College Baseball - Transfer Portal Tracker

Off topic, but who is in the mix for the right field job?

I'm putting my money on Kavares Tears, but I know nothing. That's just a flat out guess. Some say we will get a transfer guy named Backus from Walters State for RF, a right hand power hitter. But I haven't seen a commitment yet. And I suppose Christian Scott or Kyle Booker are candidates, whichever one doesn't play CF. (assuming Seth leaves)

Christian Moore (CMO) if not at second base. Kyle Booker will probably play one of the of positions. Jared Dickey if not our future catcher. JUCO from Walters State Backus (sp) will be in the mix. Kaveras Tears if not at first. Christian Scott if he can get consistent at the plate. Last but certainly not least Seth Sevenson if he comes back.

I think Logan Steemstra will play third next year. Did an excellent job last year filling in at SS when Liam Spense had a hamstring injury. He is 6'5" and suited to play third or first. But think Burke may have first nailed down.

This is a deep and talented line up.

Last edited:
I'm putting my money on Kavares Tears, but I know nothing. That's just a flat out guess. Some say we will get a transfer guy named Backus from Walters State for RF, a right hand power hitter. But I haven't seen a commitment yet. And I suppose Christian Scott or Kyle Booker are candidates, whichever one doesn't play CF. (assuming Seth leaves)
Backus is already committed.

I think Logan Steemstra will play third next year. Did an excellent job last year filling in at SS when Liam Spense had a hamstring injury

That's a good take, I think. Last year as a reserve player he hit 295. In 44 AB's, he hit 4 doubles and 3 homers and 5 walks, all good %. That's not bad at all, but I think he saw most of his action in non-conference games, if memory serves me (which it doesn't very often these days). On the other hand, he struck out 18 times, which is not a good % at all. Defensively, he gave a good accounting of himself - 0 errors in 59 chances.

Tears definitely looks the part. And, he was forever doing the long throws with Jordan.

I am strongly rooting for Christian and Kyle to earn more playing time. But, this year, I wasn't impressed with their bats. But, next year is a new season! If asked a year ago, I never would have dreamed that Trey could crank 20+ bombs.

Tears definitely looks the part. And, he was forever doing the long throws with Jordan.

I am strongly rooting for Christian and Kyle to earn more playing time. But, this year, I wasn't impressed with their bats. But, next year is a new season! If asked a year ago, I never would have dreamed that Trey could crank 20+ bombs.

Zactly. I think Kyle's injury set him back in getting ready for the season and he never truly got going. I think he's a better hitter than he showed out last year. I'm reading Juanita's reports on him with a great deal of interest to see if he starts hitting. I know he can play defense. I don't think Christian was injured last season. If that's true, he looks more like a glove man, 4th outfielder late replacement for defense type. He could have a big role on the team to protect leads, like he did so brilliantly at Florida.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Zactly. I think Kyle's injury set him back in getting ready for the season and he never truly got going. I think he's a better hitter than he showed out last year. I'm reading Juanita's reports on him with a great deal of interest to see if he starts hitting. I know he can play defense. I don't think Christian was injured last season. If that's true, he looks more like a glove man, 4th outfielder late replacement for defense type. He could have a big role on the team to protect leads, like he did so brilliantly at Florida.

Christian is really good with the glove. With Drew departing, I think he is the best defensive center fielder returning.

100%

In interviews, Coach Vitello has said, "Our roster is pretty well set. We will take no more than 2-3 players from the portal. Maybe 4 if the right players are available." I think Coach Vitello wanted an elite SS and catcher. We have the SS. Now let's see about Skenes as a catcher.

White and Skenes were always long shots to me. You would be in deNIaL if you thought the only thing Tommy White was looking for was playing time and Skenes is giving up a guaranteed military career with significant benefit$ (salary) while getting a prestigious degree from the AF Academy. We may not have even been close... on what he will be promised.

My advice to everyone is trust Coach Vitello. We have had the best college baseball program in America for the last three years. No reason to believe that is in danger.
Yep. As a manager on the field, he's got a bit to learn, but as an evaluator of talent and assembling a roster, Tony V knows his stuff. He will add what he needs if and when he needs it. Of that, I am not the least but concerned. He's earned trust in that regard.

There are a dirty dozen candyboys in the portal. After costing Kumar $100m, the stench coming off Corbin is rather foul. At least they can look forward to football season.......baaaaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!

