College Football season Poorest/Richest Programs

247Sports take: According to the raw numbers, Tennessee made just over $55 million for 2018's 5-7 faceplant, a jaw-dropping number which shows how much athletics means to Knoxville and its surrounding fans across the state. With that much profit, imagine what the number will be down the road if head coach Jeremy Pruitt turns the Vols back into a national title contender. Therein lies the greatest question however considering this season's embarrassing finish for a coach who is now on the hot seat.

There went the “we can’t afford to fire Pruitt” argument

Here is what 4 cheap hires do in a row to your total athletic dept revenue...

In 2007, we had 32% more athletic revenue than A&M. Now they have 48% more than us.
In 2007, we had 11% more athletic revenue than Bama. Now they have 14.1% more than us.
In 2007, we had 24.3% more athletic revenue than UGA. Now they have 21.1% more than us.
In 2007, we had 27.6% more athletic revenue than LSU. Now they have 10% more than us.
In 2007, we had 19% more athletic revenue than Auburn. Now they have 6.1% more than us.
In 2007, we had 59.2% more athletic revenue than UK. Now they have 5% more than us.

In 2007, we had 61% more athletic revenue than USCe. Now we only have 2% more than them.
In 2007, we had 49% more athletic revenue than Arky. Now we have only 4% more than them.
In 2007, we had 354% more athletic revenue than MSU. Now we have 22% more than them.

Here is what 4 cheap hires do in a row to your total athletic dept revenue...

In 2007, we had 32% more athletic revenue than A&M. Now they have 48% more than us.
In 2007, we had 11% more athletic revenue than Bama. Now they have 14.1% more than us.
In 2007, we had 24.3% more athletic revenue than UGA. Now they have 21.1% more than us.
In 2007, we had 27.6% more athletic revenue than LSU. Now they have 10% more than us.
In 2007, we had 19% more athletic revenue than Auburn. Now they have 6.1% more than us.
In 2007, we had 59.2% more athletic revenue than UK. Now they have 5% more than us.

In 2007, we had 61% more athletic revenue than USCe. Now we only have 2% more than them.
In 2007, we had 49% more athletic revenue than Arky. Now we have only 4% more than them.
In 2007, we had 354% more athletic revenue than MSU. Now we have 22% more than them.

That is staggering. Bad coaching hires kill programs

That is staggering. Bad coaching hires kill programs

2019 - Tennessee Athletic Dept as a whole
had a surplus of roughly $800,000

2019 - Tennessee boosters contributed
roughly $31 million

Compare that to...

2019 - Texas A&M Athletic Dept as a whole
had a surplus of roughly $43 million

2019 - Texas A&M boosters contributed
roughly $89 million

No, Tennessee does not have the funds to go out and get a proven HC like Texas A&M did when they gave Jimbo a 10 year / $75 mil fully guaranteed contract.

I doubt anyone on VolNation would have approved of TN hiring Jimbo Fisher and giving him a 10 year fully guaranteed contract when Florida St (at the time of his hire) was in a nose dive.

roughly $31 million

Compare that to...

roughly $89 million

No, Tennessee does not have the funds to go out and get a proven HC like Texas A&M did when they gave Jimbo a 10 year / $75 mil fully guaranteed contract.

I doubt anyone on VolNation would have approved of TN hiring Jimbo Fisher and giving him a 10 year fully guaranteed contract when Florida St (at the time of his hire) was in a nose dive.

Look at this @The Original Fade we have someone from the athletic department on here trying to do some PR. Wonder if this is the same person who tried to do the Schiano PR the week before Schiano Sunday

Look at this @The Original Fade we have someone from the athletic department on here trying to do some PR. Wonder if this is the same person who tried to do the Schiano PR the week before Schiano Sunday

Look at this Original Fade, we have someone on here that doesn’t like seeing the TRUTH.

If you look back at other threads, you will see that I damn sure wasn’t pushing for Schiano. I was throwing him under the bus wise guy and scolding those that attempted to back Schiano. That has nothing to do with the UT ATH DEPT being strapped for cash.

Look at this Original Fade, we have someone on here that doesn’t like seeing the TRUTH.

If you look back at other threads, you will see that I damn sure wasn’t pushing for Schiano. I was throwing him under the bus wise guy and scolding those that attempted to back Schiano. That has nothing to do with the UT ATH DEPT being strapped for cash.

The UTAD is only strapped for cash due to their incompetence. You can tell that to everyone there in the office tomorrow morning....

Love how you scolded the Schiano hire considering you've been a member for a month.

roughly $31 million

Compare that to...

roughly $89 million

Just wait until the fans stop caring because the product on the field is so bad. That 800K surplus will feel like winning the lottery compared to the losses the come with fan apathy. It’s already starting to happen.

Reactions: PSYVOL and TJSVOLS
The UTAD is only strapped for cash due to their incompetence. You can tell that to everyone there in the office tomorrow morning....

Love how you scolded the Schiano hire considering you've been a member for a month.

I have referenced that as well. You the damn seniority authority on VN?

Walking back the Schiano insult still doesn’t speak to the question at hand. Where is the money to hire a new staff and pay the buyouts for the existing staff?

Our boosters have gotten their ass kicked by our competition. Your $50 sweater vest won’t do **** though.

Last edited:
Just wait until the fans stop caring because the product on the field is so bad. That 800K surplus will feel like winning the lottery compared to the losses the come with fan apathy. It’s already starting to happen.

