) in 1983. That's 38 years ago, any wins they have accumulated against each other that time are not FBS wins, so their actual number of FBS wins is in fact lower than Tennessee and Georgia too for that matter. I'm not sure why this is controversial or a hard to understand distinction.

If a team is not a member of FBS anymore, I think it's pretty obvious why they wouldn't be counted in a list of all-time winningest FBS teams. In any event, the Ivy League left Division 1-A (the immediate predecessor to FBS) in 1983. That's 38 years ago, any wins they have accumulated against each other that time are not FBS wins, so their actual number of FBS wins is in fact lower than Tennessee and Georgia too for that matter. I'm not sure why this is controversial or a hard to understand distinction.

Didn't see where this fictitious league description said anything about FBS teams. Maybe I scanned over it. In any event, if we're not counting history we shouldn't count history. Anyone in their right mind would take a recent sampling of, say, the present century, which is now over 20 years old. 20 years is plenty of sample time to ascertain which programs are top tier.

That list of 15 would include:

Boise State
Texas
Oklahoma
Ohio State
Southern California
Florida
TCU
LSU
Georgia
Virginia Tech
Miami (FL)
Utah
Oregon
Auburn
West Virginia

Didn't see where this fictitious league description said anything about FBS teams. Maybe I scanned over it. In any event, if we're not counting history we shouldn't count history. Anyone in their right mind would take a recent sampling of, say, the present century, which is now over 20 years old. 20 years is plenty of sample time to ascertain which programs are top tier.

That list of 15 would include:

Boise State
Texas
Oklahoma
Ohio State
Southern California
Florida
TCU
LSU
Georgia
Virginia Tech
Miami (FL)
Utah
Oregon
Auburn
West Virginia
Every team on every published list that I have seen is FBS. Try again.

VN Store

Back