College Baseball - Transfer Portal Tracker

Wow. That is so frustrating. I guess it shouldn’t be surprising because baseball will always be 3rd fiddle here, but after the season we just had this is not what you want to hear. I bet Vitello is extremely unhappy. I guess we can kiss Paul Skenes goodbye.
It maybe 3rd fiddle but will be 1st in terms of overall success on the field.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Vitello and staff are best recruiters in the business but when you can't match the money (NIL deals) that other schools can give it does not matter. Would you rather go to #1 team in the nation with just scholarship and small NIL opportunities or another SEC school with scholarship and $100,000 (just a hypothetical) NIL deal already in place. You can't compete with that. Spyre talks about the millions he has done but most of that is football and basketball.

I don't think Danny White has anything to do with NIL. It is individual Vol Supporters. I know LSU has put together a large group of LSU faithful baseball guys who have a sum of millions, I'm told, that are available for NIL deals. I would say none of our players have gotten enough to buy a car yet much less pay for their schooling unless there is something going on I'm not seeing. The NIL will allow the schools that love their baseball to get kids, especially proven kids out of the transfer portal and bring them all together with salaries (NIL deals). I willing to bet that some college comes up with the money to allow their coach to go get the top 20 players in the nation and put them together to buy a Natty.

Even TOS site is talking about Danny and NIL.

It maybe 3rd fiddle but will be 1st in terms of overall success on the field.

I mean…..not if we don’t support it. We’re not going to be the most successful for long if we don’t give Vitello the resources he needs to compete as preacher man just said. Vitello can only do so much. If other blue blood programs are out there buying championships and we only have enough money for a McDouble and a small French Fry our success will dry up quickly.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Vitello and staff are best recruiters in the business but when you can't match the money (NIL deals) that other schools can give it does not matter. Would you rather go to #1 team in the nation with just scholarship and small NIL opportunities or another SEC school with scholarship and $100,000 (just a hypothetical) NIL deal already in place. You can't compete with that. Spyre talks about the millions he has done but most of that is football and basketball.

This is sad. I am sad. What a freaking bummer. Kind of clamps down the excitement for the future.

I'm not too concerned right now, buying a team very seldom works. It will be interesting to see how it plays out, we will be just fine.

That’s fair. It gives me pause in the short term. Maybe in the long term we’ll be okay, but this info definitely has me re-evaluating what to expect our transfer portal haul to be this off-season.

Spyre needs to start including baseball, and the big donors need to step up. This can have an immediate impact as we wait for the LNS renovations.

That’s fair. It gives me pause in the short term. Maybe in the long term we’ll be okay, but this info definitely has me re-evaluating what to expect our transfer portal haul to be this off-season.
We already have one of the best transfers coming....it's gonna be alright lol

Last edited:
I'm a sports nut and I think the big 3 fan support will take care of all coaching salaries and scholarships. Big donors and spyre should start taking better care of this baseball team. This baseball team deserves better treatment. Baseball is great for everyone especially student athletes to get together and socialize. Really hope they straighten this out quickly .

I'm not too concerned right now, buying a team very seldom works. It will be interesting to see how it plays out, we will be just fine.
It would hurt to lose the next Tommy Tanks because he decided to check the open college market after just one year, because he needs more money for needs or family.

We already one of the best transfers coming....it's gonna be alright lol
Yep. I'd bet the farm that Tony V knew tanks decision and he moved on. Makes Dentons contact make perfect sense. Vitellli is on record saying we'd take 2-3 if they were the right guys for our program. His focus has and should be HS players. Transfers fill the gap. Ain't building a program with em.

Thinking through this...Jimmy Haslam gave $248 million to a guy who is/was facing a lawsuit with 24 plaintiffs and a probable suspension. Can we not ask for 5% of that? Priorities are backwards in this world.

However, I do understand tax and business implications. Giving money to Spyre is not tax deductible. Donors want some tax benefits or write off an expense. So, can we not ask the Haslam's to use 5 baseball players as the face of Pilot/Flying J or any other business? Oh well.

Thinking through this...Jimmy Haslam gave $248 million to a guy who is/was facing a lawsuit with 24 plaintiffs and a probable suspension. Can we not ask for 5% of that? Priorities are backwards in this world.

However, I do understand tax and business implications. Giving money to Spyre is not tax deductible. Donors want some tax benefits or write off an expense. So, can we not ask the Haslam's to use 5 baseball players as the face of Pilot/Flying J or any other business? Oh well.

Just change it to read 'Tennessee Gas'.

And, throw a Pilot Logo on the shoulder.

IMHO, worthy of $100k

Gas.jpg

On a related transfer note, I know our starting pitching is pretty well set, but injuries can and do happen. Are we solid enough with pitching that we have an answer if a weekend starter goes down? Similarly, how does it appear our bullpen will play out? Would Tony V be in the market for a closer?

If the NIL concerns remain an issue, how long is CTV going to stick around if he keeps swinging and missing on top talent. CTV knows he can't compete and succeed with out talent. The decision would be easy for him if a school with a better NIL package for players came knocking.

With this news today, I wonder if the Skenes/Dickey situation is what @LA Vol might've been referencing the other day in the recruiting forum. Dickey is intent on playing C, so it makes it a sticky situation to try and bring in Skenes

With this news today, I wonder if the Skenes/Dickey situation is what @LA Vol might've been referencing the other day in the recruiting forum. Dickey is intent on playing C, so it makes it a sticky situation to try and bring in Skenes
Skenes is also a pitcher. Is he a starter or reliever? Wonder what his preference is? We do have a pretty special pitching coach that one would assume to be a major plus.

VN Store

Back