I agree. I have said it before though, I believe we win 7-9 games this year no matter who the coach is. If we decide to move on after this year, we will be in a much better place to swing for the fence. My opinion only and I could be wrong.

I have referenced that as well. You the damn seniority authority on VN?

Walking back the Schiano insult still doesn’t speak to the question at hand. Where is the money to hire a new staff and pay the buyouts for the existing staff?

Our boosters have gotten their ass kicked my our competition. Your $50 sweater vest won’t do **** though.

I'm not the senior authority. I am immature, I have an elephant ass avatar, the mods don't like me and most of the posters don't like me. With that being said, I'm not stupid.

Look at our athletic department revenue growth since 2007. Look at every other SEC school's revenue growth. If we only kept pace with the rest of the SEC, the UTAD would have had plenty of $$$$. But hey, maybe the fanbase got sick of 4 bargain bin hires in a row and you all couldn't control your spending to keep up with the lowest revenue growth in the SEC. But yeah, you all will kick the can down the road and instead of paying Pruitt and staff $18-19MM or so to leave this year, you will pay them $16-17MM next year. You all will make some assistant coach that no-one else wants a millionaire when we fire the staff next offseason. In order to kick the can down the road to potentially save a $1-$2M, how much will that cost us in revenue? Probably the same person who did that math is the same person who decided Pruitt didn't need an offset clause in his contract.

UTK has an 800k surplus by design combined with paying stupid buyouts like Warlick and constantly lining the pockets of building contractors. Two years ago the surplus was 11 million. 5 million went to more Neyland renovations. 5.8 went to other construction projects. UT makes massive amounts of money, more than most of the SEC.

They just spend it idiotically and also have traditionally given most of their surplus to the academic side of things. At one point a few years ago athletics was handing over close to 8 million a year in direct payments to academics plus all they paid the academic side for the multitude of out of state athletic scholarships. The direct payment was still over a million dollars last year.

To make even more money, be serious about winning football. UT is losing literally millions in potential income each year because we have idiots hiring morons on the football side. That goes for the idiots making AD hires and the idiot ADs making terrible moronic coaching hires.

UTAD is the football equivalent of a lawyer who complains about being broke all the time but has a 9000 square foot home, a vacation home and buys two 100k+ cars every year.

I agree. I have said it before though, I believe we win 7-9 games this year no matter who the coach is. If we decide to move on after this year, we will be in a much better place to swing for the fence. My opinion only and I could be wrong.

I agree here. The schedule is extremely light and anything less than 8 is really worrisome. See, I can be reasonable...

Of course, I figure 7-5 with that light schedule will be enough for another extension though.

UTK has an 800k surplus by design combined with paying stupid buyouts like Warlick and constantly lining the pockets of building contractors. Two years ago the surplus was 11 million. 5 million went to more Neyland renovations. 5.8 went to other construction projects. UT makes massive amounts of money, more than most of the SEC.

They just spend it idiotically and also have traditionally given most of their surplus to the academic side of things. At one point a few years ago athletics was handing over close to 8 million a year in direct payments to academics plus all they paid the academic side for the multitude of out of state athletic scholarships. The direct payment was still over a million dollars last year.

To make even more money, be serious about winning football. UT is losing literally millions in potential income each year because we have idiots hiring morons on the football side. That goes for the idiots making AD hires and the idiot ADs making terrible moronic coaching hires.

UTAD is the football equivalent of a lawyer who complains about being broke all the time but has a 9000 square foot home, a vacation home and buys two 100k+ cars every year.
Post of the night ^

I agree here. The schedule is extremely light and anything less than 8 is really worrisome. See, I can be reasonable...

Of course, I figure 7-5 with that light schedule will be enough for another extension though.

No extension short of SEC Championship Game appearance. Of course that would require a win over GA and/or FL at minimum.
Your 7-5 prediction might get him year 5 with that being his ‘put up or shut year’. Doubt it but depends on who the wins are against.

Looking back at this year's performance and then looking at the schedule, who are picking for the 7 wins?

Historically, I would say Bama, UF, and UGA are guaranteed L's with the rest of the games being either favored or at least even. 3 Def losses

Based on last season, however, the only guaranteed wins I'd pick are BG, S Ala, Vandy and USCe with a first time HC at the helm. Btw, if Beamer wins Pruitt needs to be fired on the spot. 4 Wins

I think Pitt, Ole Miss, Mizzou, and UK are toss-ups at best. 4 Maybes but probably not. I think 1-3 is most likely by beating Pitt.

7-5 is certainly in the cards and any competent HC at UT should go 9-3 but we are sooooo far past 'competent' at this point that 5-7 or 6-6 is probably more likely.

Last thing, I hate the term 'optics' but if Pruitt does manage to turn a 9-3 season into 6-6 AND UT finally fires him, the 'optics' won't look good based on UT's stellar record with coaching changes. After this year, nobody would bat an eye. But we 'saved' a couple mil on his buyout.....

There went the “we can’t afford to fire Pruitt” argument

If that didn't do it then this should have:

If the SEC-ESPN deal is worth the reported $300-plus million a year, SEC schools each stand to make about $20 million more in annual TV revenue checks starting in 2024, eclipsing the Big Ten as the richest conference in terms of annual TV cash.

VN Store

Back