College Baseball - Transfer Portal Tracker

It’s one thing to miss out on portal targets, that’s disappointing but ultimately not a big deal. It would be another thing entirely to see our players get poached by LSU and leave solely for money. I hope like hell that doesn’t happen.

Dollander already used his transfer so he is not going anywhere. But, Burns could go I suppose. I can’t see that sitting well with Vitello if something like that happened.

It’s one thing to miss out on portal targets, that’s disappointing but ultimately not a big deal. It would be another thing entirely to see our players get poached by LSU and leave solely for money. I hope like hell that doesn’t happen.

Dollander already used his transfer so he is not going anywhere. But, Burns could go I suppose. I can’t see that sitting well with Vitello if something like that happened.
Is there a transfer rule on how many times a player is allowed to change schools?

All this discussion over NIL inspired me to jump in and make contributions to both Friends of the BaseVols and Spyre Sports (via The Volunteer Club) this morning. Since I'm not able to attend games in person, this is one way I can still help support our baseball team. This is also a way to help release frustration over the current state of things.

Last edited:
Not spectacular does not work when you are spending millions to win. Talk about expectations. It will be Sec regular season, sec tournament and Natty. Anything else will be failure

To be fair, do we believe LSU fans didn’t already have those expectations before the spending spree? The spending spree seems to be a response to those stupidly high expectations not being met.

If Burns were in it for the money, he’d be in the minor leagues right now.

To be fair, do we believe LSU fans didn’t already have those expectations before the spending spree? The spending spree seems to be a response to those stupidly high expectations not being met.
I agree. You can’t go to Hoover or Omaha and see the large number of LSU fans there and realize they have standing reservations because they expect to be there every year and compete

I actually am a former college baseball player who grew up in East Tennessee and live in Nashville now. Also have lived in Birmingham, Atlanta, and Palm Beach.

If you took off the orange blinders, you would see I've been extremely critical of Corbin/Vandy and Sully/UF. They each have been at their schools long enough to shoulder all the blame for issues arising from their program.

Observing and acknowledging stronger and weaker points in every program is what people who love baseball (especially college) do.

Edit: if the Atlanta Braves had a forum, I would probably be there instead of here. But, this does the trick, especially for convos around the college game. (Especially at work :p)
The Atlanta Braves Thread: Brought to you by Celsius. Live fit. | Page 6369 | VolNation.com

VN has a MLB forum, too.

Prediction - LSU will be a dumpster fire with their fanbase midway through the SEC season......

I hope you're right, but don't kid yourself. They are firing shots across all SEC bows. They have a very aggressive AD and money won't be a problem for them. They are out to reclaim what they believe is theirs: dominance of the SEC and all college baseball. They're going to give this new coach everything he says he needs to succeed at that. They see the emergence of a powerhouse in Tennessee, plus the two Mississippi schools have won natties, plus A&M on the rise and the imminent joining of Texas and OK, not to mention a very successful Arkansas program. They are making a big-time move to jump into the fray. They understand what this will take. If they give the coach all of the pieces, then it is going to come down to whether he can lead the orchestra or not. From what I can see, nothing in his career says he cannot. But we don't know if he can, either. So, we will just have to wait and see. Meanwhile, our fan base and donors need to step up like TN_gal and see to it that we can compete with NIL money.

Watching LSU in Hoover I told wife that Tiger fans likely have Johnson on a short leash. He seems in over his head.
I’d agree with this. It shouldn’t matter, if you can coach you coach, but the fit just didn’t seem right from the beginning. He obviously plays a different style than the stereotypical west coast small-ball but they didn’t seem to have any kind of identity other than gorilla ball. Pitching was average (likely will get better with new hire) and the defense was absolutely atrocious; after being extremely strong in 2021.

Reactions: feathersax
I’d agree with this. It shouldn’t matter, if you can coach you coach, but the fit just didn’t seem right from the beginning. He obviously plays a different style than the stereotypical west coast small-ball but they didn’t seem to have any kind of identity other than gorilla ball. Pitching was average (likely will get better with new hire) and the defense was absolutely atrocious; after being extremely strong in 2021.

It strikes me as funny that they'd go spend a bunch of money on a home run coach, only to have to spend a bunch of money getting him the best players on the planet so he can win. Seems like spending all that money on a coach should pay for itself.

VN Store

Back