College Football Super League

Maxwell865

Welcome to the Nico Show
Would LSU football be in a college football ‘Super League’?

We made the cut....

The No-Brainers
  1. Alabama Crimson Tide
  2. Clemson Tigers
  3. LSU Tigers
  4. Oklahoma Sooners
  5. Ohio State Buckeyes
  6. Georgia Bulldogs
  7. Florida Gators
  8. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
These programs deserve a spot, based on their history
  1. USC Trojans
  2. Miami Hurricanes
  3. Auburn Tigers
  4. Tennessee Volunteers
  5. Michigan Wolverines
  6. Texas Longhorns
  7. Nebraska Cornhuskers

If we were to play any of those teams listed above, we would not be favored in any of them.

Sad.

Reactions: Boca Vol
Would LSU football be in a college football ‘Super League’?

We made the cut....

The No-Brainers
  1. Alabama Crimson Tide
  2. Clemson Tigers
  3. LSU Tigers
  4. Oklahoma Sooners
  5. Ohio State Buckeyes
  6. Georgia Bulldogs
  7. Florida Gators
  8. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
These programs deserve a spot, based on their history
  1. USC Trojans
  2. Miami Hurricanes
  3. Auburn Tigers
  4. Tennessee Volunteers
  5. Michigan Wolverines
  6. Texas Longhorns
  7. Nebraska Cornhuskers
What history does auburn have?

Creating a "Super League" today is subjective and unfair. With the way teams are up and down it really depends on what era of college football you are in when this question is posed. Clemson is number two based on a relatively small sample and recent run of success. USC is a "deserve a spot" but would have been a "no brainer" in the Carroll era. Same with UT in the late 90's. No one was talking about Bama until Saban's second or third year.

A better fantasy situation is creating a "Super League" where time is irrelevant, but you can only have one team from any one school. No Bryant Bama vs Saban Bama, you got to pick one.

More heisman winners and same amount of nattys as us last 30 years
When I talk about history I think about the entire history not cherry picking to try to prove a false narrative. History is that Ut and Alabama has the most wins in the SEC in history snd also UT is 2nd in Nattys and conference champs in history of the SEC. I don’t believe it said the last 30 years. Because if it was only the last 30 years then UT most definitely don’t get in.

When I talk about history I think about the entire history not cherry picking to try to prove a false narrative. History is that Ut and Alabama has the most wins in the SEC in history snd also UT is 2nd in Nattys and conference champs in history of the SEC. I don’t believe it said the last 30 years. Because if it was only the last 30 years then UT most definitely don’t get in.
We are very close to losing those second place distinctions.

SEC championships all time:
  • Alabama – 28
  • Georgia – 13
  • Tennessee – 13
  • LSU – 12
  • Florida – 8
  • Auburn – 8
  • Ole Miss – 6
  • *Georgia Tech – 5
  • *Tulane – 3
  • Kentucky – 2
  • Mississippi State – 1
Top 20 wins all time:

1. Michigan, 964
2. Ohio State, 931
3. Alabama, 929
4. Texas, 923
5. Notre Dame, 918
6. Oklahoma, 917
7. Nebraska, 905
8. Penn State, 902
9. Southern Cal, 852
10. Tennessee, 849
11. Georgia, 839
12. LSU, 817
13. Auburn, 782
14. Clemson, 768
15. West Virginia, 761
16. Texas A&M, 758
17. Virginia Tech, 756
18. Washington, 746
19. Florida, 743
20. Georgia Tech, 741

Coming up with a legitimate comparison of
national championships is a difficult undertaking but this is the best effort I've ever seen in that regard, add one for Bama for 2020.

THE definitive national champ for each season, 1869-2019

Last edited:
Georgia doesn't make any sense to me. I've seen them in other lists like this, but they were pretty much a doormat in the 90's, minus a few seasons. Also, every time they've been good, they never finish their run.
I think we are 10 wins ahead of UGA all time now. They will probably pass us next year. They are also tied with us for SEC championships.

Last edited:
Georgia has yet to put the cherry on top despite their success and consistent winning seasons and all the talent they have had since 2001 when Richt started. I do think Kirby will eventually bring them a natty but I got to see it to believe it they seem inclined to choke at the biggest moments until then 1980!!!

Last edited:
Do not want this. Would come around to favoring teams with strong in-state talent pools. Fear we'd become a doormat, with Nebraska.

Good news is that Clemson would quickly trend to doormat status, along with Notre Dame

Georgia has yet to put the cherry on top despite their success and consistent winning seasons and all the talent they have had since 2001 when Richt started. I do think Kirby will eventually bring them a natty but I got to see it to believe it they seem inclined to choke at the biggest moments until then 1980!!!
I did some research a while back, which I will post one day when I finish which compares recruiting rankings versus final rankings of SEC teams and other notable teams going back to 2000 (reliable recruiting rankings are hard to find before that). One thing I didn't realize, which I think alot of people don't realize is that Kirby is recruiting A LOT better than Richt. Richt was generally in the 7-12 range. He only got a better class than that once or twice. Kirby was 6th or 7th his first year but since then has been Top 3 or 4 every year, with a couple of #1's.

Reactions: Trojan_Vol
We are very close to losing those second place distinctions.

SEC championships all time:
  • Alabama – 28
  • Georgia – 13
  • Tennessee – 13
  • LSU – 12
  • Florida – 8
  • Auburn – 8
  • Ole Miss – 6
  • *Georgia Tech – 5
  • *Tulane – 3
  • Kentucky – 2
  • Mississippi State – 1
Top 20 wins all time:

1. Michigan, 964
2. Ohio State, 931
3. Alabama, 929
4. Texas, 923
5. Notre Dame, 918
6. Oklahoma, 917
7. Nebraska, 905
8. Penn State, 902
9. Southern Cal, 852
10. Tennessee, 849
11. Georgia, 839
12. LSU, 817
13. Auburn, 782
14. Clemson, 768
15. West Virginia, 761
16. Texas A&M, 758
17. Virginia Tech, 756
18. Washington, 746
19. Florida, 743
20. Georgia Tech, 741

Coming up with a legitimate comparison of
national championships is a difficult undertaking but this is the best effort I've ever seen in that regard, add one for Bama for 2020.

THE definitive national champ for each season, 1869-2019
And as you have seen it has taken UGA 30 years for Tennessee football not to be good for them to have a chance to catch us. If we can get back to normal UGA will be in there rightful place, right behind us and chasing.

Winning an SEC title and a National title are more difficult since the SEC split into divisions in '92 and the creation of the BCS in '98. Before '92, you had multiple SEC winners. For instance, in '89 there were 3 conference champions (UT, Bama, and Auburn). UT beat Auburn, Bama beat UT, and Auburn beat Bama. All 3 claim the title. Similar to the NC with multiple polls.

UT hasn't won an SEC or NC since '98. I know Bama makes it look easy, and UF did, as well. But it's not easy to win the SEC or a National title.

And as you have seen it has taken UGA 30 years for Tennessee football not to be good for them to have a chance to catch us. If we can get back to normal UGA will be in there rightful place, right behind us and chasing.
Yeah, we are much stronger than UGA before 1970, they are much stronger since.

1869-1969

14. Tennessee, 449-191
28. Georgia, 397-250

1970-2020

7. Georgia, 442-177
18. Tennessee, 400-211

In the AP poll era, we were better than them in the 1930's, 1950's, 1960's, and 1990's. They were better than us in the 1940's, 1970's, 1980's, 2000's and 2010's. Regardless, without slicing and dicing it, in the entire history of CFB, we have 10 more wins than they do.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back