Vanderbilt baseball transfer tracker: Who has entered the portal (yahoo.com)

They’re also getting a 1st round pitcher coming in from high school in Indiana. He just announced that he will forgo the draft and play at Vanderbilt next year.

This makes sense, but there is an old saying that trumps it: Money talks and everything else walks. LSU has a LOT of money, a very aggressive AD, and a burning desire to get back to championship status.

Agreed in most situations (and any professional situation), but I guess I would think of NIL as a marginal "cherry on top" bonus to the situation (not considering edge cases where a kid grows up in a 0.0001% lowest income household and desperately needs cash).

I guess I don't see the long term return on this. Football NIL will pay for itself in merchandise, ticket sales, etc. Basketball will too. Baseball is much more uncertain, and I'd lean towards no long-term financial return.

In this situation, Tommy is looking for playing time on the field. Little is looking to be a rotation arm. Am I thinking through this incorrectly?

There are a dirty dozen candyboys in the portal. After costing Kumar $100m, the stench coming off Corbin is rather foul. At least they can look forward to football season.......baaaaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!

Vanderbilt baseball transfer tracker: Who has entered the portal (yahoo.com)

Less this, and more about lack of talent on the roster. Corbin is notorious for "brutally honesting" people off the team with regards to playing time. This year's class is huge. Sully at UF and MSU do this as well. Vitello will probably begin to do this, as the recruiting classes improve YoY.

Agreed in most situations (and any professional situation), but I guess I would think of NIL as a marginal "cherry on top" bonus to the situation (not considering edge cases where a kid grows up in a 0.0001% lowest income household and desperately needs cash).

I guess I don't see the long term return on this. Football NIL will pay for itself in merchandise, ticket sales, etc. Basketball will too. Baseball is much more uncertain, and I'd lean towards no long-term financial return.

In this situation, Tommy is looking for playing time on the field. Little is looking to be a rotation arm. Am I thinking through this incorrectly?

Well, let's try to think about it logically. (I said try, because I'm not very good at it. So correct my reasoning if it is a little off)

If it were true that White is only looking for time on defense, is LSU the only top flight program offering that? Obviously not. That isn't proof that he chose LSU because of NIL, but it does indicate he didn't choose simply for defensive playing time. I'm guessing that with a an already created character name of Tommy Tanks, which is ready made for household name recognition and Babe Ruth analogies with his prodigious power, the marketing angles are endless, and so he might just be the exception to the rule about NIL and baseball. His NIL deal might be a whole lot more than a "cherry on top."

Less this, and more about lack of talent on the roster. Corbin is notorious for "brutally honesting" people off the team with regards to playing time. This year's class is huge. Sully at UF and MSU do this as well. Vitello will probably begin to do this, as the recruiting classes improve YoY.

So, are you saying Corbin "brutally honested" more than a dozen players (that he recruited) off his team to make room for a bunch of more talented freshmen and/or portal guys? That's a hell of a lot of brutality. If I were a talented freshman, I'd think twice before committing to a coach that would drop me like a hot potato for the next pretty little thing to come along.

So, are you saying Corbin "brutally honested" more than a dozen players (that he recruited) off his team to make room for a bunch of more talented freshmen and/or portal guys? That's a hell of a lot of brutality. If I were a talented freshman, I'd think twice before committing to a coach that would drop me like a hot potato for the next pretty little thing to come along.

That is how big baseball works? Look at the transfer list out of SC, UF, MSU, etc. every year.

He recruited them, so his 5-6 consecutive #1 classes are devoid of talent?

He recruited them, so his 5-6 consecutive #1 classes are devoid of talent?

Massacred by the draft. He has done a poor job of recruiting the lower end of the class for sure. Edit: He has also done a mediocre job of developing talent recently as well. If you look back at my previous posts, his main downfall so far is relying on Brooks Webb/USA baseball to get early commitments.

Massacred by the draft. He has done a poor job of recruiting the lower end of the class for sure.
He’s not grinding in his evaluations if I’m looking at it from the surface. He’s taking a lot of guys that everyone knows aren’t going to make it to campus, similar to Serrano in several classes. House was CTV’s only sure-fire signee going into last years class but if the #1 player in the nation wants to commit you don’t turn him down, for publicity if nothing else. Corbin is letting the services/draft boards guide his recruiting.

With that said, Casas, Young, Little etc. are top 100 guys who were not casualties of the draft. If they lack talent then that’s on Corbs and his staff.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back